Old 12-02-2019, 11:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 356 Times in 227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Total scores are uploaded and are considered official when the TD indicates report is complete. If the TD later determines a player's score was typed incorrectly, the TD submits a correction and the player's round rating will be corrected if the rating had already been processed with the erroneous score. If a player or group's score was determined to have been incorrectly calculated on a hole after an event is completed, perhaps due to penalties not applied, their scores are not changed. All scores are considered official once the event is completed even if scoring errors are discovered later.
Okay, but I'm specifically talking about a math error where a player's total score for a particular round was calculated incorrectly. The scorecard was turned in and the tournament director's staff did not catch the error either, presumably because they did not add up individual scores to verify totals.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2019, 11:47 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.8
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,726 Times in 789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consult20 View Post
Okay, but I'm specifically talking about a math error where a player's total score for a particular round was calculated incorrectly. The scorecard was turned in and the tournament director's staff did not catch the error either, presumably because they did not add up individual scores to verify totals.
I answered your question in the last sentence of my post. If the error discovered during the event it can be corrected. After it's over, no correction can be made.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-02-2019, 11:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
I answered your question in the last sentence of my post. If the error discovered during the event it can be corrected. After it's over, no correction can be made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
808 Scoring
G. After the scorecard has been turned in, the total score as recorded is final, except for the following circumstances:
1. Penalty throws may be added or removed up until the Director declares the tournament over, or all awards have been distributed.
If the error is discovered several days after the tournament, and after reports have been submitted, I'd say it's too late for anything to be done.
Thanks to both of you, I appreciate the clarification. I have to say I'm surprised though, I would have thought as long as official ratings haven't been calculated that errors could be corrected.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,335 Times in 952 Posts

Quote:
All scores are considered official once the event is completed even if scoring errors are discovered later.
I was told by staff this year TD can update results up to the update. This was in regard to a player who erroneously received a 999 rather than their actual score. I don't see why that would not apply to any other scoring error as well though unless it is codified otherwise elsewhere...

Old 12-02-2019, 12:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.1
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,928 Times in 1,620 Posts

Quote:
Thanks to both of you, I appreciate the clarification. I have to say I'm surprised though, I would have thought as long as official ratings haven't been calculated that errors could be corrected.
The rules aren't really written with ratings in mind, nor should they be.

The line as to when the results are official and final has to be drawn somewhere, and it makes a lot more sense in a practical sense to draw it based on when awards and prizes have been distributed. An error corrected after that has happened would necessitate re-doing all of those awards, no?

It would be impractical to re-call all the payouts in the affected division(s) and re-distribute them according to the corrected scores. So it's rendered unnecessary by not correcting scores after prizes have been awarded.

Old 12-02-2019, 12:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.6
Courses Played: 72
Niced 290 Times in 157 Posts

If it's an error by the player missed by everyone until after the event, it is not changed. But I believe if it's a TD induced scribal error, it can be fixed.

Old 12-02-2019, 12:30 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.8
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,726 Times in 789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
I was told by staff this year TD can update results up to the update. This was in regard to a player who erroneously received a 999 rather than their actual score. I don't see why that would not apply to any other scoring error as well though unless it is codified otherwise elsewhere...
Yes, but there are two separate situations. If a score that became official once an event was completed, was discovered to be entered incorrectly in the Tournament Manager, it can be corrected up to the time of the update without needing to file an error correction. However, if a round score that's considered official, once the event is declared over, was discovered to have been calculated incorrectly in some way, that score cannot be corrected. (See Krupicka's succinct answer above this one.)

Old 12-02-2019, 12:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
The rules aren't really written with ratings in mind, nor should they be.

The line as to when the results are official and final has to be drawn somewhere, and it makes a lot more sense in a practical sense to draw it based on when awards and prizes have been distributed. An error corrected after that has happened would necessitate re-doing all of those awards, no?

It would be impractical to re-call all the payouts in the affected division(s) and re-distribute them according to the corrected scores. So it's rendered unnecessary by not correcting scores after prizes have been awarded.
No, I realize the payouts are done and over. It's more about just getting the scores, the finishing order, and ultimately the ratings calculation correct.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.7
Courses Played: 248
Niced 1,800 Times in 781 Posts

Quote:
No, I realize the payouts are done and over. It's more about just getting the scores, the finishing order, and ultimately the ratings calculation correct.
The scores and finishing order are complete, once the tournament is over. The ratings can be corrected if so desired, as described below.

I am not sure how or why errors would be discovered days later. Whatever process was used to discover the error, should have been employed on the day of the event.

Old 12-02-2019, 02:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.1
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,928 Times in 1,620 Posts

Quote:
I understand what you're saying, but if the focus is on getting scores and finishing order correct, how would payouts not factor into getting things correct? Are you saying that ratings are more important than prizes? Why?

Just picking a tournament at random, let's say that a week after the Delaware Challenge NT event, it was somehow discovered that Matt Bell mis-added his scorecard and he really shot a 62 in the final round, not a 61. Correcting his score and adding the penalty to it would give him a 64 final round score and a total of 193 for the weekend. That's good for a tie for second (w/Joel Freeman) instead of the win. Are you really good with correcting those scores in order to have "accurate" ratings, but not correcting the payouts because they're "done and over"? Matt would have roughly $1100 more than he deserved, Ricky would be short about $800, and Joel would lose out on about $300.

The ratings change on such a correction is probably a tiny fraction of a point for all players involved except Matt...his round rating drops probably 18-19 points which maybe changes his overall average by a point at most. Is that worth shorting two players, who incidentally weren't even on his card, that kind of money?

The rules at the moment close the books on the tournament once the payouts are distributed. I think that's a more than fair place to draw that line. There just isn't enough of a statistical reason to dig deep after that happens just so the ratings are "perfect".