Old 06-03-2015, 11:22 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 33
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Mosquito deterrent

Who has suggestions for keeping mosquitoes away while playing. Just got back from a round and the mosquitoes were horrible. Used spray, but that just seemed to invite them. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2015, 11:30 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 126
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 64 Times in 41 Posts

What spray? Deep Woods Off usually does the trick, even when the low holes around here are marshy and infested. They have a dry version, now, that doesn't leave your hands greasy feeling, either, so it shouldn't mess with your game.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:35 AM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 610
Niced 780 Times in 340 Posts

Eat grapes. It's a natural skeeter repellent.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 18
Niced 10 Times in 10 Posts

I've heard mosquitoes don't like the smell of dryer sheets, so some people play with a dryer sheet in their pocket.

If you want to use bug spray, but don't want to use artificial chemicals, try something with Lemon Eucalyptus. I've had good success with this.

Otherwise, nothing beats DEET as a mosquito repellent, and as far as all the research has been able to tell, DEET is harmless to humans, even to the point of showering in it. Somewhere around 18%-20% DEET spray should give you max protection, with any higher DEET content not adding any more effectiveness.

If you're also worried about ticks, DEET is not made to repel them. Your best defense against ticks is permethrin, which is harmless when dry, but I hear you don't want to get it on your skin before it's dry. You can buy packs to wash your clothes in it, spray to spray on your clothes, or you can even buy clothes that are pre-treated with permethrin. It's actually the active ingredient in a lot of topical tick repellents for dogs, but it is harmless to dogs' skin in liquid form, whereas I've heard it's bad for human skin until it has dried onto whatever surface it has been applied.

Last edited by Lewis; 06-03-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:41 AM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 330
Niced 3,524 Times in 1,616 Posts

You likely won't find anyting better than commercially available repellents with DEET.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
...nothing beats DEET as a mosquito repellent, and as far as all the research has been able to tell, DEET is harmless to humans, even to the point of showering in it. Somewhere around 18%-20% DEET spray should give you max protection, with any higher DEET content not adding any more effectiveness.
The underlined is not my experience.
I find the 25% stuff works pretty well where bugs are a minor nuisance, but fails miserably on courses where they get really hairy (lots of stangant water or really out in BFE where things are thick and bugs are crazy). The 40% stuff seems to work well in those situations, so that's what I carry in my bag.

I also spray my hat, shirt, pants, socks. Also lighter colors seems to attract fewer buggers.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 06-03-2015 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:46 AM
* Ace Member *

I've been reading on the internet about the effectiveness of high-pitched sound to repel mosquitoes, and although there are apps out there for it, I hear that studies show the claims are junk science at best. Apparently mosquitoes aren't bothered by sounds of any pitch, maybe because they simply can't hear very well in the first place. Smells work better. However, if you want to repel teenagers with high-pitched sound, try blasting around 17-18 kHz at them.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
The underlined is not my experience.
I find the 25% stuff works pretty well where bugs are a minor nuisance, but fails miserably on courses where they get really hairy (lots of stangant water or really out in BFE where things are thick and bugs are crazy). The 40% stuff seems to work well in those situations, so that's what I carry in my bag.
Maybe the DEET spray evaporates gradually, losing its effectiveness over time, but the 40% stays above the max. effectiveness threshold for longer. Or maybe the studies I was told about ~10 years ago when I worked at REI have been corrected by more recent research. Whatever the ideal %, DEET is definitely the most effective product on the market.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:55 AM
* Ace Member *

One thing to beware of about DEET: it will melt some synthetic fibers, especially nylon.

http://www.lymeneteurope.org/info/de...tick-repellent

Niced: (1)
Old 06-03-2015, 12:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 30
Niced 100 Times in 78 Posts

I just use a deep woods bug spray and it seems to do the job. I do reapply between rounds during the summer, because it seems to come off if I am sweating a lot.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 216
Niced 373 Times in 189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
Maybe the DEET spray evaporates gradually, losing its effectiveness over time, but the 40% stays above the max. effectiveness threshold for longer. Or maybe the studies I was told about ~10 years ago when I worked at REI have been corrected by more recent research. Whatever the ideal %, DEET is definitely the most effective product on the market.
That could be it. Since anything higher than 25% is harder to find these days I just buy the regular Deep Woods Off with 25% DEET. The only difference I notice from the 99% DEET stuff (aside from less plastic melting) is that I have to reapply it more frequently in the really bad mosquito swarms.

Permethrin is awesome at repelling ticks. Just treat your clothes a few days in advance and let them dry. Keep in mind it's very toxic to cats so if you have cats I would be very careful with where you keep the treated clothing. It's also very toxic to aquatic life so if you have treated clothing I would stay out of streams and lakes.