Old 06-11-2012, 09:50 AM

Courses Played: 5
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Help out a Noob

So I started playing this year and am getting the itch to play more and more. I have a few questions and was looking to get some advice on why my throws are performing the way they are, and why I am having trouble with certain discs. Any help/criticism is appreciated!

My first disc was a gift and is a Star Wraith. I can't throw this disc for the life of me. I have a habit of already throwing hyzer, and this disc just takes off to the left and keeps going (and going and going and going). Even when I try throwing it anhyzer - just goes far left. Any tips?

Also - I bought a Champion Sidewinder. This is my favorite disc and works well for me. I can throw this nice and easy for 300'. (When I muscle it, it doesn't work at all). Even though the turn on this is -3, and the fade is 1 - it still fades more than it turns for me.

Lastly, I've been messing around with a DX Leopard. Neat disc, but not sure I am using it correctly. I can throw this exaggerated hyzer, and it will flatten almost immediately - and then take off right. Is this expected?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2012, 10:07 AM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 87
Niced 41 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy_gravy View Post
So I started playing this year and am getting the itch to play more and more. I have a few questions and was looking to get some advice on why my throws are performing the way they are, and why I am having trouble with certain discs. Any help/criticism is appreciated!
First, welcome to the obsession!

Quote:
My first disc was a gift and is a Star Wraith. I can't throw this disc for the life of me. I have a habit of already throwing hyzer, and this disc just takes off to the left and keeps going (and going and going and going). Even when I try throwing it anhyzer - just goes far left. Any tips?
It sounds like you just don't have the power for this disc yet. Is it still fairly new? After you get a few good tree hits and beat it up a bit, it will become easier to throw.

Quote:
Also - I bought a Champion Sidewinder. This is my favorite disc and works well for me. I can throw this nice and easy for 300'. (When I muscle it, it doesn't work at all). Even though the turn on this is -3, and the fade is 1 - it still fades more than it turns for me.
Like with the Wraith, it sounds like you're just not getting this one up to speed. Keep working with it though, it's a good disc to learn with.

Quote:
Lastly, I've been messing around with a DX Leopard. Neat disc, but not sure I am using it correctly. I can throw this exaggerated hyzer, and it will flatten almost immediately - and then take off right. Is this expected?
Yeah, that sounds right. Especially in DX plastic, it will beat up really quickly and become pretty understable.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:13 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

A lot of people on this site will say put the high speed stuff down and work on your form and snap ... I am one of those lol buy a buzzz,roc,core,or warship one of those and work on shaping lines and pushing it out around 300 or a little more on a consistant basis and then come back to your higher speed discs you will score better lose less discs and in turn have more fun good luck and throw hard

Old 06-11-2012, 03:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 46.5
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 81 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan_84 View Post
A lot of people on this site will say put the high speed stuff down and work on your form and snap ... I am one of those lol buy a buzzz,roc,core,or warship one of those and work on shaping lines and pushing it out around 300 or a little more on a consistant basis and then come back to your higher speed discs you will score better lose less discs and in turn have more fun good luck and throw hard

Listen to Stan. He has wisdom beyond his experience. (Wish I did.)
Old 06-11-2012, 06:06 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 48
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthunderchicken View Post
Listen to Stan. He has wisdom beyond his experience. (Wish I did.)
its always nice when you rip a 300 ft drive right up the gut with a ti buzz and you buddy is 15 ft behind you with a warp speed driver
Old 06-11-2012, 07:40 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 19
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan_84 View Post

I concur.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:42 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.8
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderous Monkey View Post
I concur.
I concur as well. I've only been playing about a month and a half, following the philosophy to start with putters and mids, throwing mostly DX Rocs and Aviars. I can get my Aviars out to 200+ and the Rocs to about 250ft. I figure I'm just now about to the point where I can pick up a Leopard and start learning it.

I can pick up my Beast and get it to about 275-300, but I don't think I'm doing myself any favors by using it on the course. I don't think I've got my technique down yet and going big will only reinforce bad habits. Slow and steady wins the race!
Old 06-11-2012, 11:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.5
Courses Played: 117
Niced 35 Times in 22 Posts

Get a warship and work on hitting lines. The leopard will be your first step up once you have that ship sailing like you want.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:30 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 1
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

You guys are really killing me, why does this persist.

What you learn from getting your putters to fly 300' is that you now know how to throw a putter 300'.

Putters and Mids are great for driving with, but if you use them for long distance they require a release angle and a height that you won't be using on a driver. If you used the same throwing technique that you use to throw a putter 300' and then use that on your Sidewinder, it would like you shot a BOAT FLARE.

You are doing fine, keep using the driver, watch the nose angle, don't try and anny discs out there to get them to work. You are already starting to get a hang of what speed ratings mean, you should be able to see what disc might be next on your list.

Practice driving with your putter, understand what it does, do the same with your mids. Anytime you can drive with them without dropping a nut, do it, they are more accurate. Just don't pretend you can use a driver because you are good with your slower, blunt wing discs. If you wanta be good with a driver, learn to throw a driver, and don't bite off more disc than your arm can throw. PEACE!

Old 06-12-2012, 03:28 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 15
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dookville View Post
You guys are really killing me, why does this persist.

What you learn from getting your putters to fly 300' is that you now know how to throw a putter 300'.

Putters and Mids are great for driving with, but if you use them for long distance they require a release angle and a height that you won't be using on a driver. If you used the same throwing technique that you use to throw a putter 300' and then use that on your Sidewinder, it would like you shot a BOAT FLARE.

You are doing fine, keep using the driver, watch the nose angle, don't try and anny discs out there to get them to work. You are already starting to get a hang of what speed ratings mean, you should be able to see what disc might be next on your list.

Practice driving with your putter, understand what it does, do the same with your mids. Anytime you can drive with them without dropping a nut, do it, they are more accurate. Just don't pretend you can use a driver because you are good with your slower, blunt wing discs. If you wanta be good with a driver, learn to throw a driver, and don't bite off more disc than your arm can throw. PEACE!
Not a single person in this thread told the OP to throw a putter 300' before he touches anything else, and you don't need to throw a mid range very high off the ground at all to get it out 300'. And the idea behind discing down to putters/mid-ranges is that they show you the flaws in your form, instead of covering them up like a driver will. You can throw 300' with a driver and terrible form. It is much more difficult to get a buzzz/roc/warship to go 300' without good form. They also teach you how to control the nose angle of the disc, as well as show you that more spin will result in the glide that unlocks those bigger distances (read: above 300').

While by no means am I saying to get rid of those drivers, but the OP certainly doesn't need to be throwing them yet, and will benefit more from learning proper form with easier to throw and control discs.

Last edited by ORGrown; 06-12-2012 at 03:30 AM.