Old 03-03-2019, 08:06 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.9
Courses Played: 140
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 450 Times in 203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Not offering women's divisions is not the same as "keeping women out". I'm not saying I agree with the choice to not offer women's divisions, but women are perfectly at liberty to sign up for any division that they qualify for by age or rating. The PDGA makes a point of saying that the "M" in MPO or MA1 or MA60 stands for "mixed" not "men" or "male".
Could not agree more. In my opinion, folks in these smaller, protected divisions advocate for equality. But, don't really want to be treated the same as everyone else...

If all players were judged simply by their player rating, the 'best' players in most protected divisions would only reach an amateur ranking.
*PDGA standard:
FPO Pro Women-only: 900+ rating.
MA2 Intermediate: <935 rating
MA3 Recreational: <900 rating
By PDGA standards, Paige P is (currently) the only woman that would be required to play Open (970+) if all divisions were evaluated equally.

Theses comments are only meant for context, not to be misogynistic or ageist.

Offering fewer divisions makes the TD's life easier. I understand everyone wants to win, but we can't (always) create divisions to protect people just because they want to win. The local S.O.P. is to offer any division that can fill a card (3 or more) - which, IMO is reasonable.

If we have (2) MA50s register and (2) MA60s register for a non-sanctioned event, I would pull the 4 of them together and notify them that we're combining divisions. The same logic applies to women's divisions. It's not personal, sexist, ageist, or prejudice. It is efficient and it is common sense. I am all for equality, until it defies logic...

IMO protected divisions are a great way to introduce more people to the game. I'm glad we foster an environment of inclusion and look to involve more people in the sport. I am excited to see the (historically) smaller Women's and Junior's divisions evolve as this sport gains traction among those audiences. This really is a sport for everyone, and we are on our way to an even more inclusive environment.

The squeaky wheels certainly gets the grease. But, let's be reasonable when it comes to the amount of grease needed and the amount of squeaking that is really necessary...
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 03-03-2019, 09:08 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 328
Niced 270 Times in 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Tuna View Post
Could not agree more. In my opinion, folks in these smaller, protected divisions advocate for equality. But, don't really want to be treated the same as everyone else...

If all players were judged simply by their player rating, the 'best' players in most protected divisions would only reach an amateur ranking.
*PDGA standard:
By PDGA standards, Paige P is (currently) the only woman that would be required to play Open (970+) if all divisions were evaluated equally.
Here's the totally ignorant, innocent question. For smaller towns, places that don't have multiple tournaments, why not simply opening the tourney to the first 72, 90, 108, etc. people who register? You simply sign up, and enter your division.

Races (5K, 10K, half marathon, marathon) are open to everyone. You simply list your division and run. Your local 10K may have 1,000 runners in the M20-29 division and 2 in the F70+. Race happens regardless of how many people are in a certain division.

Isn't that a simpler solution than forcing a TD try and pre-determine the number of slots he needs to set aside for a certain division. Again, that may not work in bigger locales that have tourneys all the time. But in a place that has 1 or 2 events a year, why overcomplicate things?
Old 03-03-2019, 09:23 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 280 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Tuna View Post

*PDGA standard:

Theses comments are only meant for context, not to be misogynistic or ageist.

Offering fewer divisions makes the TD's life easier. I understand everyone wants to win, but we can't (always) create divisions to protect people just because they want to win. The local S.O.P. is to offer any division that can fill a card (3 or more) - which, IMO is reasonable.

If we have (2) MA50s register and (2) MA60s register for a non-sanctioned event, I would pull the 4 of them together and notify them that we're combining divisions. The same logic applies to women's divisions. It's not personal, sexist, ageist, or prejudice. It is efficient and it is common sense. I am all for equality, until it defies logic...

IMO protected divisions are a great way to introduce more people to the game. I'm glad we foster an environment of inclusion and look to involve more people in the sport. I am excited to see the (historically) smaller Women's and Junior's divisions evolve as this sport gains traction among those audiences. This really is a sport for everyone, and we are on our way to an even more inclusive environment.

The squeaky wheels certainly gets the grease. But, let's be reasonable when it comes to the amount of grease needed and the amount of squeaking that is really necessary...
Are you suggesting we only have one division called MPO then? It seems like your comments lean in that direction.

That would be bad for the game and would exclude most players. People don't necessarily want to win, I believe most people simply want to compete with players at their level. While winning every tourney is not a reasonable expectation, neither is losing by a huge margin and contributing your money to the open players.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:46 AM

Niced 8 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
I did a little digging through the internets and discovered the real reason for Dollar’s display of bitterness. Turns out, Matt recently started indentifying as a woman and wanted the tournament at Etowah to be the first time he played FPO.
I’m new here, so fill me in: is this what this forum’s about? Starting mean spirited rumors about players who hold an opinion you disagree with? Good to know.

Niced: (3)
Old 03-03-2019, 10:06 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 280 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
I did a little digging through the internets and discovered the real reason for Dollar’s display of bitterness. Turns out, Matt recently started indentifying as a woman and wanted the tournament at Etowah to be the first time he played FPO.
I don't know you or Matt Dollar. This seems like a childish waste of a post though.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-03-2019, 11:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,128 Times in 1,206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyzflip10 View Post
I don't know you or Matt Dollar. This seems like a childish waste of a post though.
i dont know you but im going to judge your post judging other peoples posts

Old 03-03-2019, 11:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 5
Niced 825 Times in 575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyzflip10 View Post
Childish I suppose but good for a cheap laugh.. Funniest thing I saw this week.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,240 Times in 579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soaruman View Post
I’m new here, so fill me in: is this what this forum’s about? Starting mean spirited rumors about players who hold an opinion you disagree with? Good to know.

I'm not new here, but you should definitely judge the entire forum based on one person's dumb comment.

Have a good day.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:59 PM

Niced 8 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
I'm not new here, but you should definitely judge the entire forum based on one person's dumb comment.

Have a good day.
Interesting that the main thrust of your post seems to be criticism of my observations (this isn’t the first) rather than criticism of the dumb post. It’s an odd attempt to change my perception, if that was your intent.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:00 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 50
Niced 326 Times in 138 Posts

“Dollar”?? Do we need any more evidence that he’s completely corrupt and compromised by special interests? Matt Dollar. Wrong for disc golf, wrong for America. I’m Baked and I approve this message.