Old 10-19-2010, 04:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 156
Niced 11 Times in 10 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic
Default Different ways to reduce molds

Been noticing the bags and asking local 990+ rated players about their bags. I was quite surprised by what they carry. I have been attempting to reduce molds as a way to improve grip consistency and remove disc choice error, release error and mastering certain molds etc. Generally trying to to reduce the thought process and simplify my rounds.
What has confused me is the different ways these guys have reduced their bags. As followed.
Player A-All 175g star plastic for all discs but in different states of wear. So he has a handful of Destroyers, TLs, etc but all same weight but relies on the wearing in process for the subtle differences in disc....claims he prefers the same weight so he throws more consistently. Little regard going lighter to ride the wind or go uphill he just discs down to a more understable. He explained the higher weight, same plastic allowed for more control and consistenncy.

Player B-Truly believes in grip as the biggest problem with moving across plastics...Hates Champion as too slick and thinks Star is too stable.... prefers to use similiar molds but in various weights...So he has the same molds in mostly Pro and DX in various weights...has some in very lightweights...not surprisingly this old school DGer is a masters div player who derives his good grip from old school plastic and less molds but just different weights.

Player C-Hardly has anything in his bag...disgusting actually in his minimalism...perhaps 5-8 total. I have no idea what he throws but routinely he is winning doubles and cashing top 3 in tournaments. I figured I'd mention him as he just pisses me off...but a really cool dude I'm just hating and jealous.

Me-Totally confused and been using reduced molds but in different plastics and different weights which still makes for a pretty hefty bag.....But at least I'm down to less molds just perhaps too many types of plastic and weights to really gain consistency. I do seem to have less grip problems as I am comfortable with the grips as they do feel the same across weights and plastics.

So what do you guys think...I am considering going with one of these strategies to further minimize my bag.....I like the cheaper plastic different weight route as it seems more cost effective but I also like the idea of all heavy weights in different wear stages as it might allow for more control due to heavier weights.

I guess theres more than one way to prepare a steak. I'm just sick of playing like ground beef.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2010, 04:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 105
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Different weights in the same mold means you will have to change your arm speed to get certain flights. This seems detrimental to your problem.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 71
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

I agree. Also I say stay away from heavy distance drivers unless you got a cannon arm. They dont fly right unless you can get them up to speed. I recently shifted to high 160s/low 170s and it has made a big difference.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 17
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseTheAce View Post
Different weights in the same mold means you will have to change your arm speed to get certain flights. This seems detrimental to your problem.
Not necessarily. Throw the same way, the lighter ones will just turn more.

Interesting with the one kind of plastic thing. I would have a hard time with that.

The thing is, there are at least 2 types of players that would approach this differently. (regurgatating what I hear from Garublador with me adding stuff in there as I see it)

The first type likes a disc to be thrown flat and fly differently to hit their lines. This a lot of times means different molds but in a minimalist capacity, I think it lends to the one mold in several stages of ware.

Then, theres the type I find myself gravitate to, and that is do as much as you can with a single disc and force it to shape lines. As it breaks in, you probably are using it enough to where its gradual and should have the feel for where it is at. I could happily get by with 5 discs; in fact I do for the most part asside from my spares. If I really wanted to, I could go 4 by eliminating my Flick and moderate OS (the disc Im trying to decide on at the moment) and go for just one to cover both those selections. Meh, we'll say 5 cause eventually I would want a fast distance driver when I have the arm for it.

Thats not to say there cant be a hybrid of both and there are some different approaches to what people feel they need or dont need for either one.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 7
Niced 51 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by optidiscic View Post
I like the cheaper plastic different weight route as it seems more cost effective
The problems I can see with this are that your discs will beat in no matter what, so you'll end up trying to figure out which weight to throw and which stage of wear which will make disc selection harder. You'll also probably find that there isn't as big of a difference in stability as you thought and that you'll end up gravitating to one weight anyway.
Quote:
but I also like the idea of all heavy weights in different wear stages as it might allow for more control due to heavier weights.
I'd do this, but don't limit yourself to heavy weights. Find the right weight for each disc and throw them in several stages of wear.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 83
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Player A-All 175g star plastic for all discs but in different states of wear. So he has a handful of Destroyers, TLs, etc but all same weight but relies on the wearing in process for the subtle differences in disc....claims he prefers the same weight so he throws more consistently. Little regard going lighter to ride the wind or go uphill he just discs down to a more understable. He explained the higher weight, same plastic allowed for more control and consistenncy.
This is Discspeed's philosophy.

Quote:
Player C-Hardly has anything in his bag...disgusting actually in his minimalism...perhaps 5-8 total. I have no idea what he throws but routinely he is winning doubles and cashing top 3 in tournaments. I figured I'd mention him as he just pisses me off...but a really cool dude I'm just hating and jealous.
And this is Kachtz, 5 discs: Pro Destroyer, Star Teerex, Star Eagle-X, KC Pro Roc, SS Wizard.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 286
Niced 208 Times in 87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
The problems I can see with this are that your discs will beat in no matter what, so you'll end up trying to figure out which weight to throw and which stage of wear which will make disc selection harder. You'll also probably find that there isn't as big of a difference in stability as you thought and that you'll end up gravitating to one weight anyway.I'd do this, but don't limit yourself to heavy weights. Find the right weight for each disc and throw them in several stages of wear.
Use minimal molds. Keep the most beat in of each. As the others move towards that or equal to it, put them aside and replace with new. I prefer 3 each of my driving molds. then for midranges, I choose discs that do what they are supposed to out of the box. Gator, star whippet-x, Meteor, Buzzz If you lose them, no biggy, the new one performs the way your old one did.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 201
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

I am not a 900 rated played, but I have reduced my molds and simply carried a heavier backup for my putter/approach disc and my 2 key mids. Helps me with wind and/or getting some bigger hyzers out of certain discs. I am currently doing the discing down thing so I am rarely throwing a driver right now, but I think I would try the same thing with that. Plus if I lose one of my key discs during a round, I have a very similar backup in the bag. Less molds in my bag now, but not really less discs. So far it seems to work well for me. If I become a 900 rated played then it's a winner.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 92 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrawk View Post
Quote:
This is Discspeed's philosophy.
This is pretty true, except I don't limit myself to one type of plastic (we all know that not all Star grips the same, not all Champ discs grip the same, etc). I also would like to add that I also use the same 5 discs for about 90% of my shots (seasoned Ion, seasoned Buzzz, seasoned S-PD, seasoned C-PD, newish Z-Nuke). I have to have an obvious and good reason to throw my other discs over my main players such as wind or danger (water, other OB, bad shule). This really helps cut down on the decisions I'm faced with so that I just have to focus on angle of release, aim, and power.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 92 Times in 54 Posts

Regarding different weights, plastics, and molds...I believe that these are all variables that must be "learned". If you carry a 168 Wraith and a 175 Wraith, those are different discs, and they both must be learned. The timing on the release is different enough that the same release will not work the same for both. I also think in most cases (and many mold minimalists may disagree with me here) discs in different plastics are different and must each be learned. The plastics feel/grip differently and often fly in fundamentally different ways (speed/stability/glide). For example I consider my S-PD and C-PD different discs and I've had to learn them both as they have different speeds, stabilities, and glide characteristics, and ultimately range. Some discs fly more similarly in different plastics, so this isn't necessarily a hard rule, but it's true in more cases than not. Most agree that different molds are totally different in grip and flight character, so each mold must be learned as well. Having too many of any of these variables in your bag will hurt your consistency. Learn as few as you can while still being able to throw the most lines and distances possible. As you get better you will need fewer variables to get things done and have better touch with what you have.