#11  
Old 10-25-2018, 01:38 PM
wolfmandragon's Avatar
wolfmandragon wolfmandragon is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Morristown, TN
Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,363
Niced 954 Times in 547 Posts
Default

On the reach back, does the shoulder unpack to full extension or does it stay down in its pocket.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-25-2018, 01:41 PM
Geer_Boggles Geer_Boggles is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Southern Maine, US
Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 93
Niced 30 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
What have you thrown already? What of those did you like and why? What didn't you like and why?
I just posted the discs I've thrown in my last reply but I enjoy throwing the Neuron Wave, Echo-Star Leopard, DX Roc, Star Mako3.

I haven't been able to find discs for all my situations yet. I don't have a sidearm (literally zero grasp on that throw, I've tried many times and do better when I can turn over a backhand throw on a slower disc). I'd like to round it all out with over stable discs/stable discs/ and an understable disc or two.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-25-2018, 01:43 PM
Geer_Boggles Geer_Boggles is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Southern Maine, US
Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 93
Niced 30 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
On the reach back, does the shoulder unpack to full extension or does it stay down in its pocket.
That's an issue I'm working on actually, I tend to force my reach backs. I haven't taken video of myself but if I'm going on how it feels I would say I tend to emphasize my shoulders to be square before my pull through. Hope that answers that.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-25-2018, 01:58 PM
DanJon DanJon is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 7,007
Niced 1,078 Times in 518 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geer_Boggles View Post
Right now I have in my bag:

- Neuron Wave
- Champion Wraith
- Star Teerex
- Z-line Surge
- Echo-Star Leopard
- Champion Panther
- DX Roc
- Star Mako3
- DX Aviar
- Pro Dart

I would drop the Wave, Surge and Panther.

Add a Teebird, KC Roc and another Aviar.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-25-2018, 02:09 PM
wolfmandragon's Avatar
wolfmandragon wolfmandragon is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Morristown, TN
Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,363
Niced 954 Times in 547 Posts
Default

Why drop the Wave.? It should be his max distance disc with his armspeed.
Drop the TeeRex, if anything

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-25-2018, 02:21 PM
wolfmandragon's Avatar
wolfmandragon wolfmandragon is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Morristown, TN
Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,363
Niced 954 Times in 547 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geer_Boggles View Post
That's an issue I'm working on actually, I tend to force my reach backs. I haven't taken video of myself but if I'm going on how it feels I would say I tend to emphasize my shoulders to be square before my pull through. Hope that answers that.
That's neutral. I am going to guess in that case you are probably keeping the elbow bent.... that fine form if it is clean, don't worry about forcing it.

With your style and lack of a forehand, I would suggest either a VIP Hatchet or a SP Sail for a turning driver. Hatchet if you like gummy plastic, Sail if you like firm.

Drop the TeeRex....its beyond your arm speed.

Get a driving putter. With you having an Avair in your bag, go with either an Ion or a Wizard. The Ion will have better glide but many(including myself) have trouble gripping the rounded inner rim.

Cheers

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-25-2018, 02:40 PM
tbird888's Avatar
tbird888 tbird888 is offline
Salient Disc Test Team
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Blue Ash, OH
Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 16,440
Niced 1,318 Times in 662 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geer_Boggles View Post
I just posted the discs I've thrown in my last reply but I enjoy throwing the Neuron Wave, Echo-Star Leopard, DX Roc, Star Mako3.

I haven't been able to find discs for all my situations yet. I don't have a sidearm (literally zero grasp on that throw, I've tried many times and do better when I can turn over a backhand throw on a slower disc). I'd like to round it all out with over stable discs/stable discs/ and an understable disc or two.
Based on your list, I'm not sure I'd say you need any more discs, especially if money is an issue. I'd take the Roc and Leopard and practice your FH until you've got it down. The rest of your shots should be able to be covered pretty easily with more practice and some mastery of release angles.

