Old 12-05-2021, 09:24 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 32.4
Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 129 Times in 61 Posts

I wanted to thank you all for this thread. As a player who is unable to do an X-step due to a physical injury I finally feel like I am able to really work on my throw now not learning by trial and error on my own. I threw a few discs in my basement for testing purposes and I am really excited about what I felt. I can't wait to see what the future holds.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 12-17-2021, 03:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 951 Times in 576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Perpetual Motion drills are so good, yet I rarely see players doing them. Most players try to do the opposite freezing and getting static and tight and rigid.
I've been thinking about this a lot when considering how to communicate what I'm learning to others & what can help people learn faster.

I wanted to mention that there was a drastic change in my learning rate once I better understood the point of the pendulum drills & beginning and ending in dynamic balance, and feeling the difference. It binds the throw and puts drills into a coherent bigger picture. It can come and go during learning, but it is a (the biggest?) crucial reference point.

W/ his coaching, the SW22 variant of the perpetual pendulum drill was the game-changer for me. Every time I don't end in balance I know *something* is probably wrong, and that the cause just might not be obvious to me yet. Pendulum drills develop a sense of increasingly tightening connection between my upper and lower body, my lead and trailing side, and gravity. Timing becomes clearer and easier to triage when it falls out of whack because the pendulum system only works when the timing is close enough to ideal relative to the body positions and gravity. I have to trust that the pendulum is out there somewhere, and that it will be the guardrails and guide to good form.

Now, I always try to find the pendulum when I integrate new movements in the swing. Otherwise, I find I just kind of end up swimming in details and I have trouble understanding the new move's connection to everything else. I wish I'd gotten the point months ago and started there!

That being said, I'm fascinated that I keep finding surprising correlations across how parts of my body move and weird habits I've picked up. By problem-solving one issue, changes can throw another part out of whack and a reveal an underlying problem. Solving the underlying problem w/ a good expert diagnosis + tailored drills (SW22, I still don't know how you do it!) is the way from there. When I go astray, I try to rediscover the pendulum and it helps smooth things back out.

The last point was really hit home for me while retooling the "Swim Move". I still keep discovering all these weird habits that try to stretch or flex parts of my body, and they keep popping up when I'm first learning new moves. But now it's starting to sink in that no part of the throw should feel like that. You're just using parts of the body in a flow to maintain balance with optimal force imparted on the disc. The whole body can learn to transition those forces smoothly consistently with positional training that improves the compound pendulum system. It starts to feel easier and easier, and you say to yourself "it can't be or feel THAT easy". And that's because it wasn't until it improved your smooth pendulum.

Another thing many of you already know, but hopefully this can help some other confused players out there (and provide an opportunity to rebut this if I'm crazy!).

Old 09-22-2022, 09:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,181 Times in 588 Posts

Been getting back to doing form work after a long break. This picture you posted for me a couple years ago makes so much more sense now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BFD4EB6E-6B9D-4180-8C25-E2BFA4B46AA2.jpg (55.6 KB, 61 views)

Niced: (1)