Old 09-05-2019, 02:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 885 Times in 523 Posts

I've said it a zillions times, charge something like $5.00 to watch the live event then put it out for free with ads 1 week later. @ $5.00 a peep, how many would you need to sell to match the typical ad revenue generated during the first week of release? (Which includes the live broadcast and post replay views.)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2019, 07:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,431 Times in 1,502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
How has the sport grown to this point, without all that money?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
Currently that money is coming from manufacturers.
Only this little corner of the sport---the online spectator corner. Perhaps the pro tour, as a full-time job for players, as well. I suspect all other aspects of the sport will continue to grow rapidly, with or without cash from the manufacturers.

Niced: (3)
Old 09-05-2019, 07:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,431 Times in 1,502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I think this begs the question.....why. IMO, because sponsors understand that the sport does not lend itself to bigtime viewer numbers. It is a tiny niche sport. Sponsors are much better off putting money towards bowling, darts, cornhole, poker, surfing.....
Yes. It's not who we are, so much as how many.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-05-2019, 08:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,032 Times in 849 Posts

100% hypothetical for JVD and Jamie as the premise is unrealistic:
What would occur tomorrow if TD's banded together and said we are no longer paying to have our events covered? Would coverage simply go away (I doubt it)? Obviously there would be less of it but I would think that would tend to raise the value of what remained to a degree .

The (almost all volunteer) TD's are just as responsible for the generation of the content as the media crews (generation, not ownership) but seem to have virtually no stake in any of this.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-05-2019, 10:28 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 1,880 Times in 448 Posts

Biscoe, there would be less coverage but it would not go away. Manufacturers would still sponsor some coverage and Patreon would still cover some costs for these guys.

It has been my honest thought that no large event should ever pay for post production. There is an ample supply of media companies and a high demand for it. SOMEONE will cover it, in fact we as we discussed earlier they will pay for the rights now. Paying for coverage can be good to promote a smaller event trying to garner attention.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-05-2019, 02:23 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 14 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
I've said it a zillions times, charge something like $5.00 to watch the live event then put it out for free with ads 1 week later. @ $5.00 a peep, how many would you need to sell to match the typical ad revenue generated during the first week of release? (Which includes the live broadcast and post replay views.)
I say put it on twitch. Have a few in round interviews with questions fielded from the subs of the channel. With this method you could still run ads and still allow people a chance to watch it live for free.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:27 PM
Eagle Member

ISUME, we can do all that on YouTube right now. I don't think that the platform is the issue that we were really discussing. More so the larger issue of overall funding long term to make the tours viable investments.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:06 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 221 Times in 108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
Currently that money is coming from manufacturers.
Which is generated from the customers.

Circle of life.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:40 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 13
Niced 404 Times in 158 Posts

I don’t think the right question is “how do we get more money out of disc golf fans?” I think the right question is “how do we get more disc golf fans?” I don’t think putting coverage behind a paywall accomplishes that.

Old 09-05-2019, 05:20 PM
Eagle Member

dorseymatt, I agree that getting more fans is the primary objective. But as discussed here, there are so many other factors at play. Sponsors, manufacturers, media teams, etc. And from my perspective putting things behind a paywall doesn't hurt anyone as long as you have it available to the public at some point. If a new fan is watching an event from 3 weeks ago versus 24 hours ago, I don't think it matters that much.

But as any business that is trying to make a profit will tell you, getting as much as they can from their customers is their primary objective.

Dcinmd. Yes it is the circle of life. And as long as the sport continues to grow the manufacturers will continue to pump money into the machine. The question becomes if that model is sustainable long term? We don't know yet.

None of us have the right answer. All we can do is guess. The off season should be interesting.