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-25-2018, 02:44 PM
Geer_Boggles Geer_Boggles is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Southern Maine, US
Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 93
Niced 30 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
That's neutral. I am going to guess in that case you are probably keeping the elbow bent.... that fine form if it is clean, don't worry about forcing it.

With your style and lack of a forehand, I would suggest either a VIP Hatchet or a SP Sail for a turning driver. Hatchet if you like gummy plastic, Sail if you like firm.

Drop the TeeRex....its beyond your arm speed.

Get a driving putter. With you having an Avair in your bag, go with either an Ion or a Wizard. The Ion will have better glide but many(including myself) have trouble gripping the rounded inner rim.

Cheers
I've never tried gummy plastic, I wonder if I can find it in my local shop.

It's funny you mentioned the Ion, that was one of my favorite putters and I've never gripped the rim of a putter such as on a drive but I can see how it would be awkward. The fan grip for that specific putter works for me to about 220'. I've heard a lot of good things about wizards though, I might try one of those out.

The Aviar honestly isn't my favorite disc, I haven't been able to nail it down, driving or putting. I keep wanting to believe it will fade out but it rarely does and holds its line until it grounds out.

Thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-25-2018, 02:50 PM
broomerang broomerang is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: OH
Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,094
Niced 703 Times in 287 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geer_Boggles View Post
Right now I have in my bag:

- Neuron Wave (set aside for now, it's masking any form problems with it's high speed)
- Champion Wraith (same as Wave, will mask even more because its much more OS)
- Star Teerex (uh, this disc is not the greatest for anyone, way too OS for you right now)
- Z-line Surge (Discraft version of the Wraith I believe. Set aside.)
- Echo-Star Leopard (keep in bag, use this as your main "driver")
- Champion Panther (nothing wrong with this, pick the mid one you like the hand feel of the most)
- DX Roc (nothing wrong with this, pick the mid one you like the hand feel of the most)
- Star Mako3 (nothing wrong with this, pick the mid one you like the hand feel of the most)
- DX Aviar (putters are so unique for each person. Its a good putter if you like the hand feel. Putting is more about the archer than the arrow though. If you are going to buy a new putter go find a place that you can try out many different molds for at least 30 mins.)
- Pro Dart (It's basically a mid. Nothing wrong with it but you can cover more shots with the Roc.)
Personally I would just carry the Leopard, Roc, and Aviar for 2-3 months. When you have time to test some different putters you can replace the Aviar with something that feels better to you (if you want).

After you feel like you have control over the leopard and the Roc I would probably add an S-Line FD (Discmania) and either a new DX roc (if your liking it) or a KC Pro roc (if you want something that starts more OS that will take longer to beat in than the DX).

If you don't like the Roc at all, try a buzzz, or an MD (Discmania)

Reply With Quote
 

  #20  
Old 10-25-2018, 03:01 PM
Geer_Boggles Geer_Boggles is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Southern Maine, US
Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 93
Niced 30 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
Based on your list, I'm not sure I'd say you need any more discs, especially if money is an issue. I'd take the Roc and Leopard and practice your FH until you've got it down. The rest of your shots should be able to be covered pretty easily with more practice and some mastery of release angles.
That's my thing though, I don't want to keep all these molds in the bag. I mean many of them fit a purpose but I'm not happy with the majority of them. I'm more or less looking to take some excess molds out and stay with certain molds that work for me.

Also, I've tried FH periodically for years and I've watched videos on it but it just never felt right to me. I'd like to try and focus on backhand turnover shots since I'm much more comfortable there and able to control those shots more.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new zuca models coming soon BryanBowman Bags / Carts / Straps / Tags 19 07-13-2018 11:27 AM
Would You Invest In Disc Golf? jjtwinnova General Disc Golf Chat 47 02-11-2017 11:51 AM
Prodigy D & F Models $16-$17 shipped *NEW* BIGSEXY MARTINEZ The Marketplace 7 12-28-2013 09:07 AM
Would you be willing to invest? Sadjo Disc Golf Courses 15 04-08-2012 05:07 PM
New Star Models? mcdavis17 Discs 13 01-11-2009 12:43 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.