Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default Noob bag & disc questions :)

Hello everyone! Greetings from Sweden.

Vitals:
Years playing: played for fun 8 years ago, took a break and came back last summer
Right-handed, RHBH
Golf distance: too much noob to hit the same spot twice
Wanted to "restart" my game and learn from scratch so am now looking to build a new bag.

Bag:
P&A:
Innova DX Aviar
Millennium Omega SS

Mid:
Innova DX Roc

FD:
Innova DX Teebird

On the shelf:
Millennium Aurora MS
Millennium Polaris LS
Millennium JLS
Millennium EXP1

And now my possibly stupid questions:

I loved the EXP1, but it seems they don't make it anymore. After googling i find the EXP1 had a mold very similar to the Banshee but the flightchart of the EXP1 is more similar to the Firebird. Does anyone know which one would be the best replacement?
I used the EXP1 for distance drives/tomahawks/forehands/rollers/any tricky shot in the forest. Basicly whenever I felt "crap, how will I ever make this?"

I really like my new Teebird, but getting to know it took a couple of rounds hitting trees. Would it be a good idea to invest in a Star Teebird that can take more abuse? Or should I just keep chucking the DX until it dies and get a new one? I don't like the Champion plastic, feels like a plate with soap on it, is the Star plastic any better in this regard?

I'm also looking for a distance driver. A Star Destroyer (if plastic is not too slippery) seems like a good disc. I know this disc is not really a starter, but I kinda like to force myself to learn the disc rather than learn and then try to force the disc (if that makes any sense). My friends use Sorceries and i can currently (sometimes) outdrive them by about 10-25 feet with my Teebird.
I like carrying as few discs as possible (feels stupid to bring 10 when I some days can't get past the first tree ), do you think a 167g Star Destroyer could take the EXP1 spot?

I guess that's it for now, saving my mid-range problems for later (Omega/Teebird solves most approaches).
Thanks in advance for any tips, fun to finally be part of this great forum
Viktor/HPe
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2016, 12:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 13
Niced 95 Times in 49 Posts

Any reason you're carrying both of those putters? What does one do that the other doesn't? It's totally fine if they cover different roles for you, but Omegas are modcop Aviars, so they could be pretty similar. Other than that, I'd throw the EXP1 back in the bag and you have a heck of a set up (putter, stable mid, stable fairway, overstable utility).

I would definitely stay away from the Destroyer, or any DD for that matter, right off the bat. If you absolutely feel like you need a distance driver, look into something speed 9, that's neutral to Understable (Valkyrie, Sidewinder, Fury, Avenger SS, etc.)

Edit: Oh and a Star Teebird would be a fine addition for a Teebird that retains stability. But keep working with the DX Teebirds. Too.. Easy to control and crazy long once they're worked in.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 16
Niced 155 Times in 107 Posts

Gstar is the closest to a dx teebird you'll get out of the box. They are beautiful and fly almost as far as dx.

For a period of time I threw dx teebirds in my distance slot on wide open tee shots. They will go over 400' for me and I can't throw my distance drivers much farther than that.

I think a speed 12 is a little much if you are working from the ground up like you say you want to do. I would cap it at a speed 9 valkyrie or sidewinder (or Qols if you like millennium) and call it a day depending on how far you are throwing. They bomb and they're slower.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:47 AM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 168
Niced 2,366 Times in 1,105 Posts

I gotta echo the two above on the avoiding the fast stuff for now. If I was hitting the reset button like you're doing I'd do: Aviar (or whatever conventional putter), KC Pro Roc and DX Rancho Rocs for mids, DX Firebird(s), Eagle-X(s) and maybe Leopard.

Now you're a Teebird fan so that will substitute for the Eagle fairly well (so people tell me ) but I'd probably cycle towards a fresh DX FB, a worn DX FB and a fresh DX TB and worn DX TB. I'd keep them heavy plus maybe a ~165g TB and/or FB kept fresh for max distance. DX TBs, Eagles and seasoned FBs bomb pretty well.

I actually like Banshees more than FBs but FBs are a lot easier to come by and probably OS more consistently.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:41 AM
Bogey Member

Thanks for the answers

The reason for 2 putters is that I use the Aviar for straight putts from about 15 feet and in and the Omega for putts/approaches at about 30-40. The Omega is great for throwing on just feeling, putting it on a bit of a hyzer (if that's when you force it to fade left) and going for the chains. If I miss it usually stops close to the basket. I also believe I feel a difference between the Aviars 175g and the Omegas 167g. The Aviar is much easier to throw straight from at close.

Also use the Omega(& Teebird) for some mid shots as I can't seem to find a mid I like gripping. The Aurora (180g) is like a tank that flies straight as an arrow and the Roc (171g) has a nice fade to it, but the grips just don't feel comfortable enough for me to concentrate on the shot.

At my home course people seem to loose discs all the time, which makes me scared of using my EXP1 on alot of holes. Lately I also seem to make it turn over (hope that's the right expression) and go into the woods on the right side, i don't get that fade I liked. Sure it's beaten in a bit, but the turnover is mostly present when driving with power. Here aswell I find a difference between the 167g EXP and the 171g Teebird, there is more potential for "airtime" with the EXP while the Teebird just hurries along to it's destination (might just be in my head ). Most sites seem to put the EXP1 at a speed of 9, but I have seen anything from 7 to 10.
Maybe i should wait on the DDs, but my idea was to use a light(167g) Destroyer to make up for what I'm missing in power and get a nice fade to about 300-320.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:44 AM
Bogey Member

Also the EXP1 isn't orange, which is my theme for the new bag
Old 03-05-2016, 05:53 AM
Bogey Member

my friends both use westside Sorcery (speed 13) to their advantage on some holes. Since my form (while still being bad) is equal-better than theirs I figuered maybe I could learn som neat shots with a DD.

Sorry for all the posts, time had expired to edit the old ones
Old 03-05-2016, 11:21 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 19
Niced 10 Times in 3 Posts

Predator or Firebird would be good for your OS fairway slot, and could replace the EXP1...I bag both and find the Predator overall more workable while the Firebird is total beef.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:25 AM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 168
Niced 2,366 Times in 1,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPe View Post
Maybe i should wait on the DDs, but my idea was to use a light(167g) Destroyer to make up for what I'm missing in power and get a nice fade to about 300-320.
By all means dabble in the dark arts of the distance drivers but I think what we're all suggesting is that might be prudent to take some baby steps before you ramp it all the way up to Destroyer speed. Even the stuff that's too fast for you can be useful on the course for lower lines or skips and stuff.

There are PD's, Saints, Orcs, Wraiths, Swords, etc that are super long for their rim width that you might enjoy more than the Destro. Just food for thought.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 282
Niced 217 Times in 118 Posts

Stick with Speed 7 and lower until your form is better. Then start adding in the wider rimmed stuff. Depending on the course stick with just a few midranges and putters. You'll thank me later.