Old 09-15-2017, 11:28 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 143 Times in 78 Posts
Default Starter Set and Info for a Newbie?

I'm a 50 year teacher from NC who has never played disc golf in my life. Coached regular golf for 5 years at the middle school where I teach but that's it...avid tennis player though

Anyway, a guy I teach with is a disc golfer and has been nice enough to invite me to play with him and another guy I work with, even though I'm older that both of them combined.

I don't want to put a good deal of money into it to start with...I'm used to playing tennis 3 or 4 times a week and with a 10 year old and a daughter in college I don't have a lot of extra time or money. So I want to start out cheap, under $30, and if I see I'm wanting to go golfing more than play tennis then I will look at putting more money into it if needed.

I've searched for beginner/starter sets for under $30 and the higher reviewed ones are:

Innova Disc Golf DX Starter Set (160g-175g) that includes Aviar putter, Rok midrange, Leopard driver $25

Innova Disc Golf DX Starter Set (160g-175g) that includes Aviar putter, Cobra midrange, Beast Distance Driver $25

Driven Disc Golf Starter Set that includes Aviar putter, Roc midrange, Valkyrie driver $27

Would one of these three make a great place to start my disc golf career? If so, which one would be the best one to go with?

btw: what should I carry my disc in around the course? Would a draw string bag work for now?

also: can someone shoot me a link to some videos that show me the ins and outs of how to hold/throw/etc. a disc properly and some strategy advice?

Thanks for any and all advice you can give!!!

TripleB
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2017, 11:56 PM
Eagle Member

I guess I don't have enough posts made yet so I can't edit my original post, but I found the Innova DX Shark, DX Leopard, and DX Aviar set for $20. Not sure if it's a better threesome than the ones mentioned above but I thought I'd post this possibility as well.

Thank you.

TripleB

btw: it let me edit this post so maybe I had to edit the first post in a certain amount of time
Old 09-16-2017, 01:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 32
Niced 517 Times in 320 Posts

The Aviar/Roc/Leopard sounds like a good starter pack. You don't want to mess with 'distance drivers' for a while. Much better to stick with Fairway Drivers and Mid-Range discs.

The mechanics of swinging a club are similar to throwing a disc in that it's important to draw power from your legs and core.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 183
Niced 673 Times in 446 Posts

...and a draw-string bag is totally fine. I was "sponsored" by Raising Canes (nice solid plastic bags!) early in my career, but gradually started carrying too much plastic.

Aviar/Roc/Leopard is a solid start. No one on DGCR would fault a beginner for having any of the three.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:03 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 460 Times in 203 Posts

Aviar/Roc/Leopard or Aviar/Shark/Leopard are what I'd recommend. If you really want to minimize cost, you can drop the Leopard and play with a putter and midrange, or even play an entire round with just one disc (either a putter or a midrange.) The drawback to only having one or two discs is the possibility of losing one or both in water or thick rough and not having any discs left to continue playing.

Actually, the lowest cost option would be to borrow some discs. If your co-worker is an avid player, he likely has some extra discs. If he is like the vast majority of disc golfers I know, he would be more than happy to let you borrow some discs and may even give you a disc or two for free.

The starter sets are fine, but they tend to include discs that are a little too light for most adults. Heavier putters and midranges typically are more dependable. If you are willing and able to wait for a few days to receive discs, you can order individual discs online (with free shipping) and choose the weight and color you want.

With only a few discs you can simply carry them in hand. Any bag will suffice as well.

As for instructional videos, if you go to the "Technique and Strategy" section of these forums, you will find a vast library of videos covering everything from the basics to more advanced tips. There is an "Instructional Videos" sticky posted there. There are also many threads in the "Form Analysis/Critique" section that have videos and tips.

As a golfer and tennis player you will likely find some carryover with regard to weight shift, swing planes, etc.

The best advice I can give is to have fun. Also, as someone once said to me, remember to keep it simple, since the game is simple: throw the disc, walk to where it landed, repeat.

Last edited by SaROCaM; 09-16-2017 at 03:06 AM.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:31 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post
Aviar/Roc/Leopard or Aviar/Shark/Leopard are what I'd recommend.

The starter sets are fine, but they tend to include discs that are a little too light for most adults. Heavier putters and midranges typically are more dependable. If you are willing and able to wait for a few days to receive discs, you can order individual discs online (with free shipping) and choose the weight and color you want.

As for instructional videos, if you go to the "Technique and Strategy" section of these forums, you will find a vast library of videos covering everything from the basics to more advanced tips.

As a golfer and tennis player you will likely find some carryover with regard to weight shift, swing planes, etc.

The best advice I can give is to have fun. Also, as someone once said to me, remember to keep it simple, since the game is simple: throw the disc, walk to where it landed, repeat.
I didn't find where I could multi-quote so....

@Stable: thanks for the advice and relating disc golf to regular golf! Hopefully disc golf isn't quite as hard to pick back up if you take time off like regular golf is. If I take 4 months off from regular golf it's like starting all over!

