Old 03-14-2019, 04:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,633 Times in 1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
WHAT NATIONALLY TELEVISED TOURNAMENTS????
At that point, I could only think of the ADGT.

God bless him for the entertainment.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 03-14-2019, 04:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Tuna View Post
I'm not trying to be confrontational, but your post strikes me as unbelievably judgmental, negative, and I question whether you have anything but anecdotes to back up your claims. again, not trying to start an internet fight, I just hear a lot of negativity in your comments.

Carrying on...
Honestly, I do not think his idea is great, but it is already taking off. Look at the Las Vegas event - wide open, ball golf course... Not as entertaining (to me) as our traditional courses, but certainly provides a more professional look for our sport.

I think the article missed a lot. And, as usual, I agree with Three Putt on a lot of what he is saying. That said, there is a small cross section of disc golfers, like myself, that are also corporate stooges, I mean professionals....

It can be embarrassing to admit to being a disc golfer around the office because there are so many negative stereotypes about drugs and alcohol being associated with our sport. So, while I am not totally in favor of the ideas of this article, I can see a benefit to having a more legitimate public presentation of the sport I love so much.

Additionally, I don't think our sport will ever completely move away from free play in public parks. So, while Ingle may have a vision, it certainly will not change the current state of the sport anytime soon. So, everyone can put their pitchforks away for now...

Personally, I would pay to play a good course that is fun, challenging, and well maintained. Not necessarily wide open or manicured fairways, but there is something to be said about trimmed overgrowth, nice concrete tee pads, geographically representative tee signs, etc.
Yes, but what this guy's proposing goes way beyond disc golf on golf courses, better amenities, and pay-to-play. He's suggesting golf-course-style, exclusively disc golf courses, at the costs of millions of dollars, and that they'll be profitable.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:16 PM

Niced 8 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
It can be embarrassing to admit to being a disc golfer around the office because there are so many negative stereotypes about drugs and alcohol being associated with our sport. So, while I am not totally in favor of the ideas of this article, I can see a benefit to having a more legitimate public presentation of the sport I love so much.
Back in the day, my wife's summer job was running the beer cart at the local golf course. The guys she served make disc golfers look like lightweights. We're talking bloody marys with chasers and whiskey spiked Gatorade for breakfast. They just wear nicer clothes and pay a club fee, which somehow makes it more socially acceptable.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:49 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.6
Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 266 Times in 160 Posts

I've played golf with people so drunk, they couldn't drive the cart. No joke.

And I always played in the morning, so...
Old 03-14-2019, 05:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,599 Times in 1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
WHAT NATIONALLY TELEVISED TOURNAMENTS????
Actually, I found it. It's step 12: https://www.discolf.com/step-by-step-course-development
Old 03-14-2019, 05:16 PM

Courses Played: 92
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Dragan Field in Auburn.
You own that disc golf facility now, don't you?
Old 03-14-2019, 05:32 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.1
Courses Played: 136
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,803 Times in 1,008 Posts

Quote:
I kinda like the "negative stereotype" thing to a certain extent. The "disc golf guy" identity adds a bit of weird unknown to me with my co-workers, like they really don't know how to process it. I find it funny to watch them try to process it. But I'm not a lawyer or fighting up the corporate ladder or anything where that bit of weird unknown might be detrimental. That would be different; I can afford to be a little weird and not worry about it.

Back in the day I would have loved a private course in St. Louis where I could pay to play, concentrate on my game and avoid the buzzkill guys I didn't like running into. There were days at White Birch and JB where I just looked around at the other players and wondered how the Hell I ended up there.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:22 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 360
Niced 738 Times in 259 Posts

Quote:
I'm not trying to be confrontational, but your post strikes me as unbelievably judgmental, negative, and I question whether you have anything but anecdotes to back up your claims. again, not trying to start an internet fight, I just hear a lot of negativity in your comments.
You hear what you want to hear, especially when you out of context someone's words in a manner that changes the tone of what they originally said.

You question whether I have anything but an anecdote to back that up? I relayed my observation of many people I've seen over the years. If someone is spending money they don't have, buying things they're not sure they want, to belong with people they're not sure they like, my judgment of their actions is irrelevant. That doesn't mean their actions didn't happen, or don't have potential negative consequences to their well being.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:30 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 280 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
I kinda like the "negative stereotype" thing to a certain extent. The "disc golf guy" identity adds a bit of weird unknown to me with my co-workers, like they really don't know how to process it. I find it funny to watch them try to process it. But I'm not a lawyer or fighting up the corporate ladder or anything where that bit of weird unknown might be detrimental. That would be different; I can afford to be a little weird and not worry about it.

Back in the day I would have loved a private course in St. Louis where I could pay to play, concentrate on my game and avoid the buzzkill guys I didn't like running into. There were days at White Birch and JB where I just looked around at the other players and wondered how the Hell I ended up there.
I relate to this, and to some extent still have that issue you describe in second paragraph. I run into alot of 820 rated players who think they are ready for full sponsorship and the National Tour. (I have no issue at all playing with 820 rated players, just the jamokes who think they are a gift to disc golf because they jumped up 30 points from last season).

Last edited by Hyzflip10; 03-14-2019 at 06:33 PM.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:22 PM
* Ace Member *

After your CHAMPIONSHIP DISCOLF® COURSE is designed and built... we'll place it on the PROFESSIONAL DISCOLF® TOUR...
as our tournament production company presents your premier DISCOLF® course/facility... for all to see... on national television!

There is already a very well established television audience... on the edge of their seat... primed to watch DISCOLF®.
For decades, millions of fans have waited to see DISCOLF® on television... and the visibility will attract thousands of players to your site.

I wonder if that promise comes with a written guarantee?

The ADGT guys would have blushed if they'd made such a promise.