Old 09-05-2019, 12:00 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 290 Times in 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFrance View Post
This is what I was thinking of what not to do from another discussion https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=134700.

I think it is just this video of the Mike's (Austin and Dunaway) not showing the concept clearly. I think this one shows his version of the rocking the hips better.

Yeah that's the discussion I was thinking of as well. I thought the consensus was that citysmasher (forgetting his old DGR name) was wrong.

I mean, look at GG, his rear side is most certainly not leading the throw, it's just countering the swing. Yeah there's a little extra gas pedal action, but that's not the main engine of the throw, as SW22 has said recently.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by UhhNegative; 09-05-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:37 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 173 Times in 120 Posts

This has been a great thread to revisit. Lots of great stuff in here. Lately, I've adpoted SW's pendulum backswing, and it has helped things. But, I still have the bad ingrained habit of focusing on rotation - which leads to spinning out, hugging, OAT, lots of bad things.

SW has always said to stride straight within your stance. Another bad habit of mine, or perhaps a result of bad balance, is that I fall right to left in my RHBH into a too-staggered stance. This also causes a litany of issues...

I've tried some dry runs of just trying to over-exaggerate a straight stride, and even took some indoor video of me throwing this way. Seems like a lot of things just fall into place and fix themselves by focusing more on simply turning the shoulders back into the rear hip and striding laterally. The amount of space I have to swing the disc through is crazy. The elbow bends, the hand comes into center chest, and gets released out. Also, the upwards shoulder shrug is gone. I'm gonna try to get the field today and get some footage, but I think this is the right track.

How this pertains to this thread: striding straight kind of lets me forget about trying to rotate, and allows or sets everything up to move more laterally. Including the hips. This is so counterintuitive but makes a lot of sense once you try it and see it. Thanks everyone for the great info and discussion and giving me something to try out.

Niced: (2)
Old 02-24-2020, 11:45 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 192 Times in 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack504 View Post
This has been a great thread to revisit. Lots of great stuff in here. Lately, I've adpoted SW's pendulum backswing, and it has helped things. But, I still have the bad ingrained habit of focusing on rotation - which leads to spinning out, hugging, OAT, lots of bad things.

SW has always said to stride straight within your stance. Another bad habit of mine, or perhaps a result of bad balance, is that I fall right to left in my RHBH into a too-staggered stance. This also causes a litany of issues...

I've tried some dry runs of just trying to over-exaggerate a straight stride, and even took some indoor video of me throwing this way. Seems like a lot of things just fall into place and fix themselves by focusing more on simply turning the shoulders back into the rear hip and striding laterally. The amount of space I have to swing the disc through is crazy. The elbow bends, the hand comes into center chest, and gets released out. Also, the upwards shoulder shrug is gone. I'm gonna try to get the field today and get some footage, but I think this is the right track.

How this pertains to this thread: striding straight kind of lets me forget about trying to rotate, and allows or sets everything up to move more laterally. Including the hips. This is so counterintuitive but makes a lot of sense once you try it and see it. Thanks everyone for the great info and discussion and giving me something to try out.
You are absolutely on the right track with all of this.

Straight stride is something I'm still working on. Try standing up more straight. Having good posture is important but also really helps keep your stride straight. It's all about keeping your butt on the wall through the entire swing (see SW22 butt wipe drill)

I found I would lean over way too far because I wanted to stagger my step a lot. When I stand up straight, I stride a lot straighter and can release flat.

I bet on average you throw a lot of hyzer. Practice some really tall/upright flat shots.

Striding straight might even feel like you're planting behind your line because you're so used to the stagger.

Old 02-25-2020, 12:59 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 24
Niced 173 Times in 120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk_evns View Post
You are absolutely on the right track with all of this.

Straight stride is something I'm still working on. Try standing up more straight. Having good posture is important but also really helps keep your stride straight. It's all about keeping your butt on the wall through the entire swing (see SW22 butt wipe drill)

I found I would lean over way too far because I wanted to stagger my step a lot. When I stand up straight, I stride a lot straighter and can release flat.

I bet on average you throw a lot of hyzer. Practice some really tall/upright flat shots.

Striding straight might even feel like you're planting behind your line because you're so used to the stagger.
Yep this all sounds right.

The standing tall thing is something I've also been thinking about. So, question for you, SW, HUB and others:

Should my heels be under my butt? Because now they're not, I feel like my balance is more on my toes and kind of teetering downwards - towards left hand side of the tee pad. If that makes sense. Probably explains why I have to stagger so much to catch myself.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:12 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Should my heels be under my butt? Because now they're not, I feel like my balance is more on my toes and kind of teetering downwards - towards left hand side of the tee pad. If that makes sense. Probably explains why I have to stagger so much to catch myself.
You should be balanced.

I was also leaning forward because that's how you create stagger. You're just essentially falling forward and catching yourself. Your butt needs to stay on the wall.

Paul is my favorite example of a straight stride. Watch where his feet are. Make sure you're watching a video of his drive, he super bends his knees on controlled shots and you wouldn't want to replicate that for power.

Old 02-26-2020, 03:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,233 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
The standing tall thing is something I've also been thinking about. So, question for you, SW, HUB and others:

Heels pretty much under hips when setting up, just like standing upright, then maintain dynamic balance as you move and stride and widen stance and get more athletic.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-26-2020, 03:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,233 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFrance View Post
This is what I was thinking of what not to do from another discussion https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=134700.

I think it is just this video of the Mike's (Austin and Dunaway) not showing the concept clearly. I think this one shows his version of the rocking the hips better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhhNegative View Post
Yeah that's the discussion I was thinking of as well. I thought the consensus was that citysmasher (forgetting his old DGR name) was wrong.

I mean, look at GG, his rear side is most certainly not leading the throw, it's just countering the swing. Yeah there's a little extra gas pedal action, but that's not the main engine of the throw, as SW22 has said recently.
Just saw this Dan Shauger vid below pop up, like whoah.

Longer shoulder lever: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=135088

Niced: (1)
Old 02-26-2020, 02:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 28
Niced 415 Times in 238 Posts

I picked up on something I was doing wrong. I was shifting my pelvis more laterally instead of rising up to the rib cage and out (3:15) or as Mike Austin explains to Dunaway (4:00) “on the bias or diagonally.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Just saw this Dan Shauger vid below pop up, like whoah.

Old 03-05-2020, 07:22 PM
Birdie Member

You're shifting the hips toward the target, not open. Thanks SC.

Niced: (3)

Old 03-06-2020, 08:35 AM
Birdie Member

It took me a long time to realize his daughter was left-handed. Just looked like a regular disc golf throw until SC walked up and took a righty stance and I realized what was happening.