Old 09-20-2019, 12:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

I think I'm feeling why I haven't been balanced on the left leg, or why I tend to step too far with the left foot instead of naturally being inside the balance during X-step, and why my weight kind of tips back during the X-step.

I'm sure I've been told this many times in different ways and with respect to spine angles or other things. Or shifting from the ground up. Starting the push like a speed skater kind of helped me think of it though.

So here are mirror image positions of Eagle's throw, from the drive off the rear foot to the catch on the front leg. When he drives off the rear leg he has the leading hip lower than the trailing hip, so it feels like he can lean forward and leverage forward off the rear foot, like you're committing to a forward push of your whole body as if you were running or skating. But then just before the foot touches down he turns more to THEN get into that shift from behind position, and the rear hip becomes lower than the front hip so that he is aligned to catch himself.

Basically, I feel like I have been set up for the shift from behind as I'm already getting onto my left leg, so my left hip is lower the whole time and I'm just falling down butt-first to my right leg, only to give a push at the last instant before I land. I think I should feel like I am pushing forward strongly from my left instep, then just re-aligning as I am about to do the last instant of catching myself to land butt-first to have that strong shift from behind feeling.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eagle Hip Angle.jpg (22.2 KB, 84 views)
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 09-20-2019, 04:55 PM
* Ace Member *

I got to throw like a dozen shots today with that hip feeling. This is definitely the right thing to do and the start of a big breakthrough. I know this because SW's drills all feel more intuitive now, rather than having to think of positions and movements. The kick the ball drill now makes perfect sense when I load this front hip to the planted hip, where before I would try to tilt my spine toward the target and it felt like a swinging motion rather than leverage. The ice skating back and forth feeling is very obvious to me now.

When only throwing a few shots like this, I had to concentrate on the lower body feeling and I lost that thought of disc slinging, so most shots were slightly nose up. I was just throwing with what felt like an "anchored walk" pace down the teepad, and was still throwing putters easily 300' and fairways 360-370' with neutral nose angle. I feel like there's tons in the tank when I get this honed in and don't have to concentrate on it, especially when my arm/disc are along for the ride correctly.

I also tried a couple FH shots like this, I can tell I wasn't doing it in FH before but instead just had a momentum based shift from behind landing. I feel a constant leverage/push with this lower body feel, but my release point was a bit off or late...that will take some zoning out of the lower body to get used to. But I really think this can boost my FH power too.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,782 Times in 1,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
so most shots were slightly nose up.
Go to Bratten's 2 finger grip.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Go to Bratten's 2 finger grip.
My arm/hit felt a bit off on the nose up shots. I really think it was that I couldn't just concentrate on the weight of the disc and get that full sling through...I was 100% focused on what my hips were doing. I cleanly flipped some less stable drivers over pretty good when I got them nose down and leveraged through them, it's definitely going to give me a strong pull through the hit. If I continue to have nose issues I will remember to explore grip.

I'm hoping to walk through these weight shift motions a bit so that next time I'm on the course I won't have to think about it so much. I always throw better when I can focus on the disc/hit and the line.

The "two step reciprocating dingle arm" just feels so strong and obvious now. Feels like ice skating back and forth. Once you catch your weight on one leg the soon to be leading hip is down and ready to be leveraged to the other side. You can really push off the back foot with tons of leverage, and then when you are about to catch on the other foot your hips are re-aligned/tilted to be balanced on that leg. The breakthrough to me is focusing on hip/pelvis alignment and leverage, rather than just spine alignment as in ride the bull with the pool cue demonstration.

https://youtu.be/GxnhM5amro0?t=190

Old 09-20-2019, 10:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,782 Times in 1,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
The "two step reciprocating dingle arm" just feels so strong and obvious now. Feels like ice skating back and forth.

Old 09-20-2019, 10:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Exactly those gifs.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg skating throw.jpg (18.4 KB, 82 views)

Old 09-23-2019, 11:22 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 202 Times in 154 Posts

That speed skating gif is awesome. You can see how everything gets stacked up as he shifts from leg to leg, his hand up in the air counters the "rear leg" while his other arm stays close in.

Also just realized speed skaters are just continually "dabbing".