Old 12-12-2019, 09:58 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 73
Niced 1,393 Times in 331 Posts

The best way to make a small fortune in disc golf is to begin with a large fortune.
Sponsored Links

Old 12-12-2019, 10:42 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.1
Courses Played: 136
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,751 Times in 983 Posts

The math just never worked out.

To sell it to the wife, it had to at least break even. So I had the initial amount I paid for the discs (got a wholesale deal from another shop to get around the brick and mortar thing) and to order more I had to sell a certain % of those discs before I could restock without going back to my wife and saying I needed to dump more cash into it. That took a bit and the people who would have been my "regular" base got used to me having nothing new. When I did restock, there were some discs that were still there from that initial period that just never sold. There was a pink S TD with the shouting monkey stamp that was just always there, and it became this symbol of "same old bunch of discs" that were in my van. I'd restock, people would look once, not buy anything and then make jokes about the pink TD. I realized at that point that I had to have a lot more start-up money to put in; I had to have enough inventory to shuffle so that the pink TD could stay back. I just didn't have the amount of money needed to do that. I actually needed the thing to make money now, and it wasn't going to do that.

I dumped the stock to basically break even. About a month after I stopped having discs in the van a guy comes up to me and goes "Do you still have that monkey disc?" It was in the van for like two 1/2 years and NOW he wants to buy it? Yeah, that's how it goes. I think if I had enough inventory to get it out of the van and out of sight, it would have sold.

The other issue at that low volume was molds. I only could afford to stock a few, and every week it was "Do you have any Ions? Do you have any Summits? Do you have any Rampages? Do you have any CE? Do you have any 11X TeeBirds?" I wasn't in a financial position to say "I'll try to order one for you" for stuff like Ions, all I could do was say "no." I said "no" a lot, which isn't a great business model. I had what I had, people either wanted to buy it or they didn't. Too many of them didn't. It just was never going to work the way I was doing it.

Niced: (3)
Old 12-12-2019, 10:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.7
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,889 Times in 608 Posts

Might be a good idea to try and carve out a niche in this niche sport. Way too many manufacturers, molds, plastics and weights to satisfy everyone. Figure out what's popular in your area and try to focus on that. In the meantime, hope you win the lottery so that you can sell discs for fun and not as a source of primary income.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:23 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 481 Times in 182 Posts

I think previous posters have hit the nail on the head. Unless there is a huge untapped market in your area for a brick and mortar type store or unless you’re ready and willing to spend what it takes to go up against the Infinite/OtB/MSt online machines you’re better off selling Buzzzs and Rocs out of the back of your van at the course on weekends. Or forget the discs entirely and sell weed and cheetos assuming it’s legal in your state.

Niced: (2)
Old 12-12-2019, 02:00 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.7
Courses Played: 367
Niced 1,749 Times in 859 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
I think previous posters have hit the nail on the head. Unless there is a huge untapped market in your area for a brick and mortar type store or unless you’re ready and willing to spend what it takes to go up against the Infinite/OtB/MSt online machines you’re better off selling Buzzzs and Rocs out of the back of your van at the course on weekends. Or forget the discs entirely and sell weed and cheetos assuming it’s legal in your state.
I think Cheetos are legal everywhere except Rhode Island.

Old 12-12-2019, 03:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,256 Times in 724 Posts

<tangent>
The best side hustle I have ever heard of was the girl scout that set up her cookie sale outside of one of California's medical marijuana dispensaries....

Pure genius.

</tangent>
Old 12-12-2019, 03:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 194
Niced 144 Times in 81 Posts

Innova gets a little picky about who they sell discs too. Most other manufacturers will sell to anybody with money. Probably wouldn’t be a good investment in the twin cities area imo
Old 12-12-2019, 05:14 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 7
Niced 114 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
I have friends that sell discs on facebook and they always say stuff like "man..I should start my own disc golf business!" Selling enough discs to buy beer is one thing, selling enough to live on is something completely different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
It was a lot of hassle to make $250.
Truth. I buy discs in lots on Ebay, keep the ones I want, and resell the rest individually. In a typical lot that I buy there will be a couple of discs I keep, a couple that I sell for a $5–$10 profit, and a few that I break even on. I've made about $200 net profit in 2019, plus the discs I've kept. It's a fun way to get discs and make a bit of extra money, but terrible as a source of income.

Niced: (2)
Old 12-12-2019, 05:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 928 Times in 410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bogey View Post
Truth. I buy discs in lots on Ebay, keep the ones I want, and resell the rest individually. In a typical lot that I buy there will be a couple of discs I keep, a couple that I sell for a $5–$10 profit, and a few that I break even on. I've made about $200 net profit in 2019, plus the discs I've kept. It's a fun way to get discs and make a bit of extra money, but terrible as a source of income.
That's interesting. If you were doing that full time, and selling more/keeping less, how much du you think you could earn per month?

I've dabbled in this, but always too lazy to actually sell all the discs I'm not going to collect or throw. So I'm a long way from turning a profit or even breaking even. (Although that was never my goal.) But I also have a heap of random discs in storage, with a pretty wide range of value.

Old 12-12-2019, 05:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,107 Times in 1,195 Posts

the continued increased price of shipping really cuts deep into profit