Old 01-04-2018, 03:45 PM
Par Member

Niced 17 Times in 12 Posts
Default Nose Down tips and tricks

I know I'm probably reviving some kind of old thread here, but I can't find many tips around, I've done some searching but am still a little lost and confused.

I've determinded I throw nose up, drivers getting max 360 average 350, with mids going 340 and fairways in between, not alot of variation. I've watched a couple videos and read some posts but can't find any real tips or tricks for keeping the nose down. Is it grip? wrist? hand placement? pull though? etc...

Any help would be amazing!
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2018, 07:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,008 Times in 1,834 Posts

I'd say most people that struggle with nose issues is often related to not getting all your weight/balance forward on the front leg which will change the swing plane and trajectory and probably need to adjust grip/alignment/orientation, so the trajectory is slightly upward with the nose down.

Getting stuck with your weight back on the rear leg often causes a downward swing plane(high reachback - low follow through) as the spine tips over and people adjust their grip/alignment nose up to compensate for their downward trajectory and to not throwing into the ground and worm burning.

Also on distance shots you need to get the disc to change direction coming out of the apex so it's new nose is down relative to the change in trajectory. So on RHBH your initial trajectory should be leftward of the target and as the disc comes through the apex of it's flight it almost stalls and falls into a rightward trajectory toward the target. So the nose of the disc is always relative to the direction of the disc or the change in the direction as it curves through the air. The nose is not always on the front edge of the disc between you and the target, it's actually rare for that to happen on any kind of distance shot. The nose is the front edge of the disc between you and the apex up to the apex or the left/front edge between you and the target, and then typically mirrored on coming out of the apex on the right/front edge between you and the target.

As for grip I'd recommend playing around with Bratten's 2 finger grip to help re-orientate the disc into a better nose down position in the hand. Working on a standstill and One Leg Drill should help with getting your weight forward.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/r...ttoripit.shtml
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/r...s/angles.shtml
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/r...ncelines.shtml

Old 01-04-2018, 07:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,597 Times in 1,648 Posts

Make sure the disc is aligned in the palm of your hand correctly when wrapping your fingers around the disc, so that it is nose down relative to your forearm. This is as in the first link SW22 posted above. If the disc angle relative to your forearm isn't slightly nose down, you're cooked before you've even tried to throw.

After that the various reasons for issues that SW22 has pointed out can happen. Most common is as he said...people don't get off the back leg correctly so the spine angle is funky during the throw and you have to do some weird things with your swing plane and grip orientation to not either sky the disc or throw it into the ground.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:20 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 2
Niced 457 Times in 331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbultman View Post
I know I'm probably reviving some kind of old thread here, but I can't find many tips around, I've done some searching but am still a little lost and confused.

I've determinded I throw nose up, drivers getting max 360 average 350, with mids going 340 and fairways in between, not alot of variation. I've watched a couple videos and read some posts but can't find any real tips or tricks for keeping the nose down. Is it grip? wrist? hand placement? pull though? etc...

Any help would be amazing!
Thanks
I was actually going to ask a similar question but with a larger distance difference. My drivers go 380 on average 400 max, and mids 300 on average, 320 max, with my fairways in between. I know my bottom half needs work but I knew that after I could throw nose down I could easily figure out what works to improve my lower half.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 725 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
I'd say most people that struggle with nose issues is often related to not getting all your weight/balance forward on the front leg which will change the swing plane and trajectory and probably need to adjust grip/alignment/orientation, so the trajectory is slightly upward with the nose down.

Getting stuck with your weight back on the rear leg often causes a downward swing plane(high reachback - low follow through) as the spine tips over and people adjust their grip/alignment nose up to compensate for their downward trajectory and to not throwing into the ground and worm burning.

Also on distance shots you need to get the disc to change direction coming out of the apex so it's new nose is down relative to the change in trajectory. So on RHBH your initial trajectory should be leftward of the target and as the disc comes through the apex of it's flight it almost stalls and falls into a rightward trajectory toward the target. So the nose of the disc is always relative to the direction of the disc or the change in the direction as it curves through the air. The nose is not always on the front edge of the disc between you and the target, it's actually rare for that to happen on any kind of distance shot. The nose is the front edge of the disc between you and the apex up to the apex or the left/front edge between you and the target, and then typically mirrored on coming out of the apex on the right/front edge between you and the target.

As for grip I'd recommend playing around with Bratten's 2 finger grip to help re-orientate the disc into a better nose down position in the hand. Working on a standstill and One Leg Drill should help with getting your weight forward.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/r...ttoripit.shtml
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/r...s/angles.shtml
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/r...ncelines.shtml

SW, thanks for the solid advice, just curious as to who this guy in this and it other videos I've seen you post is? Or what are his videos under in YouTube?
Old 01-05-2018, 12:23 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 15 Times in 10 Posts

There is a video out there that says there are 3 causes for nose up:

1. Gripping it nose up to the forearm
2. Reaching back too high
3. Not transferring weight to the front leg.

On video I've noticed myself doing all three at the same time.

My question is does wrist pronation/supination have anything to do with it? Or is the disc gone before that happens?
Old 01-05-2018, 01:36 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 160 Times in 112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippenripp View Post
SW, thanks for the solid advice, just curious as to who this guy in this and it other videos I've seen you post is? Or what are his videos under in YouTube?
SW is Seabas22 AKA the guy in the videos - search seabas22 on youtube
Old 01-05-2018, 05:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack504 View Post
SW is Seabas22 AKA the guy in the videos - search seabas22 on youtube
Thanks LJ, much obliged.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-06-2018, 04:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 76 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Make sure the disc is aligned in the palm of your hand correctly when wrapping your fingers around the disc, so that it is nose down relative to your forearm.
Omg i think i finally found what i am doing wrong Gotta try this tomorrow.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:28 PM
* Ace Member *

SW, so is the nose of the disc being down relative to the forearm just a fancy way of saying pronate the wrist? as always thanks.