Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Disc Golf Courses

Old 06-06-2014, 03:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.4
Courses Played: 247
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,629 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Thanks Daddy, I looked it up. Seems pretty stupid to me, kicking a ball is not that hard. Of course that is after several years of childhood soccer, even then it seems kind of stupid. I am willing to bet that just as many people say the exact same thing about our game though. A lot more kids today have grown up with soccer, than frisbee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
^^
People who throw orbs of plastic at metal chain bearing contraptions having these sort of attitudes about a different niche sport kinda stink of hypocrisy if you ask me.

I see absolutely no threat from foot golfers, and actually think a foot golf and disc golf course would pair well together.
Quoting my whole posts certainly demonstrates my agreement. Still think it is dumb, but concur that most think the same of our game. I would bet that foot golf has a better chance at catching on, and a better growth rate than disc golf.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2014, 03:36 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 62
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

There is a private course in Paradise, CA that offers both ball and disc golf. They have ball golf from 6am - 12pm and then they close off the ball golf to allow disc golf from 12pm - sundown. I have played there and it is a really nice course to play on. Lava Creek is the name.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 119
Niced 98 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Quoting my whole posts certainly demonstrates my agreement. Still think it is dumb, but concur that most think the same of our game. I would bet that foot golf has a better chance at catching on, and a better growth rate than disc golf.
Here's the one reason I kinda doubt that. Foot golf courses pretty much need to be installed on golf courses. Disc golf can be installed on golf courses, in parks, through the woods, on farms, mountains, in caves (Crystal City anyone?), etc. There's virtually no limit to where a disc golf course can go. Foot golf however, like golf, is limited by needing to hit a ball off the ground. The ground therefore needs to be fairly clean and clear and not on a super steep hill. So, I'm not too worried about the sport beating disc golf out of the popular niche sport spotlight.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:02 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 35.8
Courses Played: 2
Niced 70 Times in 41 Posts

A course near me had a foot golf course on the premises. While I never had the urge to try foot golf, I can say that it was irritating on the ball golf side. I used to play the ball golf course several times a week but stopped playing there and went elsewhere, because they kept closing 9 holes for the foot golf, even though I never saw more than 4-5 people out playing at any one time. I think for foot golf or disc golf to be successful they need to allow the groups to be incorporated on the course at the same time, which of course introduces some safety issues. Otherwise traffic for both will start to approach zero.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-03-2019, 03:28 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 738 Times in 630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
^^
People who throw orbs of plastic at metal chain bearing contraptions having these sort of attitudes about a different niche sport kinda stink of hypocrisy if you ask me.

I see absolutely no threat from foot golfers, and actually think a foot golf and disc golf course would pair well together.
Foot Golf needs the same type of open that a golf course has so...No the sport will never pair well with Disc Golf nor will they ever end up on public parks like disc golf because Disc Golf can play in tighter spots then a golf course will or a foot golf course. it is an interesting idea but It will be a long time before it ever takes off like Disc Golf, even disc golf took 10 years of tournaments before the courses ever took off. I hope Foot Golf or Golf Ball as I am calling it does take off but only on Golf Courses and eventually becomes something called Golf Ball on TV as traditional Golf is failing due to all the cost to play with clubs and balls as well as shoes. The sports Golf Ball and Traditional Golf need smoother land to play on though the Golf Ball can use a bit more elevation or uneven ground in the game that Traditional Golf does not have by simply using a bigger ball.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 09-03-2019 at 03:32 AM.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:51 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 29
Niced 132 Times in 70 Posts

Traditional golf is failing? I don’t know about that.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:19 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 738 Times in 630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgmc View Post
Traditional golf is failing? I donΒ’t know about that.
Not necessarily, the problem is the Tiger Woods effect where too many smaller 9 hole traditional golf courses failed that were put up during the time Tiger Woods went pro to the point that Mr. Woods had the affair go public and failed after that partially due to the economy. The courses were often small 9 hole ones that now with work could be disc golf courses for 18 hole courses that would with work be good courses. I have seen on YouTube 2 or 3 of these 9 hole courses become this disc golf course be it finished or that they had the plans to do this to these small courses made during the Tiger Woods effect.

Also Millennial's and Y generation are not playing traditional golf as much either they do not like the environmental impact and/or they do not afford to play golf as much or at all. Also boomers are playing golf less then before. Costs to maintain a Traditional golf course have gone up making it hard to keep them afloat simply due to the fact in the USA 95% these courses do not want to use grass that can handle the environment of water in the area.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,310 Times in 1,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgmc View Post
Traditional golf is failing? I don’t know about that.
"Failing" is a bit of hyperbole, but the number of courses has been going down every year, for more than a decade. Far more courses closing than opening; hence, the notion that some of the borderline ones might stay alive with additional income---disc golf, foot golf, etc.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:32 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 29
Niced 132 Times in 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
"Failing" is a bit of hyperbole, but the number of courses has been going down every year, for more than a decade. Far more courses closing than opening; hence, the notion that some of the borderline ones might stay alive with additional income---disc golf, foot golf, etc.
Completely understandable that there wouldn't be many new courses opening. Think of the startup cost. That much land, close to a poplulation large enough to justify a course, is going to cost a small fortune.

Old 09-08-2019, 07:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 475 Times in 201 Posts

I grew up in front of a municipal golf course in the 70's.
Membership was <$20 month for the family, unlimited play.
Started playing golf again in the 80's, and the yearly fee for a (different but similar) municipal course was $350/yr for the family, unlimited play.
If I wanted to play now, it would be several thousand per year, plus greens fees every time I played. Most private courses around here are $30-60 per round, a little less in the off-season.
My point is, golf has changed over the years, generally, into even more elitist and expensive than in the past.
It's not something that I want to get back into, that's why I play DG.