Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 12-12-2019, 02:52 AM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Searching for 'the five minute beginner technique'

Hi everyone!

So, I've been playing with family and friends that are totally new to disc golf.
And quite often I've had a hard time explaining the technique in a way that is simple to understand and doesn't go in to too much detail.
I'm talking about people that "just want to throw" but also get frustrated when they don't throw far or straight. With people like that you only have about five to ten minutes to explain EVERYTHING, and with no interruptions later on in the game. This is a much more difficult task than explaining to people that are willing to listen and don't mind taking a few minutes every once in a while to get tips on their form.

The problem is that when you tell a beginner that they shouldn't be rounding, to get power from the ground up, grip the disc on the outside etc. This information doesn't connect with them without some time and effort. So if they aren't interested they get restless and everything seems to complicated.
The explanation has to be easily converted to something that they understand and can build on later if they want.

So, how do you get the most out of these few minutes? How do you get someone that has never played any sport before to throw more or less straight and maybe 150-200 f?
Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 12-12-2019, 07:41 AM

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi Navel,
I've had success suggesting new players keep their thumb horizontal during the throw (RHBH,LHBH) and the more the player can incorporate their hips the further the disc will go. For kids I tell them there is a cup of water on their disc and they don't want to spill any water while throwing the disc. Its just a gimmick to keep the throwers shoulder down during the throw, when the player inevitably throws the disc and it goes high and hyzers out then falls back to the ground not far from where the player is standing I remind them to look at their thumb because its generally pointing skyward. For a new player keeping their thumb horizontal is an easy focus and will add a substantial amount power to the throw. I also mention to relax, laugh when you hit trees or make mistakes and just have fun.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-12-2019, 09:52 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 36 Times in 18 Posts

Imagine dragging a handheld brush across a bar and then flicking the drips off the end of the brush across the room.
The more bar you sweep the further the throw.
The further you flick the drips the more spin.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:20 AM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugular View Post
Imagine dragging a handheld brush across a bar and then flicking the drips off the end of the brush across the room.
The more bar you sweep the further the throw.
The further you flick the drips the more spin.
Wouldn't this just make a beginner curl up their wrist and focus on snapping when they think they want to release?
It might work for some people, as it will surely get some spin on the disc, but the technique might be all kinds of wrong? I'm picturing telling my sisters this tip and they will coil their wrist and then release the disc with spin but no forward momentum faaaaar right. I might be wrong however.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:29 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 36 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by navel View Post
Wouldn't this just make a beginner curl up their wrist and focus on snapping when they think they want to release?
It might work for some people, as it will surely get some spin on the disc, but the technique might be all kinds of wrong? I'm picturing telling my sisters this tip and they will coil their wrist and then release the disc with spin but no forward momentum faaaaar right. I might be wrong however.
The dragging along a bar analogy has worked exceptionally well for me.

I elaborated on the fly to try and add a few useful pointers but you may be right perhaps they wouldn't work so well.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:40 AM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Hi Navel,
I've had success suggesting new players keep their thumb horizontal during the throw (RHBH,LHBH) and the more the player can incorporate their hips the further the disc will go. For kids I tell them there is a cup of water on their disc and they don't want to spill any water while throwing the disc. Its just a gimmick to keep the throwers shoulder down during the throw, when the player inevitably throws the disc and it goes high and hyzers out then falls back to the ground not far from where the player is standing I remind them to look at their thumb because its generally pointing skyward. For a new player keeping their thumb horizontal is an easy focus and will add a substantial amount power to the throw. I also mention to relax, laugh when you hit trees or make mistakes and just have fun.
This seems like a great tip to a beginner, in theory.
I've told people tips similar to this one before. Sometimes it works sometimes it wont.
Most of them know that they are pulling high, but just focusing on the grip/wrist/hand placement is often not the answer to the problem. They will pull the disc from far down and release high either way.
Telling someone to generate power from their hips seems like a good way to get them rounding and spinning around with bad balance. But it might work for some I'm sure.

In my opinion these are all great tips, but for someone who is more familiar with athletic activities or has played a few rounds before.
Imagine making your old aunt playing to her best ability within just 5-10 minutes of instructions. THAT's what I'm looking for.
I've tried with telling people to just stand still, look down, relax their arm and swing back and forth (from their left shoulder, down to their toes and back up again to the right) and feel the weight building up down their arm and hand. Like an elephant swinging it's trunk when it walks. But yea.. that doesn't work as well as I intend to.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:49 AM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugular View Post
The dragging along a bar analogy has worked exceptionally well for me.

I elaborated on the fly to try and add a few useful pointers but you may be right perhaps they wouldn't work so well.
I didn't mean to bash your analogy. It's a tip that I will try on friends who has played a few rounds but can't get a good spin on the disc. But if it's one of the first things I tell a total beginner they might focus too much on the wrist I'm afraid.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:57 AM

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 13 Times in 8 Posts

Windmill drill to get them to feel the timing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W75XqL2iq1s

Doorframe drill to get them to feel the weight shift.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W75XqL2iq1s

Doorframe on its own might be enough for super basic instruction.

Have them stand still next to a tree and ask them how they would pull on it with one hand if they were really trying to move it--perhaps demonstrate how first.

Last edited by mjdepue; 12-12-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.7
Courses Played: 248
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,865 Times in 804 Posts

I have introduced a lot of people to the game. I find it best to simply emphasize a flat throw and release. For those that have any Frisbee experience, making sure they understand that the disc is going to quickly go left (RHBH). A smart disc selection will immediately help them. I like to provide Comets, Status and understable mids. The most important wisdom I try to impart is that there is a learning curve and fun is the objective. Outdoor therapy, the game is something great to do while being outside with friends.

Old 12-12-2019, 03:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 39
Niced 534 Times in 260 Posts

Will Schusterick made a nice video of the essentials of throwing.