Old 04-07-2017, 06:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,082 Times in 1,308 Posts

You are still spinning your front foot(and hip) out on the way to the plant. You are starting with the foot too backward during the stride. You need to stride the foot more forward/sideways and then turn it back later into the plant like Will S and crush the can.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2017, 06:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,966 Times in 1,296 Posts

^Yeah, SW22 pointed it out to me that I was doing that badly as well.

What was causing it was striding very "toe down" rather than striding more flat/centered and then planting toe down. You can see how Will slides his foot forward and then plants it toe down and closed. You stride too toe down and closed, then have to open it when planting. You can tell because your knee is rotating open before you've even planted the foot.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-07-2017, 09:21 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 209 Times in 144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
^Yeah, SW22 pointed it out to me that I was doing that badly as well.

What was causing it was striding very "toe down" rather than striding more flat/centered and then planting toe down. You can see how Will slides his foot forward and then plants it toe down and closed. You stride too toe down and closed, then have to open it when planting. You can tell because your knee is rotating open before you've even planted the foot.
I had no clue this was even a thing. I guess this makes crush the can make more sense. It's going to be a long and tedious process.

Here I'm trying to stride forward and synch up the toe down action with the apex of my reach back.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:35 PM
* Ace Member *

It looks like you're thinking about rotation and how it should look, instead of shifting into the plant and then rotating and extending because you are braced. You are still pre-rotating a little, and then once planted you are rotating the front hip as you are shifting rather than rotating because you are shifting.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:46 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
It looks like you're thinking about rotation and how it should look, instead of shifting into the plant and then rotating and extending because you are braced. You are still pre-rotating a little, and then once planted you are rotating the front hip as you are shifting rather than rotating because you are shifting.
I guess I'm confused. Are the hips not supposed to open later then? I always thought the weight shift was started by the left hip starting to unfurl the torque in the back leg (the move part 2). I also thought the hips were supposed to move ahead of the arm to create leverage in the disc.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjacko View Post
I guess I'm confused. Are the hips not supposed to open later then? I always thought the weight shift was started by the left hip starting to unfurl the torque in the back leg (the move part 2). I also thought the hips were supposed to move ahead of the arm to create leverage in the disc.
That is correct, but that isn't what is happening in your video. It feels different than what you are doing, trust me. The front hip does have to resist though.

You are opening the front leg/hip too soon, kind of simultaneously with the shifting motion. You aren't getting the "squeeze between the knees". Look at the still frame of Eagle above, his front hip is still closed/internally rotated even though his pelvis is rotating forwards. You don't get that "squeeze" happening, your front knee rotates outwards immediately as you are planting, leading the motion.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:05 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
It feels different than what you are doing, trust me. The front hip does have to resist though.
Do you have any suggestions on how to try to get that feeling? You've seen how open I planted before, so I feel like I'm doing it right, but I'm obviously not there yet. I can't quite figure out how to keep that hip loaded.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:24 AM
* Ace Member *

I think the Crush the Can drills are the best way, you'd be spinning your foot as you're stepping/pressuring the can. You want to drop centered onto the can (heel). If I can think of something specific though I'll post and let you know. The big thing for me, and I still try to focus on this, is to try to shuffle the front foot forward while it is close to parallel with the ground (until toe down contact), and slightly "out" from me to help keep my hip closed. I also need to focus on keeping the step distance short so that I don't lunge toward the leg, which leads to me leaking power through the knee instead of it extending and clearing my front hip backward.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,082 Times in 1,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjacko View Post
I can't quite figure out how to keep that hip loaded.
One Leg Drill

And Yep, Crush the Can(s), and Reciprocating Dingle Arm, and...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxnhM5amro0&t=3m23s

This should be your practice form anthem and dance in the hook - hop on one leg back and forth until you can't no moar!

Old 04-08-2017, 10:57 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
One Leg Drill

And Yep, Crush the Can(s), and Reciprocating Dingle Arm, and...
So I'm learning that you want the hip, and by default, the foot to stay closed until the hit/power pocket. I'm trying to concentrate on keeping myself from rotating. It feels frightening to me because it's like I'm trying to rip my knee apart, but it seems like the rotation still happens cleanly but slightly later. It's like you get faster rotation, if you don't rotate lol. It makes sense, but it's still weird.

I can see I'm still not getting fully into Hershyzer and the can crush is weak, and I'm pre-loading my hip. The hip loading timing will probably be a real struggle because I'm not really getting the timing or feeling to make sense.