Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 02-19-2017, 11:58 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,672 Times in 734 Posts
Default Champion Eagle-X, Banshee, Firebird. Lighter weights?

These are three discs I have a lot of experience with, but only in 170gr+

How do these fly in 150gr, or 160gr champion, or Star plastic compared to max weight? Just looking for info on what's current off the shelf variety.

Why do I want to know? Recently I started to disc down in weight as an experiment and I have had some real interesting results and if there is no wind, playing wooded courses or throwing from a standstill in mud/snow, I find the lighter weights have some real advantage. I'm also getting older and planning for my future disc golf needs.

I already have quite a few lighter mids and drivers, but only one 160gr Teebird, but I prefer the Eagle to the Teebird.

Not looking for other companies discs, I plan on sticking with what I know.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Keller; 02-19-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:54 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 25 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
These are three discs I have a lot of experience with, but only in 170gr+

How do these fly in 150gr, or 160gr champion, or Star plastic compared to max weight? Just looking for info on what's current off the shelf variety.

Why do I want to know? Recently I started to disc down in weight as an experiment and I have had some real interesting results and if there is no wind, playing wooded courses or throwing from a standstill in mud/snow, I find the lighter weights have some real advantage. I'm also getting older and planning for my future disc golf needs.

I already have quite a few lighter mids and drivers, but only one 160gr Teebird, but I prefer the Eagle to the Teebird.

Not looking for other companies discs, I plan on sticking with what I know.
I have a 150g champion firebird it's a thing of beauty gets me 30+ extra feet over my max weight one. My heavy one with started tracking left not long after it leaves my hand but obviously better in heavy wind. I do find I get extra distance with the 150g some of it comes from the air bounces I get with it making it harder to range sometimes. I also have a 164g Whippet not the X mold that fly's just like the 150 FB.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:11 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 74
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,105 Times in 714 Posts

A little less predictable in the wind at lighter weights, but for lower power players they are a good call. I like a light Firebird but only if it's flat. The domey light ones are basically Eagles.

All of these are hard to find in premium plastic though.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:22 PM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 133
Niced 756 Times in 398 Posts

found some low weight eagles at DGV

https://discgolfvalues.com/store/ind...d&productId=40

decent price too

This thread made me interested in trying out a lower weight eagle... picked up a couple
Old 02-19-2017, 07:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.7
Niced 899 Times in 399 Posts

Keller-
I threw all 150g discs for 3 years. Putters, mids, fairways, and distance.
Eagle-X was my main fairway driver. It acts just like its heavier brother except the fade waits a little longer to kick in. My favs were the DX but I carried the Champs for a little extra stability. The cost for Champ's extra stability is about 15 feet in my experience. Some Champ EXs are near Firebird stability but most have the tiniest bit of turn when thrown with 350-400 feet of power.
Firebirds were my go-to OS driver. I only used Champs. Again, they act the same as there heavier brothers but they go a little further and the fade kicks in a little later. The nice thing about DX Firebirds is that they start to be viable all purpose fairway drivers because the overdtability isn't so harsh. If you beat up a FB then it starts acting like an EX. This happens a lot sooner in the lighter weights rather than the heavier weights. I had planned to do this at one point but I just switched back to a max weight bag this year before giving it a fair trial. Beat-up DX FBs go as far as EXs but they get distance because of their speed whereas the eagles get distance because of their glide. In theory you should be able to cover all of your stabilities by cycling DX Firebirds. Well, maybe the very overstable slot still needs to be a champ.
I Have a few DX Banshees but I honestly never gave them a fair shot. I bought FBs at the same time and I preferred the 'bird.
So. Long story short: assume they act the same as the heavies. The disc geometry molds up the same in lighter weights. I really love my 150g bag. Several pros and some cons. The biggest IMO is the vulnerability to wind.
I know you said you weren't looking for alternate suggestions but I gotta say that the 150g Milennium QOLF is fantastic.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-19-2017, 07:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,672 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
I know you said you weren't looking for alternate suggestions but I gotta say that the 150g Milennium QOLF is fantastic.
Now that is a disc I always wanted to try!

Thanks for all the input, it was very helpful.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.7
Niced 899 Times in 399 Posts

Happy to help!
I will unabashedly admit that I love all 150 class from the slowest putter to the fastest distance driver. But I would NOT recommend it to every single golfer. Making the switch to lighter weights solves problems for some but creates problems for others.

Keller, you sound like the perfect candidate. You already described some of the benefits that lighter discs provide. You also described some situations (wind) where it is not the best choice. So you sound like a level-headed dude. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

[RANT]
I believe 150 class gets a bad wrap. It is usually incorrectly perceived as a solution for beginners and lower powered players. Yes, they can work well for these candidates but can just as easily be a terrible choice for these candidates. Solely for the purpose of debunking the lower-powered player myth, I would like to point out two facts:
1. I used a 150 class bag for three years straight. I switched back to a max weight bag only 5 months ago.
2. I won the distance competition at the MVP two disc event yesterday. There were 14 other people I was up against. I had to use a 175g Anode putter and a 174g Volt fairway driver. There were distance markers showing every 50' on the throwing field so know that I threw the Anode putter 330' and it didn't even have a "full" flight. I didn't get any substantial turn on it, it just went mostly straight then had a tiny flare to the left. The measured throw was the first chance I had to throw the volt. I didn't realize how understable it was so when I added a little bit of anny it turned and burned. I "only" got 390' out of it before it found the earth. After the competition I found better flight paths and was rewarded with more than 450'. I'm definitely not the biggest arm out there but I'm no slouch.

conclusion: 150 class is a useful tool for some- but not all- situations. It is not only for beginners. [/RANT]

Last edited by Marmoset; 02-19-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:57 AM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 168
Niced 2,367 Times in 1,106 Posts

I 2nd everything Marmoset has said. Eagle Xs are very Eagle ish in about any plastic or weight, a big reason why they're a staple in my bag. Lighter ones just go a little farther before fading but I've had some surprisingly beefy SEXs too. DX FBs are awesome to cycle and they're good in most any weight like the EX too. Banshees I like to keep in the 170s BUT I like really beefy, flat Banshees for utility purposes. Lighter Banshees basically fly like less glidey Teebirds.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:22 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 590 Times in 313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
I 2nd everything Marmoset has said. Eagle Xs are very Eagle ish in about any plastic or weight, a big reason why they're a staple in my bag. Lighter ones just go a little farther before fading but I've had some surprisingly beefy SEXs too. DX FBs are awesome to cycle and they're good in most any weight like the EX too. Banshees I like to keep in the 170s BUT I like really beefy, flat Banshees for utility purposes. Lighter Banshees basically fly like less glidey Teebirds.
Watch out on the DX firebird, the used to be money but now they suck a duck. Not sure what happened but recent runs are horrible.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:08 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 10
Niced 50 Times in 29 Posts

Love a high 150's weight champ Firebird for overhand, still a pretty good supply of flat ones at that weight range. Usually go 5-7 grams heavier for the drivers I throw normal, but even with warm up it's nice to go lighter for my shoulder, especially one hole at a wooded course near me has such a tight uphill on one tee off that an uphill thumber is about the only shot I can get through the gap where it flattens out.