Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Disc Golf Courses

Old 06-06-2014, 09:37 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 25
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
I'd pay $10 per round on a course that was well-manicured. I don't think $10/round will be enough to have a country club level facility.
Cart prices being the same, and I believe any course that charges less than half the rate for golf is a losing venture.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2014, 09:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.4
Courses Played: 242
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,619 Times in 708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteyBear View Post
Cart prices being the same, and I believe any course that charges less than half the rate for golf is a losing venture.
To a degree, yes. But, putting 40 disc golfers on a course at half price is forgone revenue captured. My guess is, if the course could fill itself with ball golfers and was making money, they would not be interested in putting in a disc course.

This is one of my talking points to ball golfers whom I have encountered. When facing an opponent of disc on "their" course, I try to point out that if there was enough of "them" for the course to make money, I would not be invited by the course to be there.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:12 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 163
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 21 Times in 17 Posts

I did check out the foot golf video. It does not look like something I would consider playing. Looks like another new fad that we can hope will go away and not take away possible future disc golf locations.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 311
Niced 2,126 Times in 1,055 Posts

As a player, I thought they ended with a decent enough course here, but it needs signs and better tees to be really good.

As to whether or not this has truly benefitted the facility, I honestly have no clue. Our local club has been running tourneys there for a few years now.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:11 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 25
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter S View Post
I did check out the foot golf video. It does not look like something I would consider playing. Looks like another new fad that we can hope will go away and not take away possible future disc golf locations.
Why? Because you don't like it? This is kind of how "birders" and naturalists feel when a disc golf course is put into their "territory". There will come a time when we need to stop depending on parks&rec to give us land, and start private ventures more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
To a degree, yes. But, putting 40 disc golfers on a course at half price is forgone revenue captured. My guess is, if the course could fill itself with ball golfers and was making money, they would not be interested in putting in a disc course.

This is one of my talking points to ball golfers whom I have encountered. When facing an opponent of disc on "their" course, I try to point out that if there was enough of "them" for the course to make money, I would not be invited by the course to be there.
Fair enough point, but that's also because of a slump in the economy, take it back to 2000-2004, and you probably would have those same courses ask you not to come back with that proposal. We have to remember that, if playing disc, we are on their course, built by golfers and sustained by golfers fees. Have to show some respect for what got us those courses in the first place.

Yeah, you'll get a nose turned up on you, I'd expect that as well. They want etiquette and respect for the game/land. Every new course built on a golf course has to be able to shed that stigma of a hippy game played by a bunch of hippies with no respect. And that's where we are.

So yeah, if anyone is playing on a golf course, and is only paying 5-10 bucks to play, consider that a HUGE subsidy. Maybe it's just to lure them in, and once they get the equipment paid for, look for those rates to probably climb substantially. Especially if business turns back around.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:21 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 78
Niced 106 Times in 65 Posts

I played one round of foot golf, it is fun. The difficulty comes in putting. When the hole is on a hill you need to read the green. I did not like that the golf course had the same greens fees as a round of ball golf though. We had a discounted round through Groupon. I know Sea Pines Golf Course in Los Osos has a disc golf course on the ball golf course that they added right after I moved from Los Osos.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.4
Courses Played: 242
Niced 1,619 Times in 708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteyBear View Post
Why? Because you don't like it? This is kind of how "birders" and naturalists feel when a disc golf course is put into their "territory". There will come a time when we need to stop depending on parks&rec to give us land, and start private ventures more.

Fair enough point, but that's also because of a slump in the economy, take it back to 2000-2004, and you probably would have those same courses ask you not to come back with that proposal. We have to remember that, if playing disc, we are on their course, built by golfers and sustained by golfers fees. Have to show some respect for what got us those courses in the first place.

Yeah, you'll get a nose turned up on you, I'd expect that as well. They want etiquette and respect for the game/land. Every new course built on a golf course has to be able to shed that stigma of a hippy game played by a bunch of hippies with no respect. And that's where we are.

So yeah, if anyone is playing on a golf course, and is only paying 5-10 bucks to play, consider that a HUGE subsidy. Maybe it's just to lure them in, and once they get the equipment paid for, look for those rates to probably climb substantially. Especially if business turns back around.
Competely agree. Though I don't know that the downward trend in ball golf popularity is mostly due to the economy, nor do I necessarily see a trend reversal, if they continue the current buisness model. With that said, I am probably one of the few that would pay a substantial membership fee to play a quailty, close course with amenities.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:32 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 360
Niced 725 Times in 253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Seems pretty stupid to me, kicking a ball is not that hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter S View Post
^^
People who throw orbs of plastic at metal chain bearing contraptions having these sort of attitudes about a different niche sport kinda stink of hypocrisy if you ask me.

I see absolutely no threat from foot golfers, and actually think a foot golf and disc golf course would pair well together.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-06-2014, 02:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.6
Courses Played: 95
Niced 860 Times in 329 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

I agree with scarpfish.

Kicking a ball is as hard as throwing a Frisbee. If you want to do it at a top level then it takes practice, just like throwing a Frisbee does.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:27 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 34
Niced 5 Times in 4 Posts

^ Totally. My fringe game is cool, but yours.....