Old 02-16-2015, 06:21 PM

Courses Played: 41
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Don't call it a Reachback...

I've been thinking about this a lot lately and found this paragraph in one of your articles HUB:

"Next, I'm done calling it a reach-back. It's now a back-swing. Reaching back, bending at the waist and getting my weight too far over my back foot took some serious work to undo. So it's a back-swing and there's no REACHING."

I live in the Phoenix, AZ area where a 400 foot drive not uncommon at all and is almost mandatory to score well (ask Hammer for proof) and I really need to figure out how to hit it consistently. I appreciate all the articles in this forum and have reinforced a few key ideas recently such as the simple advice of "slow down" and "stay loose". Seems simple but so counter intuitive I have to remind myself constantly. I'm getting close to my goal of a consistent 400 golf shot but all too often it is 350 one day and 425 the next and I can't quite figure out what the difference is but my guess is the back swing is the biggest issue killing my timing.

I'm sure it has been discussed before in here but I couldn't find a good thread on it. Seems like a hugely important concept that is very misunderstood.

The best way I can explain my thoughts on it is that when I'm throwing well (400+ with decent accuracy), I'm not reaching back behind my left shoulder (RHBH). My arm is really at more of a 45 degree angle and the other 45 degrees to get me to the full 180 from my target comes from the shoulder and hip turn.

When my form gets sloppy, I reach back closer to 90 degrees and don't get the full shoulder and hip turn. My arm feels like it is wrapped tight to my body and often I have actually hit the back of my left shoulder while pulling the disc forward which not only hurts but causes a god awful throw.

I think this is what you call "rounding" but I may be confused on the subject which is why I'm asking for some clarification.

I don't have a video and I'm not looking for feedback on me specifically but more looking for a general discussion on the topic.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2015, 06:16 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 27
Niced 542 Times in 223 Posts

Rounding - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GaDG7aX5A8 (i've forgotten how to embed again...)

If I'm throwing poorly it is often because of exactly what you describe and to reset I will just concentrate on my arm being further out from the body (Barry Schultz was my original point of reference)

Sidewinders door frame drills are good for ridding the reachback element - instead of reaching back you are working around the disc. (the disc stays pretty stationary as your body folds and unfolds around it.

Quick picture to emphasise this part (Feldberg and McBeth both do a little forward pump before they fold around it so there is a bit of a backwards movement of the disc with them) -
Old 02-18-2015, 09:04 AM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 542
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 755 Times in 325 Posts

Yes. When I was first starting a full reachback/backswing, it took me a while to realize that I wasn't supposed to be going directly along the plane of my chest. It's all about keeping that direct pull line for me...and that's the hardest thing for me, consistency-wise.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.7
Courses Played: 248
Niced 1,800 Times in 781 Posts

Are you suggesting it be called a reach around?
Old 02-18-2015, 09:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.3
Courses Played: 384
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 113 Times in 60 Posts

Don't call it a Reachback...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
I've been thinking about this a lot lately and found this paragraph in one of your articles HUB:

"Next, I'm done calling it a reach-back. It's now a back-swing. Reaching back, bending at the waist and getting my weight too far over my back foot took some serious work to undo. So it's a back-swing and there's no REACHING."

....When my form gets sloppy, I reach back closer to 90 degrees and don't get the full shoulder and hip turn.......
And yet....there it is.

So if you add "around" to it instead...."aroundbacking".

Last edited by ohtobediscing; 02-18-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:28 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 62
Niced 101 Times in 70 Posts

It's the backswing. Furthest point of the backswing is the "top of the backswing".
Old 03-04-2015, 11:36 AM

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 47
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Are you suggesting it be called a reach around?

That image broke all the tables in my house, but thank you for the lil epiphany.

I just wanna go to a field and pretend the disc is an immovable object while I "backswing" and x-step around it.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:19 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.1
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 282 Times in 149 Posts

Don't call it a reach back....

Cuz I've been here for years...?
Old 03-04-2015, 11:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 29
Niced 38 Times in 18 Posts

How do you have negative time playing?

Old 03-04-2015, 11:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 194
Niced 144 Times in 81 Posts

Watch schusterick in his slo mo videos from the side view. He doesn't reach back...he actually just leaves the disc as his body moves forward. Sorry don't have time to post the video I'm talking about though