Old 02-27-2017, 04:31 AM

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Practice for distance

I'm new to disc golf. I've been playing for about a two months now. I am really struggling to get any distance out of my drives. On a good day with no wind I can throw my champion valkyrie about 200 ft. I know that a big part of the problem is getting my timing down and my lower body more involved. My question is how do you practice this. I don't have enough discs to be able to go to a field and practice without spending most of the time fetching my discs. I have tried practicing in my living room with a towel but without seeing the disc fly, I find that it is hard to tell if I made any mistakes in my mechanics. What can I do for practice on my distance until I can acquire enough discs to warrant going to a field and throwing. I wish there were driving ranges for disc golf. Playing rounds is fun but I'm not improving.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2017, 05:13 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 19
Niced 113 Times in 60 Posts

From my experience getting better at disc golf is 10% equipment, 20% learning the right technique(for instance on these forums and youtube) and 70% tossing plastic. If you learm the right technique with the right equipment distance will come.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:49 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 50.3
Courses Played: 52
Niced 647 Times in 276 Posts

Hang a blanket up in a garage, basement, spare room, over a clothes line, and throw into that.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,150 Times in 667 Posts

After 3.5 years playing and tons of research.. I think it's vital to throw light understable discs at first so you learn to throw hyzer instead of throwing discs that are too overstable for you, causing you to torque, wrist roll, etc, to get that disc to flex, etc, etc. A champion valk might just be too much disc for what ever reason. Hell...I can throw a tern 350ft now but I still can't throw a champ valk out past 250. lol.. But I 100% agree regardless of disc, work on that form...over and over. Do the towel drill as often as possible, get a putter and just go out and throw it, level...straight...etc, etc. This game just takes some time, we all go through it. The only ones that seem to get immediate results are the baseball guys that come over to the sport and can bomb forehand right away, but even they struggle with learning the backhand. lol.. Put in the time...distance and form will follow.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:57 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 15
Niced 468 Times in 285 Posts

It's been said before, but bears repeating. Play with only a putter, if you gotta add more discs a nice neutral to understable mid. Be careful not to fall in to the trap of thinking more discs makes you better.

I've been playing rounds with just a QMS and Aviar lately and have seen my scores drop, and distance improve. It helps you throw cleaner, and learn better course management.

There was a thread somewhere on here with a whole mess of drills to help with driving. Anyone got the link?
Old 02-27-2017, 11:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 45
Niced 647 Times in 321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtydirtybirds View Post
There was a thread somewhere on here with a whole mess of drills to help with driving. Anyone got the link?
It's a sticky in the technique subforum... http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...d.php?t=119328
Old 02-27-2017, 11:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 93 Times in 55 Posts

1: If you dont have enugh discs to practice and throw many shots in repetition.... Get more discs.

2: Film yourself in slowmotion. Nobody can be sure what you are doing right and wrong as long as we dont see it. Film yourself and compare to pros and what they do. Then make a list of things you wanna change in your drive, practice, practice, and then film yourself again and compare again. it's a neverending process of improvement. But without filming yoursself you'll never know how far you are.

And post the movies in the form critique forum.

Niced: (2)
Old 02-27-2017, 11:47 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 25 Times in 19 Posts

Putter rounds and if you must have a driver, do yourself a favor and buy an MVP Relay. Yes it's only 6 speed but I bet you can throw it as far or farther than your Valk. It is US without being flippy and because it is slow you can shape lines and learn to make it do what you want it to much easier as well as getting great distance.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 15
Niced 468 Times in 285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigles View Post
1: If you dont have enugh discs to practice and throw many shots in repetition.... Get more discs.
This is the exact reason I have a whole bag of aviars. I try to add 5' a week. It doesn't seem like much, but it is. Much easier before you hit 250' than after for sure.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 31 Times in 28 Posts

Alternatively, get really good exercise by only throwing one or two discs back and forth across a field! I've been practicing with fewer discs lately, and I think it helps give a little room to breath and reset between throws rather than just machine gunning them one after the other.