Old 09-18-2019, 02:59 PM

Courses Played: 4
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Disc/Arm speed

What is a good way to know when you should be able to comfortably throw a higher speed disc? I know in the beginning it is wise to stay with low speed discs as you learn and develop, but at what point would it be wise to move up to a higher speed disc to add to your arsenal? As I understand it, you must generate a certain amount of arm speed in order to make those higher speed discs do their thing, otherwise they will not fly as intended. What is a good way to gauge when you are ready to incorporate these type of discs versus being frustrated by using them before your are ready. I could just go to a field with various speed discs and throw them and see the disc speed when the disc flies poorly (assuming good form and technique) and ascertain my limit, but just thinking about other ways that people have noted that might be a key to knowing you could be ready for higher speed discs. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2019, 04:15 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3
Niced 219 Times in 145 Posts

Tell us what discs you throw currently and how far you throw them, then we can answer your question. ;-)

I think this is the easiest method, because it also reveals how good your form is. Because if you check if you get a full flight out of your disc (S-shaped flex shot), it could be caused by OAT or anny releases as well. If you see a full flight out of a Destroyer thrown 90m (300 feet), you should not step up speed, but rather work on your form.

Also, there's a big difference if you ask this question in the situation of throwing speed 5 and wondering if you should step up, or if you currently throw speed 7 or speed 9 or speed 12.

If you've just stared, you probably don't need anything faster than speed 7 for at least the first year IMO. Start with slow discs and throw your putters a lot! That's what makes you a better player faster.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:00 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 329 Times in 199 Posts

I'm going to agree with the above. speed 7 stuff will do you fine in your first year.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:18 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the input. I agree, speed 6-7 is as high as I go (usually less), but I am really looking for pointers to know when is a good idea to step up the speed. I am really looking to find out when/why I would step up the speed. What would be a sign that the player is ready for more speed? Using your example, let's say I throw the Destroyer 280-300', you said I should NOT step up speed, so what would I be looking for with a Destroyer that would tell me I am good to step up the speed? Would it be a specific distance or a flight path? If so how do I estimate that distance that I should strive for with each different disc? That is kind of what I am after...
Old 09-19-2019, 03:01 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3
Niced 219 Times in 145 Posts

I'm not sure if there is this thing you're searching for.

There are rules of thumb which connect disc speeds to typical distance. Surely someone has some numbers. Destroyers are not made to be thrown only 300 feet. Speed 7 discs are well made for 300 feet shots. If you throw 350, speed 9 drivers might suite better. But this is only a rough rule of thumb. Preferences differ a lot.

Higher speed discs need less height to fly the same distance, thus in some situations you might want to have a faster disc for a short shot, just to be able to go unter branches or so. Higher speed discs also skip more. If you want to play skip shots, a wider rim (plus big fade) works better. (If you want to avoid a skip, use a lower speed disc.) You see, there are other use cases for higher speed discs, besides open field distance.

But to come back to your question: For the very beginning, start with midranges primarily. Then add speed 7 fairway drivers. You won't need more than them for a year or so. (A Champion Teebird or such will be all the overstability you'll need in this phase.) After that, buy a rather straightish speed 9 driver (like a Valkyrie). Try out in field practice if that speed 9 driver works in any way better than your speed 7 driver. If so, try it on the course and compare. If you get noticably more distance, while maintaining the consistence, then you should step up. But if you don't throw noticably farther or the results are more inconsistent, then why should you step up!? Repeat this experiment every once in a while, maybe some day the faster driver will suddenly work for you. In summary: I think you have to try it out. (Or show us your form and distances.)

Besides that, faster drivers show nose-up better than slower discs. If you work on that, having faster drivers comes in handy.

And as I said, speed 9 meathooks (like a Firebird) are typical utility discs, which you probably want to play with at some point. Even if you don't have them in your bag (although most players have), they can be a lot of fun and provide a whole different experience and possibilities to the game.

IMO most players don't ever need anything faster than speed 9.

I hope that helps.

Old 09-19-2019, 03:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,369 Times in 794 Posts

For me as a 47y slower arm speed player i can get a speed 9-10 maybe 330-350ft . . and a 12-speed the same distance.

But i still have a OS 12-speed in the bag, it skips so much better than a 9-speed. . and thats useful at times

I have tryed ALOT of fast drivers. . but my longest throw ever was with a 9-speed Glow Roadrunner

Niced: (2)
Old 09-19-2019, 09:06 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 168 Times in 104 Posts

I learned a lot just by experimenting with my speed 4 Discraft Sol. I chose it because I had a couple from the ace race in 2018 and my street is about 200 feet and flat. It's labeled a midrange, but I use it strictly as an approach disc on the other end of the stability spectrum from my Discraft Zone. What's cool about a disc like the sol is that when you're new, you can get nice straight flights out of it. As you start to develop more snap, you'll see how the disc responds and turns over. It's kind of cool to see because up until that point, you've been throwing it and watching it go straight and slightly fade at the end. Now you'll start to see it turn the other way and come back a tad, and as you get a bit more snap on it, it will turn and ride that line a good bit. And all of this without too much arm speed. But start cranking up the arm speed and it immediately rolls, so then you can start tweaking your release and try it on a hyzer and watch it flip to flat and ride a laser straight course. This relatively low speed (I use a flick for it) hyzerflip approach shot is still one of my favorites. But yeah, everyone's in agreement about starting with low speed discs. I just wanted to add that a slow understable disc will do a lot to teach you early on about how you can control a disc's flight.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:23 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 168 Times in 104 Posts

And to add to that (after I saw my sig), I bag several discs that are wayyyyy too fast and/or OS for me, but I have reasons for them. I think I cap out at 8 or 9 speed and so my distance drives are often dictated by what kind of shot I hope to make:
S-shot: Thrasher (understable speed 12)
Flex shot: Raptor (speed 9)
Hyzerflip: Heat (speed 9)
Straight with fade: Tesla (speed 9)

Yeah, the Force (speed 12) is too much for me to actually throw any further than my raptor, but it makes a hella mean FH roller. And I keep the machete (speed 11) as a flexing utility disc.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,594 Times in 1,648 Posts

Generally neutral speed 7ish discs should get out to 300' very well for new-intermediate players when they have some technique. Something like a Discmania FD, Innova Leopard, etc.

The problem though is that "strong arming" the disc can get you capped out at 300'ish too. So the next step up I would say would be to neutral speed 9 stuff like the Sidewinder/Roadrunner/Valkyrie. Sidewinder is a good start. They aren't much harder to throw than speed 7 discs, and they go farther. If the Sidewinder isn't giving you any more distance then you're likely strong arming. Even a consistent 10-20' more is a good indicator that it's working for you.

If you're throwing the Sidewinder farther and you need more trust in wind, etc., then step up a little in stability rather than going to super high speed at first.

You can't really generalize distances that each disc is "good for" though, because lots of average players will use fairways for 280-310' shots, some pro's will use them for 370-420' for example. It more depends on, can you get it to glide and fly a consistent line? Then it works for you at that range.

Niced: (1)

Old 09-19-2019, 10:01 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great info guys. Thanks, that is what I was looking for!