Old 05-09-2011, 02:27 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 18.9
Courses Played: 202
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Boston DG Scene

I am moving up to Boston in about 3 1/2 months, allston/brighton area more specifically. I know pretty much nothing about the area and I know even less about the DG scene in the area.

I do know Marshall Street is in Worcester and plan on checking that out soon after moving but beyond that my knowledge is limited.

Anyone that has any info on the DG scene or anything else in this area would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2011, 02:44 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 196
Niced 10 Times in 6 Posts

I lived in Newton until about two years ago. Good news is there are some terrific courses. Bad news is none of them are that close (not a lot of open space in the Boston area).

Borderland is your closest course, and it's a great one. Probably 35-40 minutes, depending on traffic. It can get a little crowded on weekends. It's a very nice state park that plays around a mansion. Two tees and two baskets on every hole.

Maple Hill and Pyramids are an hour away (they're both on Marshall St. in Leicester) and great courses. Maple Hill has leagues (Tuesday evenings?), but I never got to participate. Pyramids seems to get busier than Maple Hill (probably because the water at Maple Hill makes it less newb-friendly). The guys who run each of them are great people, really invested in the disc golf scene.

Devens is around an hour away, and the elevation changes are thrilling. I know they've improved the course in the past two years, and it was a lot of fun back then.

The only other within an hour is Pye Brook up in Topsfield. Don't rush to play that course. It's okay, but nowhere near as good as the others.

Traffic is tricky on weekdays, especially on the 95 loop around the city (or 128, as the locals call it), so you need to time your trips. Weekend traffic is tolerable on the interstates...usually.

There are some other great courses about 90 minutes away I never got to play.

Wish I had more info on leagues and what not. Anyway, enjoy Boston. If you can tolerate the traffic and the accents, it's a fun place to live.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:24 PM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 87
Niced 41 Times in 28 Posts

You're not going to find much of a DG scene immediately within Boston. However New England as a whole has a very strong Disc Golf community. Check out www.nefa.com for information about local tournaments and leagues. In particular, check out the forums there.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:41 PM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 87
Niced 41 Times in 28 Posts

As for courses, start with Marshall Street in Leicester. Pyramids and Maple Hill are both great courses. Also check out Newton Hill not far away in Worcester. head a little farther south and check out Buffumville Dam.

To your north, Pye Brook is a great course. A lot of improvements have been done in the last couple years, it is definitely worth playing.

I've never played Borderland, but I've heard good things.

Devens is great, there's a very popular Wednesday league there. Check out Killer B Disc Golf, a new store that just opened next to the course.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Wizard of Plastic Land

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 92
Niced 9 Times in 7 Posts

If you're ever up in the southern NH area there are a ton of nice courses! You're about 1hr 10 minutes from Bellamy Park, a great free course in Dover NH. Just go up I95 North to Rt 16 North to Exit 8W. Take a right off the exit then your first left onto Bellamy St. where you'll see the course on the right! Let me know if you want a guide if you're in the area!
Old 05-10-2011, 01:20 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 7
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Everyone pretty much said everything to say so far.

Burlington MA also has Simmonds Park, a 9 hole course with both "A" and "B" tees making 18 possible.

Boston's going to be tough to run out and get a round in, but if you like to go and spend a day and play 3 courses you can hit a lot of great ones, many tightly knit together. Central MA (especially), South NH, CT rack up quite a few courses, some great, some adequate, with more being built every year.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:58 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 18.9
Courses Played: 202
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHINESEL View Post
Everyone pretty much said everything to say so far.

Burlington MA also has Simmonds Park, a 9 hole course with both "A" and "B" tees making 18 possible.

Boston's going to be tough to run out and get a round in, but if you like to go and spend a day and play 3 courses you can hit a lot of great ones, many tightly knit together. Central MA (especially), South NH, CT rack up quite a few courses, some great, some adequate, with more being built every year.

Yeah I figured its going to be tough to get out to courses during the week so I am hoping to find a park in the city with enough room to throw and practice putting and then make it out on the weekends to either just hit up a few courses or play in a tournament.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:10 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 61
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

The mass courses listed so far are great ones to play, but dont limit your self to the south end of nh. Both nh and vt have some killer courses.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:11 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good luck dealing with all those M*******s!

Old 05-10-2011, 08:12 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

^ Why was M a s s h o l e s filtered???