Old 08-09-2018, 03:20 AM

Niced 15 Times in 8 Posts
Default How long did it take you?

When you started playing, how long did it take you to feel like you were at least good enough to not look like you were brand new?

It is a humbling game when you are starting out.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2018, 03:43 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 45 Times in 27 Posts

In all honesty... It took a couple of years to not give a damn driving in front of folks. Took a long time to realize the issue is common, and most folks might out drive me, but can't play any better. A long midrange game, with accuracy helps! And, for the record, i kinda suck!

Niced: (3)
Old 08-09-2018, 04:32 AM

Niced 15 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beereakfast View Post
In all honesty... It took a couple of years to not give a damn driving in front of folks. Took a long time to realize the issue is common, and most folks might out drive me, but can't play any better. A long midrange game, with accuracy helps! And, for the record, i kinda suck!
I still stand in place to drive. I'll work on power after I get my form and accuracy working. But it sucks to have no distance. I actually took to putting quicker. I am still utterly horrible though.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:15 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 217 Times in 131 Posts

keep playing a LOT. pretty soon when you watch others play you'll see that more and more of them you could hang with. and if they ask you if you want to jump in with them, DO IT! ask questions, stay humble and you'll learn a lot. and for the record, I still suck too....

Niced: (1)
Old 08-09-2018, 07:38 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 29
Niced 261 Times in 147 Posts

It's okay to suck.
With that being said here are a few things that will help make sucking not so bad.
1. Embrace it without being self deprecating. People don't want to hear about how you suck.
2. Don't act like you just started sucking today. I can't stand listening to a golfer talk about all the sick shots they had, on this hole, up until today.
3. Be a polite sponge. Golfers like talking golf/discs/technique/etc. We like about other things too. Keep it loose out there.
4. Sucking is a state of mind. You have made good shots; if you think about sucking before you throw, you will not make good shots.
5. Golfers like playing with others who don't suck. We like advice... ask now, give later.
6. Everyone's first throw went high and hard left.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,021 Times in 965 Posts

You'll know you've made it when you can play through a slower group of much better players, without being self-conscious.

"You'd worry less about what people think of you, if you knew how little they do." Paraphrased, not sure from whom, but worth keeping in mind.

I also remember that every better player I encounter, was once as bad as I am now. Just as every worse player I encounter, I remember when I was like that.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:30 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 131 Times in 96 Posts

After about 6 months I felt comfortable throwing in front of people other than my friends. We regularly play through groups now and it's no issue, though one of my friends who is way better than me still has issues sometimes in front of other people. Just a mental thing I guess. I agree that it's very humbling when you first start but I think it's way easier to get to a level where you don't feel embarrassed by your efforts than it is in some other things. Ball golf for instance took me years to get a point where I felt I wasn't just absolutely terrible.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-09-2018, 01:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 54
Niced 15 Times in 6 Posts

You should never worry about what others think.
That being said, I was playing Cedar in Nashville and getting ready to drive and who comes up behind us?
Yep, Ken Climo and two of his friends. I am standing there on the tee and saying to myself "The Ken Climo is watching me throw".
Suffice to say I drove maybe 90 feet and right into the crap on the left side of the fairway.
So do as I say and not as I do! LOL

Old 08-09-2018, 01:56 PM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 133
Niced 529 Times in 268 Posts

After a season of playing in a league...got all that shiny newness off me

Old 08-09-2018, 02:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 160
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 453 Times in 315 Posts

This reminds me of my chess skill level. Ask me if I'm any good at chess, and my answer depends 100% on how good YOU are at chess.

I can look like a disc golf pro or like an utter disc golf imbecile. It just depends on who's playing with me or watching me. The main thing that has changed is that I no longer worry as much about the people watching me or playing with me.

I just played a tournament in a division unquestionably above my own. Coincidentally, I started playing down to my skill level shortly after realizing that I was playing above my expectations. Just take every shot seriously, don't try to impress people, and play your game while learning that your game might also be a bit better than you used to think... In short, you're probably not as bad (or as good) as you think. Get out there and get used to playing with people who throw better and make smarter decisions than you do.

Last edited by armiller; 08-09-2018 at 02:48 PM.