Old 10-15-2015, 03:58 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 10 Times in 5 Posts
Default Careful out there chaps

http://www.dailynews.com/general-new...anhattan-beach

A Hermosa Beach woman blinded in one eye by an errant flying golf disc at Manhattan Beach’s Polliwog Park has settled a lawsuit against the city for $3 million.

Noreen Goodbody endured four surgeries up to eight hours long each in an unsuccessful attempt to save her vision after suffering a detached retina and traumatic cataract in the wake of the August 2012 accident, said attorney David Lederer of Los Angeles-based Lederer & Nojima.

In the process, she racked up more than $202,000 in medical bills and faces the prospect of more surgeries amid ongoing medical problems caused by the sharp, heavy golf disc slamming into her face.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2015, 04:13 PM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 220
Niced 166 Times in 89 Posts

I feel bad for the poor lady. I'm glad she received some level of compensation for what sounds like significant and debilitating injuries; however, if you're in the general vicinity of a disc golf course you should maintain the same level of awareness that you would at a baseball, hockey, or softball field.

I wonder if she would've been successful in her lawsuit if she had been, say, in a baseball bleacher seat and not paying attention.

I don't know the details of original injury, so just throwing out some idle speculation...

Unfortunately, I see more things like this happening when the "Grow the Sport" crowd pushes beginner-level courses into crowded multi-use parks with little to no regard for safe design.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 50
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeshoe View Post
I feel bad for the poor lady. I'm glad she received some level of compensation for what sounds like significant and debilitating injuries; however, if you're in the general vicinity of a disc golf course you should maintain the same level of awareness that you would at a baseball, hockey, or softball field.

I wonder if she would've been successful in her lawsuit if she had been, say, in a baseball bleacher seat and not paying attention.

I don't know the details of original injury, so just throwing out some idle speculation...

Unfortunately, I see more things like this happening when the "Grow the Sport" crowd pushes beginner-level courses into crowded multi-use parks with little to no regard for safe design.
I agree for the most part, except the bolded. The idea that disc golf should be treated the same way as other sports is a cute idea. Here in reality land its not the way it works. The onus is on disc golfers, clubs, and course designers to try to minimize risk *if* you are putting a course in a multi use area.

Also, pay to play disc golf exclusive property takes care of all of these issues
Old 10-15-2015, 04:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

I also hope some of the "duck or bleed" crowd takes notice of this. But I doubt it.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 72
Niced 68 Times in 27 Posts

What if there were "caution flying disc signs" up and around?
Old 10-15-2015, 04:48 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 61
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

How about we don't put disc golf courses into busy urban parks?
Old 10-15-2015, 04:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubeofsoup View Post
How about we don't put disc golf courses into busy urban parks?
I agree with that too. But keep in mind that even if we never put another course in a busy park there are already hundreds, if not thousands already out there in the ground. many have been their for a very long time and get a ton of use.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:51 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeshoe View Post

You can read up on it here.

Notice, in particular, the PUBLISHED "alternate layouts" which were designed by (or at least credited to) MPO PDGA members.

This course was a disaster waiting to happen, even in the original layout, and the "alternate layouts" are a poster child for the point that disc golf is not an activity that's suited for shared public space.

Last edited by coupe; 10-15-2015 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:51 PM
Banned

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

there are many blind shots and blind spots on a DGC!
no pun intended.
THAT ONE FOR SURE!

Last edited by HotPinkBeast; 10-15-2015 at 04:55 PM.

Old 10-15-2015, 04:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 313
Niced 2,207 Times in 1,092 Posts

IMHO, the problem is it's pretty obvious to most people when their amblings take them on to a ball field, rink, court, golf course, or other setting where more common outdoor activities happen where there's a potential risk of pedestrian injuries when the designated activity is taking place.

Additionally, most of those activities take place out in the open, where people can see what's going on around them.

Most people don't even know our sport exists, hardly any public courses have signs indicated to watch out for flying discs.... you're lucky if there's one posted next to the rules near the first hole, let alone on at multiple high traffic every points of access onto the course. Further, by their very design, some of the better courses take advantage of fairways that bend and turn to create blind fairways. Someone out for a leisurely walk in the park (possibly your grandmother) might not even realize they're on a course of some sort, let alone walking in a fairway.

Good course design should make it virtually impossible to hit someone walking on a walking path... that person is exactly where they are supposed to be.

I'm for more signs at key points of access to the course and new courses going in further away from high traffic sections of the park.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 10-15-2015 at 05:01 PM.