Old 07-03-2019, 07:32 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 64 Times in 35 Posts
Default Competition

Explain the right function of competition in recreation. It seems clear that competition serves different purposes, for example biological competition existing as a law of supply and demand serves to equalize and harmonize, while competition as an economic principle serves to disintegrate and divide. I cannot come to any solid conclusion about the need for, purpose, or propriety of competition as a form of leisure. Is it a diseased extention of our national religion of ego-materialism? Is it a useful cultural process?
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 07-03-2019, 08:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,153 Times in 579 Posts

#landfill

Old 07-03-2019, 08:56 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 835 Times in 401 Posts

Competition is very useful. It is how you try to measure up to me, and how I get your money.

Niced: (3)
Old 07-03-2019, 09:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 282
Niced 216 Times in 117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
#landfill
…ahem
Old 07-03-2019, 09:23 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 110
Niced 70 Times in 31 Posts

I do not participate in tournaments (I work most Saturdays), therefore, I only throw recreationally...so when I am out there on the course, the competition is between me and the course, not between me and the other folks in my group. If I can do well against the course I will likely do well compared to the others in my group.

With absolutely no type of competition, what incentive is there to do well. Competition improves one's game....

Niced: (1)
Old 07-03-2019, 09:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 46
Niced 4,365 Times in 1,824 Posts

Hmmmm noill and armus are gone for awhile...noill starts posting again and we also get another armus thread. Coincidence?

Old 07-03-2019, 09:32 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 73 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post
Explain the right function of competition in recreation. It seems clear that competition serves different purposes, for example biological competition existing as a law of supply and demand serves to equalize and harmonize, while competition as an economic principle serves to disintegrate and divide. I cannot come to any solid conclusion about the need for, purpose, or propriety of competition as a form of leisure. Is it a diseased extension of our national religion of ego-materialism? Is it a useful cultural process?
Are you saying that you personally don't find any joy in competing? Or are you just wondering why people find joy in competing in general? If it's the first thing than the answer is obvious, it's fun. Maybe you don't share that feeling and that's cool. The second question is related to evolution. Humans, men especially, have evolved to want to compete for the purpose of mating and acquiring resources. We do it for leisure because we don't really need to compete for life or death anymore, but we still feel the instinct to compete. Kind of like how people engage in sex recreationally (sp?) now, but in the past it was for the purpose of mating and passing on DNA exclusively.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:36 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,687 Times in 766 Posts

Competition in recreational activities is just another socially acceptable outlet for the Darwinian "survival of the fittest" drive that underlies much of human activity.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:35 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 12
Niced 53 Times in 31 Posts

What is the purpose of throwing the disc multiple times to a basket just to achieve a number. Couldn't you just pick whatever number you wanted and write that down. It seems that to add an arbitrary act to get to that number is a waste.

Old 07-03-2019, 11:12 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 27
Niced 121 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post
Explain the right function of competition in recreation. It seems clear that competition serves different purposes, for example biological competition existing as a law of supply and demand serves to equalize and harmonize, while competition as an economic principle serves to disintegrate and divide. I cannot come to any solid conclusion about the need for, purpose, or propriety of competition as a form of leisure. Is it a diseased extention of our national religion of ego-materialism? Is it a useful cultural process?
Can't find the quote, but essentially it goes something like, "Sport is an ontological challenge of oneself." I tend to agree. Also, competition is viewed merely as another form of "play" in the scholarly world of recreation and leisure philosophy.

Niced: (3)