Old 03-16-2010, 10:12 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoDj View Post
easiest way to tell if you can't see it is to have someone take a pic from behind you just after release

if you can see the flight plate at all, its nose up
if its flat and thin looking as possible, its flat
if you can see your gold weight sticker spinning, its nose down

pretty simple with a camera, with the naked eye its gonna see what you "think" its doing
there's no way to tell by the flight?

do nose up and nose down throws dramatically impact the flight?

how much nose up and down is acceptable? How much does being a little off hurt?

Is this caused by the wrist or the shoulder?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Kwaz View Post
Not really. I know when I throw nose up the disc shoots high in the air and nothing can really turn over from that kind of release. Just today I threw it nice and level like a normal shot with a tad bit of anny. It started to turn over and curve through the gap to the basket about 15-16 feet off the ground. then it flattened out halfway in its route and faded left at the end. and finished way behind the pin but about 50 feet to the left. Not alot of wind to speak of. I mean it got some awsome distance (300-315) but the flight was way off.
By what you said here it sounds like it is a new disc that needs to be beat in a little. I have a Champ Leppard - don't remember the weight and it isn't new. Today on the practice field I got some throws around 300 feet which is my best throws ever with my Leppard. I release level, it turns right a little and finishes pretty straight. Only my opinion.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,832 Times in 1,738 Posts

Its you, not the disc. Yeah brand new they are a little more stable, but really its probably a combo of nose up, weight back, and no snap since you are getting a S pattern. You typically don't want any nose up on a drive, and its really hard to throw nose flat. The nose is the opposite side of the disc from where you hold it, think of the disc like a hammer, throw hammer down. There are many factors to getting nose down, wrist orientation and weight forward being the two most critical. When you throw nose down it typically flies lower, straighter, and faster. Nose up they jump up out of your hand flying high and fades harder. Watch these vids and do the drills.

Snap #1
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=qGGY...Vzo&playnext=1

Snap #2
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=QhM6...eature=related

Beato Driving Drills
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=nED7...Ep4&playnext=1
Old 03-16-2010, 11:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 17
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

I dont think you have to worry about nose angle so much with a Leopard; they typically are very tolerant to that.

Its just really heavy and Champion plastic. I have some of those, and when they are broke in, they become more like you would think, but until then, its like a shorter Teebird. Pro plastic is a great plastic for an out of the box, turnover Leopard.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 34
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
Champ leopards start out pretty stable, and take a little while to break in. Once it's broken in though, it'll turn over predictably, and stay at the same level of broken-in-ness for a while. You could try a dx or pro leopard in the mean time, it will break in much quicker.
I've got a star that used to be pretty stable. Now it's predictably flippy. Has turned in to a wonderful flip-hyzer disc for 300-350 ft. when there's no wind present (always prefer a little though). Great tunnel shot disc.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,832 Times in 1,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohic View Post
I dont think you have to worry about nose angle so much with a Leopard; they typically are very tolerant to that.

Its just really heavy and Champion plastic. I have some of those, and when they are broke in, they become more like you would think, but until then, its like a shorter Teebird. Pro plastic is a great plastic for an out of the box, turnover Leopard.
You will get a much different flight pattern nose up/nose down, and throw further nose down. Yes once it beats in it will fly straighter without changing form. Yes a Leo is less nose sensitive than a Boss, but its still quite noticeable. An out the box max weight champ Leo is still easy to flip or anny with good form. They are great beginner discs, i.e. someone with no snap, or as a touch disc. You don't really have to worry about nose angle unless you want to improve.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 17
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
You will get a much different flight pattern nose up/nose down, and throw further nose down. Yes once it beats in it will fly straighter without changing form. Yes a Leo is less nose sensitive than a Boss, but its still quite noticeable. An out the box max weight champ Leo is still easy to flip or anny with good form. They are great beginner discs, i.e. someone with no snap, or as a touch disc. You don't really have to worry about nose angle unless you want to improve.
I dont mean to not worry about nose angle, just it is pretty easy to overcome with a Leopard. Even a Cheetah, which is very similar, is still noticeably more nose angle sensative than a Leopard.

You might be right with it being more sensitive at the heavier weight though. Havent tried one that heavy.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 75
Niced 33 Times in 17 Posts

My 153 champ leopard does anything i want it to. maybe you should get a lighter leopard.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:44 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 20
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Kwaz View Post
there's no way to tell by the flight?

do nose up and nose down throws dramatically impact the flight?

how much nose up and down is acceptable? How much does being a little off hurt?

Is this caused by the wrist or the shoulder?
yes, but if your asking, a pic would explain it easier and without doubt(throwing nose down you can still throw the disc up...)

yeah , it impacts flight, dramatically depends on the disc

again, depends on the disc, some fly better nose up, some better nose down

its whatever it takes to release the disc with nose up... i mean, its not OAT, its grip position, arm, body all included, mostly grip though

Old 03-17-2010, 01:36 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 7
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

if you expect a leopard to hold a forever turnover you need to find another disc.

Yes, it is a turnover disc, but (by rough comparison) it fades like a roc or an eagle. It goes out, fades <some> and then comes back.

Also, the more you beat it in the more it fades.

In your case, i wonder if your leopard is too heavy and too new. (and possibly) in a star plastic that starts out overstable when new.

The leopard is a classic, if you throw it more than 50-60% power you flip it or roll it.... It's a (loosely described) finessed disc not a power disc, and not quite a precision disc either.

Point it at its target, in its range and throw. It will land very close to where you intended it every time.