Old 12-01-2019, 07:35 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 855 Times in 716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdeforge View Post
If you didn’t do anything to modify your disc in an illegal way you’re good to go. Disc golf is the sort of sport where we have to expect people to be truthful as we are our own referees. If you say you bought it from a factory/store like this, that’s enough, and the onus would be on somebody else to prove otherwise.
Yeah and every time I play with said Innova shark if I play in PDGA events I feel somebody will call me out on that disc only convinced it has been tampered with even though the red is clearly a dark red like the mold got heated twice in the molding process, I would just state the mold was a mistake stamp of Star on a G-Star disc as I think the mold might be. No only my Jawbreaker Magnets would be under question as those have the added circle of the circle part of Stamp of the Pro D Magnet in Sharpie on them to the point the mold could be considered modified but I doubt that is truly modifying a mold. I would be more concerned about playing with the Jawbraker Magnets due to how beat up they are with gouges to be considered legal under the amount of wear on a disc rule.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2019, 08:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.1
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,928 Times in 1,620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Yeah and every time I play with said Innova shark if I play in PDGA events I feel somebody will call me out on that disc only convinced it has been tampered with even though the red is clearly a dark red like the mold got heated twice in the molding process, I would just state the mold was a mistake stamp of Star on a G-Star disc as I think the mold might be. No only my Jawbreaker Magnets would be under question as those have the added circle of the circle part of Stamp of the Pro D Magnet in Sharpie on them to the point the mold could be considered modified but I doubt that is truly modifying a mold. I would be more concerned about playing with the Jawbraker Magnets due to how beat up they are with gouges to be considered legal under the amount of wear on a disc rule.
Could you cite the rule to which you are referring in the bolded?

Niced: (1)
Old 12-02-2019, 08:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 213
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 306 Times in 181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
813.02 Illegal Device
Last updated: Saturday, March 3, 2018 - 09:47
A player must not use any device that directly assists in making a throw. Devices that reduce or control abrasion to the skin (such as gloves, tape, bandages, or gauze) and medical items (such as knee or ankle braces) are allowed. Placing an object as a directional aid is not allowed. An item such as a towel or a pad may be placed on the lie as long as it is not greater than one centimeter in thickness when compressed.
A device that is questioned by another player or an Official is illegal unless it is subsequently approved by the Director.
A player receives two penalty throws if observed at any time during a round to be using an illegal device. A player who repeatedly uses an illegal device may be subject to disqualification in accordance with Section 3.03 of the PDGA Competition Manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
Ok, so i found some humor in this, at least in my book (lol). If I tossed a rock, that was obstructing my stance, a few feet out in front of me, then you asked about it, I would then explain to you that that rock is now illegal. Your next shot, I would question you about the stripes/dots/collar on your shirt/shoes/jacket, and that by my questioning, your shirt/shoe/jacket is now illegal and you must stop using it, or be assessed penalties, and possible DQ for continuing to use it.

Asinine I tell you. Your book is obviously not the PDGA rule book.
Yet another reason not to play in tourneys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
I wholeheartedly agree, that was pretty asinine.
This thread has gone so far down the rabbit hole from where I started it, but what the heck! -- I'll continue.

This rule, imho, is actually one of the smartest ones written. It is worded in a way that deals with a truly illegal device or disc, while keeping the "Rules Nazi" and "that guy" from getting in the head and/or messing with a guy who actually knows the rules. It may be written in a way that seemingly doesn't make sense, but in practical application it is very sensible.

There are only two scenarios: a disc or a device is illegal --OR-- the disc or device IS NOT illegal. (I am adding in the nearly identical rule on discs to help make the explanation easier).

Yes, hiflyer, a guy could argue or "try to game" your device, your disc, your book, your shirt, or whatever as illegal. I've actually had it happen with a specific disc when the player on my card thought the disc had not yet been approved for tournaments because he thought something silly about "a certain number of discs to the public before a new release could be used." He argued my disc was illegal.

A player not knowing the rule or easily rattled might let that get into his head -- the threat of DQ or multiple 2-stroke penalties -- or the player might possibly stop using it based on "that guy. But knowing the rule, I said dude, I'll be happy to let you know each time I use this disc and we can bring it up with the TD afterwards for whatever actions he wants to take. You can keep track if you want to. Then we all move on and finish the round without it being talked about any more, me using the new disc when I wanted. After the round, the TD does look up the approved discs, finds mine OK, and that's it. I would say the same would be the true result if it were a "different" type of device -- your rock, shoe, book, range finder, etc. The rule is written such that I DON’T need to let it get in my head or stop using a device or a disc just because the opponent “says” it is illegal. I know the rule—I keep using my disc or device—I know there is no such penalty for anything once we go to the TD.

Smart, imho.

Old 12-02-2019, 11:15 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 182 Times in 95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
Yes, hiflyer, a guy could argue or "try to game" your device, your disc, your book, your shirt, or whatever as illegal. I've actually had it happen with a specific disc when the player on my card thought the disc had not yet been approved for tournaments because he thought something silly about "a certain number of discs to the public before a new release could be used." He argued my disc was illegal.
I'm guessing that player was incorrectly referring to this document that outlines the Disc approval process, which says:

Quote:
All discs permitted for use in a PDGA World Championship must have been formally approved and available in retail outlets at least 30 calendar days prior to the event.
I believe that is the most up-to-date version of this document, and am not aware of any other such restriction. My favorite way to respond to people like this is to say "OK, please show me in the rules where it says what you are asserting." Glad you knew the rules well enough to not let that affect you!