Old 11-01-2017, 02:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 158
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,323 Times in 661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
Children's sob story on gofundme will get that basket paid for in 24 hours.
This is true, but it's a better life experience for the kids/community to come together and get it done themselves.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 11-01-2017, 02:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 142
Niced 405 Times in 196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
Children's sob story on gofundme will get that basket paid for in 24 hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
This is true, but it's a better life experience for the kids/community to come together and get it done themselves.
I think both ideas can be worked together - use gofundme to match whatever amount they can work together and collect.

When I had a DG shop we did a fundraiser for Fountain Inn Elementary. One of the teachers (also a DGCR member) got a course put in and we set up our tents and gave a percentage of all sales to their efforts. Great kids too, they were super excited to be part of the event and their parents learned a lot about this "hippie frisbee thing" their kids were always talking about.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-01-2017, 03:29 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 153
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjberry2017 View Post
It's the idea of having "toys in the classroom" and kids being distracted spinning the discs, possibly throwing them, and all sorts of other things. Ridiculous for 95% of kids, but the 5% combined with the ego some teachers can have in regards to kids paying attention to them is enough of a hurdle to be a problem, IMHO. Not that you would necessarily, but I could see there being a few teachers who would have issues with it.
Are you saying that kids should have toys in the classroom? It sounds like that's what you're saying...

Old 11-03-2017, 08:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,408 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
I agree 100% in principle here.

Also from my experience doing multiple crowdfunding campaigns, the rub is that most of the money comes from people you know.

So in other words...their parents will end up paying for a good chunk of it, and the crowdfunding websites get a cut. In this particular instance I'd keep it local, and keep the kids involved. It'll mean so much more to these kids in terms of a sense of accomplishment.