Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 07-13-2010, 02:24 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Want a replacement for my Banshee... suggestions?

Before i say anything im going to answer the obvious question everyone will ask. why don't i get another banshee?

this is an easy one... because i can't find any flat top ones like the one i use now. I have bought one and my brother has bought one and both have tons of dome and are way less stable. It seems all the current banshee's are coming out crazy domey

So now thats out of the way....

Im looking for something a little more stable than my banshee for FH and OH shots. mainly my get out of trouble disc. It won't be used for driver duties over 250 feet so i don't need a crazy high speed driver disc.

So far im thinking Discraft predator. my bag is gradually switching from innova to discraft anway

thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2010, 02:29 AM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 168
Niced 2,230 Times in 1,045 Posts

If you want to go really overstable I say either a xXx or a Viper.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:35 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

don't know if i need crazy overstable. I have developed a OH/FH hybrid throw that has come in handy for a get out of trouble shot. Pretty much i throw a FH with a ton of anhyzer on it and let it do a very big and high S curve. There are a few holes that it works perfect for. One of the holes leaves people scratching their heads trying to figure out a shot for it. It works perfect cause it goes around the trees that are directly in front of you and then comes back around the next set and lands nicely by the basket. usually a hard par for most people i play with but i got an easy birdie today.

so all i need is overstable enough to flatten out from a disc thrown at a 45 degree angle and then fade back the other way
Old 07-13-2010, 02:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 34
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jump on a drone. slow, overstable, great skipper. the FLX drones are a little more stable with a 2.6 rating while the Z's are 2.5, but whatever they hit, they bounce no more than 10 ft away.

That's my discraft suggestion.

Innova would be a viper or a whippet. Look for em in the champ if you can find em.

...but yeah, the banshees are getting oober domey. LAME!!!
Old 07-13-2010, 02:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 34
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Might even check out the Gateway Blaze. Much cheaper than a champ whippet or viper.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 112
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

The Predator is a great disc, but if you can find a Reaper, it is much more of a comparable disc. Predators seem to be more domey than the Reapers and have a much deeper feeling rim, which to me means not as good of a forehand disc. I recently picked up a Z Reaper and love the disc, even if it is OOP. I may have to start buying them all up and paying Discraft to keep making them. I think I might like my Reaper more than my Banshee, even though I never thought it would be possible to replace me Banshee.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 35
Niced 2 Times in 1 Post

If you want to cover that with one disc I'd suggest either a Gateway Blaze or an Innova Firebird.

Why not a predator? Because you specifically said you don't need it to go past 250, and I'd say the Predator is like a Firebird..but longer.

The Blaze is rather similar to a Banshee, and there are a million and a half threads about the firebird.

\/\/
Old 07-13-2010, 09:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 7
Niced 51 Times in 22 Posts

If you want a tick faster than the Banshee, the Firebird or Predator are both great. If you want to go slower the Blaze and Whippet are what you're looking for.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:52 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

thanks guys,

I have read up on the reaper and wouldn't mind trying one but id rather get a disc that will be easy to find in the future in case i like it.

How do the firebird and predator compare to the banshee in terms of stability?

maybe i just need to go to all the local shops and see if they have any flat champ banshees. The one im throwing is a DX banshee that is crazy flat, almost concave. maybe finding a very slightly domed champ banshee would have close to the same stability as mine.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:04 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 4.5
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxDiscGolfBoy View Post
Jump on a drone. slow, overstable, great skipper. the FLX drones are a little more stable with a 2.6 rating while the Z's are 2.5, but whatever they hit, they bounce no more than 10 ft away.
Agree with this 100%. I hit my first sidearm ace last week with a Drone, and have used 2 in my bag for over a year now. They are also the best for upshots under 200' when the hang it out to the side and let it dive in line is available. They "sit" really well at the end of their flight, and don't give a crap what the wind is doing, they just do what they do.