Old 11-21-2016, 02:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 249
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 352 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted View Post
I cycle discs. Usually have an understable version of each of my discs in my bag. Sometimes really beat ones.

The one condition where I think you need understable discs is when you are playing in the rain. I struggled with rainy conditions, specifically losing my grip. Someone suggested throwing understable discs at about 60% power... Holy smokes! A lot less grip issues, and the understable discs act more neutral at that power level. Play conservatively and try to hit fairways and make putts.

I thought it was great advice, and really helped me get over my fear of playing in the rain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Butlertron View Post
I tend to disc up or throw a more understable disc then I'd normally use to make up for the lack grip and snap in the rain.

Examples:

Stable distance driver instead of an overstable fairway
Understable control driver instead of a stable fairway
Understable mid instead of a stable putter drive

Not all heroes wear capes
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2016, 07:49 AM

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 6
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Nice thread, a lot of the discs in my bag are quite understable, since I can't throw very far (350ft). But I do carry one putter, one midrange and one distance driver that are really beat and VERY understable.

I use them for:

- Rollers
- Some standstill shots
- Uphill shots
- Long downhill shots that need to stay straight (US midrange)
- Long anhyzer shots
- Hyzerflips that need to still finish right (RHBH)
- Shorter touch approaches that need to stay straight
- Get out of trouble -shots

I have one very very understable driver, a well worn 166g Blizzard Wraith, which I can put on a 45 degree hyzer angle, and it will still finish right with full power (350ft). I have found it very useful, as there's no other disc that I can throw as long throws with the same straight(-ish) line. Also, very long anhyzer shots where I can't reach the pin with a midrange, this is my go-to disc.

Like someone mentioned earlier in the thread, I also think that midrange is probably the most useful disc type to have in understable flavor. However with that being said, I feel that you should have a very understable disc of each type (putter, midrange, FD, DD) in your bag, as you get better you will find uses for each that just makes certain shots much easier to execute.

Last edited by Sopuli; 11-21-2016 at 07:52 AM.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 46.3
Courses Played: 8
Niced 71 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddinski View Post

Do you carry any understable discs in your bag? If so, how many and why?

I'm interested to see how you guys use them.
After skimming the first few pages and not seeing my main reason, tailwinds.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:11 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I only flick rh so it took me a minute to get into under stable discs, but they are useful. I have a super soft omega putter that I can turn left up to 250 feet. The mako3 is a good straight midrange and it will turn with a little more power. I have to release these slower under stables very early in my swing tho, so it takes some practice. Once I got the same snap on my early release, the leopard3 and the roadrunner are both awesome u.s. fairway drivers. Daedalus is probably my go to u.s. distance driver but lately I've been getting great results from lighter, 150-160's, over stable discs which are better for hyzer flips for me. The best part about most under stable discs is they will fly however you throw them. Experiment with the three most important things for controlling ANY type of disc: hyzer angle, power, and release point. Fun stuff. I added 50 ft to my drive hyzer flipping stuff.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.9
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

I use US discs because Ricky Wysocki does. When one of the most versatile throwers, with a superlative forehand, approaches some holes with a turnover shot, that suggests it's necessary.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:08 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 36
Niced 23 Times in 15 Posts

I like to carry understable molds for turnovers, hyzerflips and rollers. They are essential to any players bag. My signature shows which molds I carry, but I do have very understable versions of my Destroyers as well. Some lines can't be thrown as effective with a flick and I do not have a strong enough flick for some holes that bend right.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 29
Niced 336 Times in 211 Posts

McBeth's latest ITB shows he carries 7 Destroyers in varying levels of stability, overstable to understable. Those are his only distance drivers, that surprised me. Also, this is probably the most well done ITB ever, the tracer technology added to the throws is very cool and shows why he carries discs with different flight characteristcs:

https://youtu.be/C43xptOfEvs
Old 11-22-2016, 03:07 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,177 Times in 1,604 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consult20 View Post
McBeth's latest ITB shows he carries 7 Destroyers in varying levels of stability, overstable to understable. Those are his only distance drivers, that surprised me. Also, this is probably the most well done ITB ever, the tracer technology added to the throws is very cool and shows why he carries discs with different flight characteristcs:
https://youtu.be/C43xptOfEvs
I saw that video, and agree that it was well made. I knew he only carried Destroyers as high speed drivers; what surprised me was he carries only two mid molds: Roc3 and Mako3.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:26 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 485 Times in 234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consult20 View Post
Tight wooded hole with dense trees on both sides of a narrow fairway, you end up 125' away on the right edge just off the fairway. Fairway dog legs right to the basket. It's impossible to forehand (assuming RH player) because of dense trees to the right. The only line you have is RHBH that must hold the line all the way to the basket -- if it fades early you're in dense woods to the left.

That's one example where an understable putter is a must (I bag a Discraft Soft APX for this type of shot). Add some length and I'd use an Opto Fuse -- they both hold the line with essentially no fade.

Take the same scenario only flip it around so the dogleg is left and you're on the left side just off the fairway. No backhand possibility, so FH the understable putter or mid, depending on the length.

Without understable discs that hold the line all the way, you just can't get close to the basket -- add a stroke or more.
THIS ^

Old 11-22-2016, 04:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 29
Niced 336 Times in 211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I saw that video, and agree that it was well made. I knew he only carried Destroyers as high speed drivers; what surprised me was he carries only two mid molds: Roc3 and Mako3.
I'll admit I don't keep up on what pros are throwing at a given time, so maybe it's fairly common knowledge he only bags destroyers for distance drivers. I just thought most Innova pros carry Destroyers, Bosses, and Wraiths.