Old 11-21-2016, 10:49 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 27 Times in 20 Posts

I have a Discraft Wave prototype. Basically, Discraft tried the same thing around the same time and said "Nah, these are inconsistent pieces of ****."
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2016, 10:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 106
Niced 102 Times in 65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
I can confirm this. Local Dick's didn't have many molds, but they were well stocked with Grooves. They also had several other high speed drivers, but the only fairways they had were the Leos in the starter sets.

As for discontinuing Grooves: why would you stop making a mold that continues to sell well?
Were the Grooves covered in dust? Maybe they have a lot because they aren't selling?
Old 11-21-2016, 11:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 44
Niced 666 Times in 389 Posts

Honestly the last time I was in my local Dick's (maybe 5 or 6 months ago), they had hardly any Grooves at all. I remember they had plenty of McBeth Destroyers (which are honestly just as bad for a noob as a Groove), some Teebirds, Wraiths, VRocs (random right?), and assorted other discs, mostly in champion or DX plastic with a little Star here and there. But really only a couple Grooves, not a huge showing compared to other high speed drivers. Either our Dick's hasn't gotten the memo to buy Grooves or else the local noobs bought them all. The last time I found a Groove on a local course was, hmmm, maybe 3 years ago. I've found plenty of discs, but I think only 1 Groove ever. Maybe Portlanders just don't like Grooves.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:06 AM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

My very first driver was a DX Wraith and a rock took a huge chunk out of the rim after like 2 rounds, so I went to Dick's and replaced it with a Groove (not knowing any better at the time). I now keep the Groove in my bag to throw into the water, but none of my local courses have water hazards big enough to "lose" a disc

Last edited by Maelstrom; 11-22-2016 at 01:06 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-22-2016, 02:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 688 Times in 543 Posts

Grooves are plentiful in all the retail stores here. Every store I see, be it Dicks or others, has a healthy supply.

I've actually thrown a Groove or two I liked, but lately they've all been super overstable and glideless.

I find them regularly on the courses too. Probably found 15 in the last 4 years.

I'm fully convinced that Grooves are bought by new players who know nothing about discs and want something fast. I also still find plenty of DX Wraiths, Valks and Beasts. Many of them beat so badly they're warped and unusable. People will buy DX discs and use them TO DEATH.

The Groove thing is mystifying though. Why do stores carry it? Why is it so popular despite being widely reviled? I'm thinking Innova made like 50,000,000 of them and push them hard to retail outlets to try to get rid of them.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 106
Niced 102 Times in 65 Posts

It's the groovy name!
Old 11-22-2016, 06:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 67
Niced 664 Times in 321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
Found 8 discs in a lake today. 3 were Grooves. I know they suck. You guys know they suck. Someone, however, still throws them. I've probably actually found close to 10 Grooves this year.

I guess people use them as their hazard discs.
What are you going to do with them?
Old 11-22-2016, 07:51 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.5
Courses Played: 24
Niced 84 Times in 61 Posts

I'm pretty sure when innova sells discs to retail they sell a pack of discs. Like a driver pack. And innova puts w/e in it. The retailer doesn't decide what they want. Personally my biggest problem is all of the retailers in my area get tie dye champ. I don't really like to pay 4$ more for a disc that is harder to find.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-22-2016, 08:09 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,556 Times in 704 Posts

The Dick's around me carries lots of Grooves and Star Destroyers along with the usual dx wraiths and Valks. Funny, in three years of browsing their discs, I have never seen a fairway driver. No teebirds, Eagles or even Leopards!

I don't think the Grooves sell well, at the end of the season,there seem to be a lot of them. I've only found one so far on the course, threw it a few times, didn't care for it. I have no idea what a good Groove is supposed to fly like and I have no real interest in finding out.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:12 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,177 Times in 1,604 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
The Groove thing is mystifying though. Why do stores carry it? Why is it so popular despite being widely reviled? I'm thinking Innova made like 50,000,000 of them and push them hard to retail outlets to try to get rid of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
I don't think the Grooves sell well, at the end of the season,there seem to be a lot of them.
My guess is that these retail stores' (Dick's, Academy, etc.) purchasers really don't know about the discs they're buying, and Innova dumped the Groove onto them in an attempt to get rid of them. I agree that the Groove does not sell well, and dust collects on them in the stores.

By the way, has anyone noticed that their local Dick's is not carrying near as many DG discs anymore? One near me (Mall of Georgia in Buford, GA), used to have a good bit of them, but now only has a few Aviars, Roc3s, Grooves, maybe a Valkyrie or two, and then some starter packs... and that's it. The Academy in my area has more discs, though it's mostly basic stuff (Aviars, Challengers, Destroyers, Buzzzes, and some Dynamic Discs starter packs).