Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,123 Times in 615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
For new players, here's the real real:

Glow doesn't really work well for playing night rounds. And, the charging slows you down. Get lights, but get the dimmest lights you can find. You'll need to use expensive tape to stick them on.
LED is far superior (with some Gorilla Tape clear patch and seal), but glow discs work for a lot of our glow weekly players. We run a glow weekly from October to March. Several glow disc, glow tape exclusive players who haven't lost a disc.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2019, 02:58 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 645 Times in 287 Posts

I run a weekly glow league. We use color changing LED strips in the top band of the baskets, and tape-on LEDs for anyone who doesn’t have glow gear- which work fine except unless you follow application instructions closely you can lose your light, or blind yourself inadvertently.

I prefer glow discs, so I’m building a glow bag- and not just the discs. I’m actually putting UV LED strips on the inside of a foil-reflective interior lunch box that is basically the same size as a small disc shoulder bag. Battery pack goes in the side pouch, and a single 50cm strip of UV “black light” LEDs goes down one corner, across the bottom and up the opposite corner. Inside the bag the discs are bombarded by UV light, and you don’t get blinded OR inconvenienced. Every time you pull them out they’re as bright as they can possibly be. It’s a work in progress but it always seemed like such an easy adaptation, I don’t know whY DD etc don’t already offer one.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-02-2019, 03:32 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 481 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
I run a weekly glow league. We use color changing LED strips in the top band of the baskets, and tape-on LEDs for anyone who doesn’t have glow gear- which work fine except unless you follow application instructions closely you can lose your light, or blind yourself inadvertently.

I prefer glow discs, so I’m building a glow bag- and not just the discs. I’m actually putting UV LED strips on the inside of a foil-reflective interior lunch box that is basically the same size as a small disc shoulder bag. Battery pack goes in the side pouch, and a single 50cm strip of UV “black light” LEDs goes down one corner, across the bottom and up the opposite corner. Inside the bag the discs are bombarded by UV light, and you don’t get blinded OR inconvenienced. Every time you pull them out they’re as bright as they can possibly be. It’s a work in progress but it always seemed like such an easy adaptation, I don’t know whY DD etc don’t already offer one.
That....is amazing.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:51 AM

Niced 24 Times in 12 Posts

if your glow isn’t good maybe try some kastaplast
(Photo credit: acerunners)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 92090181-7BAD-44C3-9ED2-7C7F5442C6B0.jpeg (85.1 KB, 32 views)

Old 07-03-2019, 07:14 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 84 Times in 48 Posts

There is a misconception that glow discs are universally more overstable. So a lot of guys throw them as a testament to their manliness.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-10-2019, 10:52 AM

Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Lightning discs seem to glow well
They are very affordable and make some good low and mid speed discs
I used them a lot in the late 90s
I rediscovered them in the last few years.
A friend used a lightning glow last Friday night during our round and it was easy to find
Old 12-10-2019, 12:42 PM

Niced 27 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWork View Post

I've been trying to find such a thing as a foil-reflective interior lunch box. Got any clues for good search terms or brands, or links?

The GlowBox looks like a slightly expensive ideal solution to this but I'm not sure they ship outside of the US.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:22 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 645 Times in 287 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugular View Post
I've been trying to find such a thing as a foil-reflective interior lunch box. Got any clues for good search terms or brands, or links?

The GlowBox looks like a slightly expensive ideal solution to this but I'm not sure they ship outside of the US.

I just eBay’d “insulated lunch tote” or something like that and scrolled through the options until I found what I was looking for.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-10-2019, 06:19 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 25
Niced 854 Times in 716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrington disc View Post
Lightning discs seem to glow well
They are very affordable and make some good low and mid speed discs
I used them a lot in the late 90s
I rediscovered them in the last few years.
A friend used a lightning glow last Friday night during our round and it was easy to find
I agree that with Lighting discs they do glow well but the #2 Driver does not float all that well despite being a floating disc the main reason I had said disc, mine only floated for 15 minutes before sinking, same for my brothers but 20 minutes due to his ending up in water on a calm day. I found the XL to fly like a new #2 Driver and not get as messed up due to the soft durability plastic found in most of the Lighting discs, unless you find the Prostyle plastic for a mold.

Old 12-10-2019, 06:23 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 25
Niced 854 Times in 716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugular View Post

Try the foil space blankets and cut -n- tape the parts into a soft cooler or some brand of disc golf bag/backpack made into a Glow box if you can't find the type of cooler with the foil inside.