Old 02-18-2020, 02:42 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 192 Times in 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdepue View Post
The power pocket is a great example of something that people talk about as if it's something that you should actively try to make happen when it's rather more like an effect of these other, more fundamental things.
Exactly.

People tend to focus on the wrong things and it can be ruinous to good form.

I, for example, spent a lot of time worrying about the positioning of my feet. Forcing a stagger and angling my front foot back to make sure it was closed off to the target. Of course, focusing on those things will get you nowhere. Your feet will automatically do what they need to once your fundamentals are good.

Unfortunately, I'm still in the process of breaking the habits I formed focusing on the wrong things. Fortunately, because I know what fundamentals to focus on, it gets easier and easier every time I do it.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2020, 06:27 PM

Niced 54 Times in 17 Posts

"How they get into and out of these moves differ, but they're all making them."

How we get into and out of these moves do differ, and I don't mean to imply that they are as important as the fundamental moves you have listed, but I do think that they are important to the individual and their timing. The only point I was trying to make, and I clearly made a hash of it, is that it is very difficult to find your swing cue, to borrow a golf term, when your timing is wrong. A subtle change may produce dramatic results, but that change can be far from obvious given all the variables and the variety of examples the pros provide for us. We suffer from survivor bias when we watch the pros. They have found, or happened upon, what works for them some of which is unorthodox. My game might be greatly improved by something which isn't fundamental but would change my timing, and that could be as little as changing my posture which would change the length of my strides on my approach.

drk evns, mjdepue, sidewinder22, thank you for your responses I have enjoyed reading them and the discussion.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:36 PM

Years Playing: -0.2
Courses Played: 1
Niced 9 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk_evns View Post
I thoroughly disagree with this.

Here is the classic form video. These pros have vastly different bodies and styles, but you can see they are all doing the exact same moves to throw the disc:
I disagree that they are all doing the "exact same moves". The first 11 seconds there are marked differences. Stop it at :11 and there is a very great difference in their leg placement.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:52 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjnoodlearm View Post
I disagree that they are all doing the "exact same moves". The first 11 seconds there are marked differences. Stop it at :11 and there is a very great difference in their leg placement.

See previous posts for my opinion.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,222 Times in 1,962 Posts

Quote:
Compare those 4 players from start to finish to any amateur and you will see the significant differences in balance/posture and sequence. The pros all make the same transition "move" and have the same kinetic sequence, but they might have slightly different angles or nuances.

Moving around the disc: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...ad.php?t=91096

Kinetic Sequence: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=133319

Old 02-19-2020, 09:13 AM

Years Playing: -0.2
Courses Played: 1
Niced 9 Times in 6 Posts
Default differences

I'm not arguing with those of you who are far more advanced and have the ability to screen out the non-important differences from the very important similarities.

I'm just making the point that to a noob's eyes there are easily seen differences, so when someone says "they are all the same and this is what you should do" it is confusing at the very least.

Niced: (1)

Old 02-19-2020, 09:18 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
I'm not arguing with those of you who are far more advanced and have the ability to screen out the non-important differences from the very important similarities.

I'm just making the point that to a noob's eyes there are easily seen differences, so when someone says "they are all the same and this is what you should do" it is confusing at the very least.

I understand that, and this is going to frustrate you even more but... it is that easy. Once you get it, you get it. It seems so simple and it’s funny how much frustration you have to go through to get there.

The answer is to post video of your form in form analysis and start grinding.