Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 02-15-2017, 09:38 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 37 Times in 35 Posts

The newer Prime I've picked up is stiffer and feels a little closer to BT.

I've put my origio King (very flat and stable for a king) into trees pretty hard a few times and it's been fine, but I don't think I've thrown anything but the Northman enough to change its flight. So far that is still hss and low fade. It's just picked up some glide.

Early prime that I have seemed a little softer, and Im not sure it will hold up as well, but I haven't needed to bag it yet.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2017, 10:42 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,270 Times in 1,669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
Si is it closer to Discraft's "D"? If so, I'll pass.

I was thinking of trying a Truth, Claymore and Judge for the rest of the winter, but if it doesn't hold up, screw it.
I saw a bunch of Prime Judges at Academy today. They're cheap; you might try just one Judge and see how it (and the Prime plastic) does...
Old 02-16-2017, 10:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 44
Niced 667 Times in 389 Posts

My experience is that the comparison to Discraft Pro D or Innova R Pro is pretty apt. My Prime discs have warped and gashed very quickly. I think Prime is fine for putters or for discs that start out very overstable. The feel and grip is really great, but the durability is not. I did some experimenting with Prime mids and drivers last fall. Every Prime disc I've bought has been board flat and has started out more overstable than its non-prime counterparts. This is why the Prime Verdicts are still in my bag; they started out overstable enough that they haven't lost it yet despite warping and gashing.

The Prime Truth and Evidence and Retro Fuse that I bought didn't fair so well. The Truth went from straight to flippy really fast so it lost its bag slot quickly. The Evidence and Fuse were a little weird. I love the GL Fuse because it will flip at high speed and then just hold whatever line it is on to the ground. The Retro Fuse was still flippy, but it always wanted to fade at the end of the flight; so did the Evidence. I think it was because of how flat they both were compared to GL or Fuzion. Anyway, they became even flippier with wear but still wanted to fade out at the end (so did the Truth for that matter). I like my mids to wear exactly the opposite way: I want to keep HSS and lose LSS like a DX Roc. The Prime Truth, Evidence, and Fuse definitely did not do this (and the wear was way quicker than DX too).

I also have a Prime Defender and it is slightly puddle topped. It's still extremely overstable despite damage. I can't really get much distance with it so I mainly use it for my (very poor) occasional forehands. Because it's so flat and shallow, it's pretty easy to throw forehand.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-16-2017, 10:32 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,678 Times in 737 Posts

Thank's for the detailed description.

I think I'll just stick with the DX/KC/R-Pro I know.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 288 Times in 184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougCrawford View Post
I've had mixed experiences with them. A fury I had took one tree hit and became unusably understable. The trespass I have started more overstable than my fuzion, and even after some dings and rim warping, is still more overstable.
My experience exactly. I got the Fury and a Claymore when it first came out, and they got flippy in a hurry.

More recently I've been throwing a Saint, Trespass, and Truth, and these seem much more durable than the first run of Retro/Prime. Could be that they started out more stable as well, but I could certainly see cycling these.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:01 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 14 Times in 4 Posts

I love my prime judges. I definitely wouldn't call the plastic particularly durable. I have a stack I use to practice putting in my backyard, that's all they're used for and they're all pretty scuffed just from banging chains. I love the feel and grip but I wouldn't use this plastic for anything other than putters. Being able to get a stack of x-out prime judges for 60$ is nothing to sneeze at either.