Old 05-14-2010, 09:47 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 18
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default New adventure tomorrow....

Coupled with likely frustration and sorrow....

A friend and I are making the trip down to Belden, MS tomorrow to play Trace St. DGC (also known as Old Warrior Run DGC). Here is a map of the Gold positions, which is where the baskets are located currently:

A few of my close friends that I play with regularly have played this course multiple times, and they all have said that it is one of the best courses they have ever played. It's one those courses where you need to pull out every type of shot from your bag of tricks. Seeing that the total length of the course is close to 10,000', it is the longest (and definitely the most challenging course) I have ever played. The 1,041' Par 5 should be interesting, as well as the 520' Par 3 that traverses a narrow isthmus.

I'll probably need to bring a couple extra discs....
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2010, 09:52 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 21.7
Courses Played: 66
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via Yahoo to Apothecary

wowsers that course looks sick!

remember: r-pro plastic goes twice as far with half the juice...and FLOATS!!!
Old 05-14-2010, 10:05 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apothecary View Post
wowsers that course looks sick!

remember: r-pro plastic goes twice as far with half the juice...and FLOATS!!!
"Once again, things that could've been brought to my attention YESTERDAY!" Robbie Hart, The Wedding Singer

This suggestion would be phenomenal, but the only disc I own in R-Pro is my Pig. While I can drive my Pig out to 320' consistently, I really don't think that will suffice.

I know one thing for sure.... I will NOT be throwing my brand new S-PDs on those monster-aqua holes, but rather something that I really don't mind sending to Davy Jones Locker.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 201
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Throw straight. Play old lady golf and stay on the fairways. It's going to be hard enough without having to take drops and safe throws back into a fairway. And enjoy. Tough courses are great. Screw the score and have fun.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:26 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppydisc View Post
Throw straight. Play old lady golf and stay on the fairways. It's going to be hard enough without having to take drops and safe throws back into a fairway. And enjoy. Tough courses are great. Screw the score and have fun.
Oh, I plan on it.

Problem is, my regular golf buddy (who I'm going with) and I are pretty competitive. And you can always tell what type of course we played on based on who had the better score; I can throw pretty long distance, have a good upshot game and a hit and miss (<-- mostly) putting skill-set (and I'm decent in heavy woods), where he is great in the woods, but lacks big D. If we play an open, long course, I'll usually win by a few shots, and vice versa if we play a predominantly heavily wooded course. Trace St. is a mixed bag as far as woods, elevation changes, and open bombs, so the results should be pretty interesting.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:06 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 44
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

looks like fountain hills, only as peninsula instead of around the water.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Cubby Ace Member

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 129
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

so i thought the same with my 150g r -pro boss that it will float.. that is not correct it sunk...
Old 05-17-2010, 05:56 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, unfortunately, I was thoroughly disappointed with this course....
Old 05-17-2010, 06:21 PM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 220
Niced 110 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by volmed10 View Post
Well, unfortunately, I was thoroughly disappointed with this course....
How so?

Old 05-17-2010, 06:33 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeshoe View Post
How so?
Here is my review:

Quote:
Pros: (This review is for the Gold Course)

Variety of layout - to me, this was the biggest plus of this course. Woods, ope, water, short, crazy bombs, etc.

Natural Scenery - Absolutely beautiful course. Around a very large lake, and also some hiking through the woods.

Challenging - There were a few instances that my friend or I scored birdies or just missed birdies attempts due to a missed putt. But these birdies were definitely not easy birdies by any means. It was nice to find a pretty challenging course that did not consist of only narrow-fairway woods, or only crazy-long drives in open fields.

Cons: Unfortunately, the cons of the course outweigh the positives, and caused the overall experience to lean slightly toward the unpleasant side.

Blocked holes - While there were no fellow DG'ers on the course, a "fishing rodeo" was being held the asme day. An entire side of the lake was blocked to golfing as people were literally camping out around the baskets and teeboxes. This inconvenience caused us to skip holes 8, 9, and 10. When finishing on hole 18, the basket is not visible (as most of the baskets on the course are not visible either) from the teebox, and since there is water to the left of the basket, my friend and I wanted to visualize danger spots. Lo and behold, a wedding ceremony (the chairs and setup was in place, but the actual ceremony had not started at that time) was in the middle of the fairway. I can't give a course a good review when I'm forced to skip 4 out of 18 holes, especially when there is a $3 fee for park entrance.

Not well maintained - Most of my friends that play DG seriously as I do have sung the praises about how well maintained this course is kept. I don't know if the people that normally maintain the course were trying to impersonate Rip Van Winkle for the last 2 months, but the current condition of play was poor at best. The fairways around the lake were well maintained, most likely due to the many uses of these areas (DG, camping, general recreation, fishing), but once you stepped away from the lake, the grass was up to 1.5-2' tall in many areas of the fairway. And if you know anything about the area that this course is located, you'll be familiar that long grass near trees is where ticks will be hiding. Not embellishing, but after the 4th hole I luckily looked down at my legs, and pulled 4 ticks off. Grand total for the day - 10. If the grass were shorter, this would not have been a problem. In addition, there was various garbage strewn on the holes, and the underbrush was overgrowing on the fairways for multiple holes. If a player wants to experience a well maintained course, Bud Hill is one of the best, or Sioux Passage in St. Louis, or Vallarta AST in Madison, WI. I was poorly disappointed by this after so much hype.

Zero Directions - At the ranger office, you can acquire some score cards with maps. But the issue is that the map is for the old course. There are some laminated paper signs at the teeboxes for ~1/4 of the holes, and 1/2 of these are unreadable due to being sun-bleached or the ink having been washed away secondary to the laminate failing. Luckily, I downloaded the Gold Course map from Tupelo Disc Golf Club (thank you) the night before and loaded it onto my iPhone; without this map, it literally would have been literally IMPOSSIBLE to find the next hole, or even the basket for the hole that one was playing on. It was absolutely ridiculous.

Non-Existent Teepads - Since the Gold Course is relatively new, there were a few holes that did not have any teepad present, or even markings denoting where the teepad was located. Hole 7 is a good example. The "teepad" (if you can call it a teepad) is the road.... not to the side of the road, but the road. No sign was present to mark the presence of a teebox except 2 small lines (each was a foot long), and about 200' in front of the "teebox" was a real concrete teebox, which was the teebox to one of the old courses. The only way that we found the new "teebox" was deducing the location from the online map, and lining it up (likely through magic) with the 2 small paint markings mentioned previously. For hole 17, once again the teebox "is" a road, but this location has one of the aforementioned faded, terrible signs.

Other Thoughts: To be completely truthful, my friend and I had very high expectations of this course due to the lofty praise associated with it from many very good players. The park was beautiful, the course layout was great, and I enjoyed the challenge of all of the holes (at least the ones we were able to play). But in order to be a "great" DG Course, the problems that I listed in the cons section should not have been a factor. I don't know many people that enjoy pulling a tick off your leg after multiple holes, and flicking even more off your shoes as they attempt to crawl for a blood meal. These ticks were acquired after walking to my disc which landed in the fairway; when one of my shots unluckily and rarely went into the woods secondary to some "tree hate", I didn't procure 1 tick. This problem could have been remedied by simply cutting the grass on the fairways. And I cannot imagine any other DG'ers that delights in not knowing the directions of a course, or being forced to skip multiple holes on a course that you were forced to pay to play. I wouldn't mind paying, if all these issues were remedied; until then, I will not be returning to this course, and in good conscience I cannot recommend it to others due to the overall poor experience I encountered.