Old 06-24-2019, 11:40 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 7
Niced 23 Times in 15 Posts
Default Extending Distance with Putters and Mids

I've noticed there's a lot of talk about getting putter distance out to ~250 and mids out to ~300 or further. I am nowhere near that right now, but I'd like to put some more focus on that aspect of my game.

A couple questions come to mind, for those that do get that distance or are approaching it:

1. What grip do you use for driving putters/mids? (Should I be using a power grip for driving putters)

2. What putters/mids do you drive with in 10-15 mph wind (please include plastic type)?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2019, 11:54 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 47.9
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 372 Times in 206 Posts

The key to getting to 250 putters and 300 mids is playing catch with someone that throws that distance easily and smoothly.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:38 PM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 170
Niced 728 Times in 333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalk77 View Post
I've noticed there's a lot of talk about getting putter distance out to ~250 and mids out to ~300 or further. I am nowhere near that right now, but I'd like to put some more focus on that aspect of my game.

A couple questions come to mind, for those that do get that distance or are approaching it:

1. What grip do you use for driving putters/mids? (Should I be using a power grip for driving putters)

2. What putters/mids do you drive with in 10-15 mph wind (please include plastic type)?
I use the same grip for every backhand shot. If your goal is absolute distance with putters and mids then i would expect that the power grip would be the way to go.

There are tons of mids and putters to throw into headwinds. Just find stable to overstable discs and go from there. The only thing I will say about plastic type is that premium plastics tend to hold lines less so with that they hold up to the wind better to me.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:49 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3
Niced 225 Times in 147 Posts

1) I powergrip all my discs for throwing, thus use shallow putters. But you can as well use a fan grip, if that feels better for you. That shouldn't matter much.

2) Into stronger headwinds I use more overstable putters, just like I use more overstable drivers. There's not difference. Tell us what discs you have, so we can tell you if and how we would throw them.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,596 Times in 1,648 Posts

I just power grip everything, it depends on what you're used to and your hand size. You don't need to get your fingertips into the flight plate like they might feel on a driver...just mess around with where the fingers end up on the deeper discs.

As far as with wind, in 10-15MPH wind I won't be throwing my typical putters/mids if it's headwind. In tailwind I will definitely throw any neutral putter/mid, they will carry extremely well. Just give them more height...but not nose up or they'll get pushed down. Right to left wind for RHBH they will carry hyzers extremely far. Left to right wind they can get pushed to the right more than you expected so be careful.

In headwinds I would go to a much more stable mold like a Zone for a putter, in mids I usually use a Verdict and if it's too windy for that I'll go up to a fairway. Another reason I don't really throw mids into heavy headwind, is even if they can handle the wind for stability, the blunter shape of them means they'll lose a lot of distance. They don't cut through like a driver. So if it's a reasonable headwind I'll just go to something that will cut through better along with being OS so that I can predict the distance a little bit more consistently.

Mids/putters in tailwinds are great, basically any neutral putter and for mids anything "normal" like Roc/Buzzz/Mako3, and of course the Comet is incredible in tailwinds but not so much in head or crosswind.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:41 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 7
Niced 23 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meillo View Post
1) Tell us what discs you have, so we can tell you if and how we would throw them.
Thanks for the responses thus far..
Right now I have a 175g Supersoft Wizard, a 172g Elite Z Buzzz, and a 175g VIP Anvil..

I play on a windy course, and I find myself more comfortable throwing the Anvil for that reason. Should the buzzz and wizard hold up in 10-15 mph headwind?

I was considering getting a Firm Wizard and a KC Pro Roc for a little more stability than the current Wizard/Buzzz, but I'm not sure that's necessary..

I like to keep the discs in my bag to a minimum, so I'd rather not have more than 1 putter and 2 mids or vice versa..

Last edited by dwalk77; 06-24-2019 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:14 PM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 170
Niced 728 Times in 333 Posts

Quote:
Right now I have a 175g Supersoft Wizard, a 172g Elite Z Buzzz, and a 175g VIP Anvil..

I play on a windy course, and I find myself more comfortable throwing the Anvil for that reason. Should the buzzz and wizard hold up in 10-15 mph headwind?

I was considering getting a Firm Wizard and a KC Pro Roc for a little more stability than the current Wizard/Buzzz, but I'm not sure that's necessary..

I like to keep the discs in my bag to a minimum, so I'd rather not have more than 1 putter and 2 mids or vice versa..
Wizard and Buzz can hold up to the headwinds but you have to have good form and you can't roll your wrist. A fresh firm wizard and KC roc in my mind would be better suited to the headwind but they will still flip over if not thrown correctly. I throw KC aviars and rocs and use them regularly into wind and I dont have issues but I know how to throw them into the wind to get them to do what I want them to do.

Your anvil and wizard are good choices for the wind but you should maybe try something a bit more overstable to see what you like best. Maybe a zone or harp for the putter and maybe try a gator/mortar/caiman, verdict, drone, envy or an A2

Niced: (1)
Old 06-24-2019, 05:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,596 Times in 1,648 Posts

Quote:

In a 10-15MPH headwind I'd be grabbing the Anvil...but not expecting much distance out of it. In a tailwind or crosswind the Wizard and Buzzz will work as long as you are aware of your wing and nose angles.

A KC Roc is a different type of mid from the Buzzz, but still a go-to do everything mid like the Buzzz is. If you're a bag minimalist then it's likely an either/or thing with the Buzzz/Roc.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:47 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 165
Niced 118 Times in 65 Posts

I've never really gotten the hang of driving with my putters. Recently, I was playing a short course and drove with two of mine ( a Champion Dart and a Nova), I was trying to throw both flat, but they both turned and burned.
I feel like I could throw them straight, but would have to put a hyzer angle on them. Is that the secret to throwing putters (and hopefully everything else) longer, or am I not generating enough power on these putter drives?
What's the secret in throwing putter drives, in order to increase overall distance?

Last edited by pmay5; 06-24-2019 at 07:50 PM.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 15
Niced 465 Times in 282 Posts

1. 2 finger fan grip, and I’m getting 250~ 300~ putters/mods most of the time. Try less to throw it hard, and try more to throw it smooth. Good angle control, nose angle, and spin is what I have found gets the slow stuff out farther.

2. Classic aviars, rhynos, rocs. Regardless of wind. Again, it’s about angles to me.

The catch tip is a great one. Get a friend and a field. Start close-ish to each other, move farther away each throw. You will be surprised how far you can already accurately throw a putter or mid, and how much less effort you put in to it. Just have a fun game of catch!

Niced: (1)