Old 02-23-2017, 10:30 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 31 Times in 28 Posts

I can't speak to "elite distance", but I have about 450-500 and I don't actively unload my wrist. It unloads, but it's just a byproduct of timing and correct body positions. The only active thing I do with my wrist is cock it slightly down to keep the nose down on release. Keep the hand on the outside of the disc (opposite side of the disc from your chest when at right pec position).
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 02-23-2017, 11:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,605 Times in 1,650 Posts

I agree with clard, I also don't have the upper distance form level but on my longest shots of 430-450' I've never done anything differently with my wrist that has led me to that distance...it's always been another part of my form that gets me there. I also just focus on the wrist down/nose down grip, and wrist straight or closed just enough to keep the hand on the outside of the disc to enable a loading. When you swing the shoulder and clamp down on the disc at the end, you'll unload.

@deyo7 you can always get crumby phone footage of yourself to look at just to make sure you're doing what you think...don't have to post to get overwhelmed by 10 new things.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:02 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 368 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clard View Post
I can't speak to "elite distance", but I have about 450-500 and I don't actively unload my wrist. It unloads, but it's just a byproduct of timing and correct body positions. The only active thing I do with my wrist is cock it slightly down to keep the nose down on release. Keep the hand on the outside of the disc (opposite side of the disc from your chest when at right pec position).
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
I agree with clard, I also don't have the upper distance form level but on my longest shots of 430-450' I've never done anything differently with my wrist that has led me to that distance...it's always been another part of my form that gets me there. I also just focus on the wrist down/nose down grip, and wrist straight or closed just enough to keep the hand on the outside of the disc to enable a loading. When you swing the shoulder and clamp down on the disc at the end, you'll unload.

@deyo7 you can always get crumby phone footage of yourself to look at just to make sure you're doing what you think...don't have to post to get overwhelmed by 10 new things.
Elite levels to me, guys. Sorry to keep asking questions: To clarify, "clamp down on disc at end". Do you grip harder at the end to avoid slipping early? I've been wondering that and your comment reminded me.

Re: cocking wrist down/nose angle. I think I might be on top of this. Slowplastic, after you helped me align this correctly in other forum, it's helped immensely. I don't turn any discs over anymore and I definitely gained distance.

Yeah maybe I'll just post video back to this forum to see if I'm on the right track. Looks like it might be awhile though.. cold and windy then rain and snow in the forecast.

Thanks again guys
Old 02-23-2017, 12:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,605 Times in 1,650 Posts

It sounds like you've got a lot of pieces/understanding to keep getting you to the next step, and you're going about it the right way. Yeah the common consensus is to have a moderate/loose-ish grip but proper alignment during the steps and reachback, then as you are at the right pec and approaching the hit point you grip the disc harder. If you grip too early you can tense up too much which leads to a slower throw. If your angles are right then you shouldn't really be releasing too early if you don't grip super hard (the disc won't come out until you swing it/pop it/wrist releases), but gripping it tighter seems to lead to more powerful ejections. Basically early releases are often because of poor angles and timing, and gripping the disc firm near the hit point is what most people aim to do.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:19 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 368 Times in 254 Posts

Perfect, thank you for the full explanation. I've been gripping semi-firm throughout ... I'll definitely try out loose-ish to firm. I hadn't had problems with early releases - or I don't think so at least - because throws going nice and straight but was thinking it might add power... but didn't want to mess with it for fear of screwing things up.

Thank you, I owe you
Old 02-23-2017, 03:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

In general, I'm not a wrist wrap guy either. D7 is working on timing. What wrapping the wrist does is sets a timer on your load. It's not necessary.

Avery Jenkins and Ricky both pre wrap. There's a distance clinic at Gentlemen's that has an awesome vid of Will S. He has a style similar to Eagle. As they step out of the X, they push the disc back. The disc then moves into the loaded position. First, you can see directly that Will wraps. Not a lot, 15 to 20 degrees off 180. Second, you can see the difference in speed and effort between the load and the unload. The video is on the 2017 GCC Twitter.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 31 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
In general, I'm not a wrist wrap guy either. D7 is working on timing. What wrapping the wrist does is sets a timer on your load. It's not necessary.

Avery Jenkins and Ricky both pre wrap. There's a distance clinic at Gentlemen's that has an awesome vid of Will S. He has a style similar to Eagle. As they step out of the X, they push the disc back. The disc then moves into the loaded position. First, you can see directly that Will wraps. Not a lot, 15 to 20 degrees off 180. Second, you can see the difference in speed and effort between the load and the unload. The video is on the 2017 GCC Twitter.
I understand what you are saying. I am always very hesitant to tell people to do anything with their wrist other than control nose angle because a lot of people come into disc golf trying to "fling" the disc with their wrist like a beach frisbee. The main thing I want to emphasize is that for people who aren't hitting 400-450 actively using the wrist is NOT what you are missing.