Old 06-24-2011, 06:54 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

i started roc... went to comet but had problems in the wind... now i throw a buzz and keep a wasp for headwind....
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2011, 07:45 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 178
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigles View Post
I wonder how you hyzer flip a buzzz. It must be beat in as hell or you must be the oat monster.
i sidearm flick overstables like my FB or monster for mid fairway upshots to the right for controlled and reliable results but i could also backhand my rpro cro, as stated, my roc or buzzz for the same matter. i dont even know what OAT means but my buzzz has a distinct purpose of straight/ flat tee/fairway throws up to 250-300. upshots are my strong point.. short game kills.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:47 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 23
Niced 9 Times in 4 Posts

I carry Comet, Buzzz, Wasp, and Gator for my fareway mids. They all have a unique quality that suits differnt sitiuations. I also carry a 177 Glow Stalker for longer mid range shots and a Squall for my "Oh sh!t what am I gonna throw here?" type shot and for shorter hyzer skips.

Point being, try them all and carry what works for you.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:14 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 2 Times in 1 Post

Read through the last four pages, and I'd like to offer my take ...

I adhere to the following: Gateway putters, Discraft mid-range, Innova drivers. That said, I've found that a combination of Z buzzzes (1 worn, 1 new-ish, 1 brand new) can cover most any "mid-range" shot off the tee that requires a consistent finish.

I've found (for me) that the best understable mid-range is an ESP Meteor. The plastic is grippy and consistent, and they start out neutral, and with nominal usage begin to beat in and turn over. But the turn is very consistent unlike a beat pro D buzzz where you have no idea when the flip will occur. The best part about the Meteor is that it feels like a Buzzz in your hand, with just some minor variations.

I own a few comets, and honestly haven't given them the practice they deserve, but I think a Buzzz/Meteor combo will get just about any shot done. And if the wind is up, including a Wasp or Hornet would make sense.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:17 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 8
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

It may have been mentioned already, or you may have conjectured it yourself, but the Buzzz is more likely to skip on harder ground than the Comet due to the speed. Another possible reason to carry both.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:01 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 437
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscGolfer947 View Post
I'm looking for a relatively stable mid-range disc ad I've come down to these two. Can I get a little help on my decision?
If you are looking for "relatively stable" the answer is the Buzzz. If your looking for dead straight lines with little fade, you want a Comet, if thrown properly. The Buzzz can do that as well but requires more power. But you should really try both. They are both solid discs.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:04 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 32
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I carry both, but throw my Buzzzs more often.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:37 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I just put in a disc order which should arrive on monday. I already carry a Z Buzzz, Z Wasp, and ESP Meteor. I've been curious about the comet for such a long time so I included one in my order. After I've given it a test drive, I'll report my experiences here.

As previous posters have mentioned, the Wasp is great for the wind and for throwing long straight shots. If flexed slightly, they will fly a straight line with hardly any fade but they require a bit more speed to achieve the same distance than a buzzz.

As another astute player posted, you can throw all these middies straight and choose which predictable attribute you want for erring on the side of caution. We have a wooded course nearby that give you fairways along the top of a ridgeline with a steep drop off to one side or the other. So I know I'm pulling out a mid but the finer points of the disc are what makes or breaks shot. If the dropoff is along the Left side, I don't want to fade out that way so I'll grab my meteor and release it straight down the left side of the fairway with some hyzer and watch it flip up and just a tad to the anyhyzer. Then it will usually hold that line drawing right about 8-15 feet. Keep it low enough and if it comes out and does an S curve, it will land in the fairway. If it holds the line, It usually lands on the right side of the fairway. The point is I don't have to worry about it fading down the side of the hill.

If the drop off is on the right, I'll use my wasp or buzzz and throw a laser beam down the right center of the fairway. Any fade will take me away from danger. The Buzzz I use more like a fairway driver and for putting through windows in the branches of a protected basket. If I have an open hole with a wooded backdrop, I'll huck my Buzzz if I overshoot, I usually get stopped favorably and have a chance. My Buzzz however has been starting to act a hint understable and will hold some nice mild anny lines like people are describing for the comet. I can't hyzer flip my buzzz though and forget about flexing it. It never comes out of anny unless it's barely creeping right and you've got enough distance and height for the disc to slow down. Then it'll do a subtle S-curve but I think it's just that my disc is beat in. (Had it about a year and used it a lot in rounds and practice.)

DH

Niced: (1)
Old 12-12-2019, 11:07 PM

Niced 5 Times in 4 Posts

I don't understand the buzz,I found a brand new EsP today I throw a roc 3 I thought ,O this to be nice....but I just hated the way it felt...I hated the way throw so I put on a picnic table for somebody else ..not sure why..big bead...lame throws..I throw an aviar farther and dead straight...300

Old 12-12-2019, 11:19 PM

Courses Played: 22
Niced 12 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogden View Post
I don't understand the buzz,I found a brand new EsP today I throw a roc 3 I thought ,O this to be nice....but I just hated the way it felt...I hated the way throw so I put on a picnic table for somebody else ..not sure why..big bead...lame throws..I throw an aviar farther and dead straight...300
Are you sure it was a buzz? They don’t have beads.
I always feel like I have to buy mine in store since I like flatter shaped esp buzzes as opposed to those with some dome.
There were rocs everywhere when I first started throwing, but they never felt right in the hand. Different strokes for different folks. Throw what you know.