@armiller: thanks for letting me know people wouldn't "look down on me" for carrying lower cost discs. Just like I don't look down on people who use $15 racquets from WM...at least they are out there enjoying the sport!!!

@SaROCam:

I would guess for a beginner the difference between having the Rok or having the Shark in my threesome wouldn't matter?

The info on the Shark, Leopard, Aviar states they are 150-180 grams. How much heavier are the disc for intermediate to advance players?

Appreciate you letting me know where I can find some videos and information on getting started out properly in the sport. Glad that some of my movement/swing in tennis (especially on my backhand side) will carry over nicely to disc golf.

Definitely looking forward to having fun with disc golf. I took about 6 months off from tennis last year because I was more focused on playing great than having fun. I would look at other courts where people were just starting to learn tennis and they were just happy when they hit one good shot instead of every shot perfectly. I longed to be like that again so maybe learning to play disc golf is where I'll find that joy of just being content with a good shot here and there!

Again, thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond and your help!!! It is much appreciated!!!!!

TripleB
Old 09-16-2017, 09:55 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3
Niced 219 Times in 145 Posts

Each of the mentioned midranges is a good choice. The Leopard might be the best suited of the drivers, but the driver should matter least for you in the beginning. It's not a bad idea to start with only a midrange and a putter. If your friends can lend you one or two, that's perfect.

In my experience as a relatively new player, weights don't matter that much. It might be different if you're advanced and it might be different in strong wind, but my 158g Teebird is as great a disc as my 175g Teebird, if not better. Thus, in contrast to what many tell you, I would simply not care about weights at all. But if you care for weights, then only as much as to go heavier with putters and lighter with drivers and midranges.

Concerning form, here's my advice on what to really focus on as a beginner:
- put the hand on the outside of the disc
- no rounding, but straight reachback (i.e. away from you)
- throw on one level, i.e. reachback on the same level and ``nose down''. The disc must not rise high, stall out and drop left, but rather fly without much height changes (this is oversimplified but gives the general direction)
- throw from a stand-still, because that is much simpler and provides more consistency

You don't need much more than that to start with.

For tutorials on form, take a look at Danny Lindahl's videos on Youtube, starting with the old ones. He gets it well to the point, IMO.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:03 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 7
Niced 109 Times in 59 Posts

Welcome to the sport and the forums!

Regarding disc weights, 150–180 grams is basically the complete range of weights available (with some exceptions). Lighter discs fly farther, while heavier discs are more predictable and easier to control. Since they're not typically thrown for maximum distance, players at all levels generally benefit from using putters and midranges at the heavier end of the scale. You'll probably want to start with a lightweight driver, while more advanced players tend to use drivers in the 170s.

Aviar, Shark or Roc, and Leopard would be an excellent setup. Others can chime in here with their own experience and opinions, but I'd say the difference between the Shark and Roc is that the Roc will "fade" harder—it will curve (to the left on a right-handed backhand throw) more sharply and more dependably at the end of its flight. This means the Roc will be a little more predictable than the Shark, but also a little less versatile. I'd recommend the Shark, but go ahead and get a Roc if you like the sound of it.

There are several reputable online retailers that specialize in disc golf. Infinite Discs, Marshall Street, Gotta Go Gotta Throw, KW's, and Disc Golf Center are a few that come to mind, and there are others. As mentioned by SaROCam, buying discs individually from one of these sellers will let you pick your disc weights instead of just taking whatever you get in a starter pack. Here are links to the Aviar, Shark, Roc, and Leopard pages at Disc Golf Center. This will get you your three-disc set for $21, shipping included.

Aviar (I'd recommend 175 grams): http://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_d...?p=43&PPQT1=19

Shark (about 170 grams, give or take a few): http://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_d...?p=30&PPQT1=19

Roc (about 170 grams): http://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_d...?p=26&PPQT1=19

Leopard (about 150–160 grams): http://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_d...?p=37&PPQT1=19

Have fun!
Old 09-16-2017, 11:25 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,569 Times in 706 Posts

I would avoid any starter packs unless you know the weights of all the discs.

What you think as being a cheap way to start can double the up front cost because you burned through those 145gr discs so quick. A 145gr DX Leopard will not last very long!

My suggestion? Go to your local store that sells discs, fondle putters until you find one that feels somewhat decent in your hand, then do the same with mids. Shark, Roc, Buzz, even the VRoc are all good. Just make sure they are over 170gr and DX plastic. Those two discs can keep you busy for quite awhile until you get better, and by then, you'll have probably tried out some other players disc and start figuring out what you like.

This is a good read and has plenty of useful links

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...ad.php?t=32790

Best of luck and welcome to the sport/game/hobby

Old 09-16-2017, 11:40 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 7
Niced 109 Times in 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
Go to your local store that sells discs
This is a great suggestion that I don't usually think of because the only brick-and-mortar disc retailer in my area is the local Dick's, with its mediocre-at-best selection. You could ask your disc-golfing coworker if there's a disc shop in your area.