Old 12-07-2015, 03:37 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Lightning DB-5 inner chains

I have a DB-5 I'd like to add inner chains to. If someone has already done this could you please post a bill of materials.

Thanx, KB
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 01-14-2019, 01:33 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 37.7
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 95 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehorn View Post
I have a DB-5 I'd like to add inner chains to. If someone has already done this could you please post a bill of materials.

Thanx, KB
me too. i'll bump this back up and see if there is a response. maybe lighter chains for the inner, just enough to stop any cut through. the outside chains are plenty heavy enough.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:53 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 3
Niced 104 Times in 59 Posts

I did this with my Innova Discatcher Sport. It has 18 chains similar to the DB-5, and I added 9 rows of chains about half way between the outer chains and the center pole. I'm sorry because it was probably 3 years ago and I don't have the exact details, but I just measured from the hanging bracket down to the lower ring and went to a local hardware and they cut the chains to proper length for me. I paid them for an extra foot for their time and the chain that was wasted doing the cutting. It was not cheap, including the S hooks etc. I found chain that was almost the exact same size of the original, but the welds were not done as well and will damage a disc now and then. All I can say is that it was DEFINITELY WORTH IT!!!!

Old 01-14-2019, 04:20 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 99
Niced 128 Times in 77 Posts

Our course originally had DB-5 we just took same gauge and weight chains as what is on them and hung sections of chains in between the outer chains on the inner ring. They were not attached at the bottom and worked well to stop the cut throughs. We have recently upgraded to all discatchers but the pics of the DB5 are on the media page. Take a look. https://www.dgcoursereview.com/media...64&mode=media#

Old 01-14-2019, 06:30 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 37.7
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 95 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiac View Post
Our course originally had DB-5 we just took same gauge and weight chains as what is on them and hung sections of chains in between the outer chains on the inner ring. They were not attached at the bottom and worked well to stop the cut throughs. We have recently upgraded to all discatchers but the pics of the DB5 are on the media page. Take a look. https://www.dgcoursereview.com/media...64&mode=media#
thanks! that gave me a few ideas. i was thinking even a big zip-tie could work as an inner ring.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:42 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 25
Niced 523 Times in 443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiac View Post
The Steamboat course had the same until the old Mach III tops in 2016 were given to the course as they got at Powerhouse Ally the blue deep rim Mach III. Basically both courses now have a Mach III though Steamboat has a better Disc catcher bottom with that being a DB-5 part. We just say they are Mach III new ones at both courses for PDGA tournaments.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2naphish View Post
thanks! that gave me a few ideas. i was thinking even a big zip-tie could work as an inner ring.
We at my local Steamboat Park used the S hooks linked around and crimped them closed for the basket rings after we got tired of having the thin wire we were using break all the time. We also tried on one or two baskets a metal tie down thing but one of them got tightened by people in the park most likely the park and the hex type screw got rusted shut. I helped so much with the early part of making that course as I could with true adults doing more as I was 17 maybe 18 when we were doing most of this.

I never helped with the put on of the Mach III tops in 2016, that was the City doing that after the club gave the old tops they took from old Powerhouse Ally Baskets after they were being torn down to the Parks Department to put on as the parks department was afraid of liability of people hurting themselves putting the Mach III tops on the baskets.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 01-14-2019 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:40 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 45.6
Courses Played: 8
Niced 59 Times in 36 Posts

When I added inner chains to my DB5 I put one on every other spoke of the top of the basket and simply attached them to the existing ring using S hooks on both ends. I purchased chains just a little lighter than the originals simply because that was the closest match I could make.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthunderchicken View Post
When I added inner chains to my DB5 I put one on every other spoke of the top of the basket and simply attached them to the existing ring using S hooks on both ends. I purchased chains just a little lighter than the originals simply because that was the closest match I could make.
We did put chain all the spokes on the top at Staemboat Park before they put the Mach III tops on the baskets but used a tad heavier as that was the closes we could get in nearly the exact size to the original chain links themselves in weight and size. We did use lighter aluminum stuff of about same size as the chains on one basket just to see how it would work and it was good but the other chain was better so it went on the rest of the baskets, a heavy chain that we tested on one basket was removed as it was too heavy to work for a basket.