Old 12-11-2019, 10:45 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.8
Courses Played: 692
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,719 Times in 787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consult20 View Post
Does the two meter rule need to be in effect in order to take free optional relief?
Yes. The "free" relief is intended to not double penalize the player who has already gotten a penalty stroke. Otherwise, the player gets a penalty if they wish to invoke the Optional Relief from a non-penalized position.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 12-11-2019, 11:08 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 146
Niced 374 Times in 174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consult20 View Post
Does the two meter rule need to be in effect in order to take free optional relief?
"...following a penalty taken for a disc above two meters." If you get penalized for being above two meters, you get non-penalty relief. If you don't get penalized, then relief comes with a penalty.

Old 12-12-2019, 09:23 AM
Independent Operator*

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 523
Niced 748 Times in 262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
I'll add that to the list. Are you thinking the rule would allow the player to place the mini anywhere within that 4 foot wide lane? Or would this be essentially an infinitely long tee pad?

IMO - I vote mini anywhere within that 4 foot wide lane! And a technical "Yes" to the second question.

Because: A player can throw from the left or right side of a clearly marked tee are, therefore a player should be able to take relief in a line straight back from the left or right side of the tee. As in: some straight line between those two lines. Which as written is an infinitely long line of play? Which means there is technically an infinitely long tee "area" (but not a tee "pad" by strict definition).

Just my two sense.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:41 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 182 Times in 95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discette View Post
A player can throw from the left or right side of a clearly marked tee area
Where is this stated in the rules?
Old 12-13-2019, 09:55 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 177 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdeforge View Post
I think discette simply means that a tee pad has width. You can throw from within a teepad nearer its left side. Or within a teepad nearer its right side.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Old 12-13-2019, 10:10 AM
Independent Operator*

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 523
Niced 748 Times in 262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discette View Post
...A player can throw from the left or right side of a clearly marked tee areA, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdeforge View Post

802.04 A & B

Quote:

A .Play begins on each hole with the player throwing from within the hole's teeing area. A teeing area, or tee, is the area bounded by the edges of a tee pad, if provided. Otherwise, it is the area extending three meters perpendicularly behind the designated tee line. The tee line is the line at the front of the teeing area, or the line between the outside edges of two tee markers.
B. When the disc is released, the player must have at least one supporting point within the teeing area, and all supporting points must be within the teeing area. A supporting point is any part of the player's body that is, at the time of release, in contact with the playing surface or any other object that provides support. The player is allowed to have a supporting point outside the teeing area before or after, but not at, the moment the disc is released.
A player who violates 802.04.B has committed a stance violation and receives one penalty throw.

If all the supporting points are on the tee, it doesn't matter if a player releases the drive from the center of the tee pad or on the right or left side of the tee pad or on the front or back of the tee. Not all teepads are rectangles! Some are octagons and circles.

So on a retee after a penalty, a player may want the optional relief "line of play" to go through the far right side of the 10 foot wide octagonal shaped teepad, not the center line.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:44 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 182 Times in 95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesethin View Post
I think discette simply means that a tee pad has width. You can throw from within a teepad nearer its left side. Or within a teepad nearer its right side.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Ahhhhhhhhh I see. misunderstanding on my part!
Old 12-13-2019, 10:57 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.6
Courses Played: 72
Niced 290 Times in 157 Posts

Too many people think you can tee from next to the tee box if they don't like the condition of the tee area (you can't), which is why it is easy to misunderstand what discette meant.

When I first read "left side of the tee" I first interpreted that as just left outside of the tee area not the left side within the tee area. "left side of the tee" can mean both. e.g. Arbys is on the right side of the road vs we drive on the right side of the road in the US. One is clearly on the road, the other is clearly not. Got to love the English language.

Old 12-13-2019, 11:42 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.8
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,719 Times in 787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krupicka View Post
Too many people think you can tee from next to the tee box if they don't like the condition of the tee area (you can't), which is why it is easy to misunderstand what discette meant.

When I first read "left side of the tee" I first interpreted that as just left outside of the tee area not the left side within the tee area. "left side of the tee" can mean both. e.g. Arbys is on the right side of the road vs we drive on the right side of the road in the US. One is clearly on the road, the other is clearly not. Got to love the English language.
Right... uh, I mean correct.

Old 12-13-2019, 11:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,320 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krupicka View Post

partially why i believe the simplest thing is simply to deny relief from tees/drop zones. "no" is fairly cut and dried...