Old 10-17-2019, 03:17 PM

Years Playing: 0.3
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 21 Times in 12 Posts
Default Progress Journal

Do people ever keep journal-type entries on this site? I don't see any but maybe I've missed something.

It would be nice to put down thoughts while getting through these noob stages of development, to maybe inspire or amuse others and to have something to reflect on. But it seems like this is not part of the vibe of the site. Would the noob forum be appropriate for something like this?
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 10-21-2019, 04:56 AM

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 17
Niced 15 Times in 10 Posts

I have my own Wordpress site for my disc golf "journal". It's free and lets me have more control over it than a forum. There is a section for form critiquing, which is sort of similar. It would be an interesting section to add though.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:12 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 61
Niced 257 Times in 152 Posts

There are some threads in the Form Analysis/Critique section that are several years old, and still going. If I wanted to start a progress journal, I think that's where I'd put it.

Old 10-21-2019, 03:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 24
Niced 523 Times in 298 Posts

Another people use as a bit of a journal is theBag Suggestion and Feedback You can take it to the detail of what you did and didn't throw on which course and how it worked. Especially if you are trying and learning new discs.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-26-2019, 12:03 AM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 133
Niced 751 Times in 395 Posts

yes, the noob forum could work... also, the other forums listed above. Up to you, we're here to help.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:56 PM

I'll start off here. It's been a month since I played my first round, so this is a good milestone to lay down. I've played somewhere over 100 holes but less than 150.

I'm simultaneously happy with my progress and anxious about it not happening quickly. A month ago I was terribly out of shape and every throw kind of hurt in one way or another. I'm 40 and started playing 50 lbs overweight, with some beat-up joints. I hadn't been active for about 10 years (though I do have a decent athletic background up to age 30). Now I can comfortably play 9 holes at a fairly long course and still have some gas in the tank, which doesn't seem like much; but to me, it's a lifestyle change.

I'm gonna be as honest with myself as I can be. There's one challenge that is always present in my mind:

The psychological pressure of throwing far. It has me under its spell even though I know I'm being suckered by it.

For the first couple of weeks, I could only throw the disc about 170 feet reliably. Sometimes a bit further, sometimes shorter. I have inexplicably thrown one drive over 250. It was the 18th hole of my first 18-hole round and I was dead tired. Maybe there's something to that, that I was unknowingly relaxed in some way that accidentally gave my throw more whip that one time. But what hooked me was the beautiful, doubly-curving flight path of the disc. I really want to make my discs do that consistently.

What usually happens to me when I drive is what I think people must mean when they say "noob hyzer". The nose goes up and the shot starts on a wide right-to-left path with exaggerated fade. For me, this sort of action seems to occur around speed '8' or possibly '7.' The driver I use is a Star Teebird3 weighing 170g.

I have developed a consistent 180' fairway throw with my Ti BuzzSS weighing 172g. It's my go-to from the fairway, and honestly should be my first choice from the tee as well, but I'm stubborn. The reason it's my go-to is that I can get a full proper flight out of it, provided I don't release early or have "grip lock." Definitely my favorite disc at this time, though my original, much lighter DX Shark from the starter pack flies very nicely for me now, and I can choose to turn it over or not depending on the shot (developing rudimentary control!).

The thing about the psychology of this is that I know that one day in the coming weeks or months the Teebird will click for me. I already throw it farther than my other discs, even with the noob fade action, so I'm close to it being a reliable driver. But to throw it fast enough and with enough spin, I continue to give it too much "arm" in a futile attempt to generate that speed. I assume this happens to most serious noobs, and I'm no different.

The bottom line on throwing distance is that I've gone from 170' to 200' off the tee in my first month. On paper that's a nice improvement. Not world-beating, but certainly not nothing. I should be content. What I want to avoid is finding myself saying two months from now: "I've only gone from 200' to 220' in the last two months," and then a year later saying to myself: "I can just barely throw 300' on a good day," and not being happy with that. I figure that this is a psychological game that goes on precisely as long as you let it, and there is no cutoff point where, in that mindset, I will say: "Cool, I'm totally happy with my distance now."

Remains to be seen if that pressure will stay with me, or if I'll learn to let it go. I certainly haven't yet. It's in the back of my mind every time I step up to some 550' hole knowing that I'll probably be throwing a long approach for my fourth shot.

Putting: What is it?

I really don't know what I'm doing here, but I'm starting to build some ideas. At first, it felt really awkward and pointless. My first round I threw one in from 30 feet and missed every 10-footer and even a couple shorter ones. Now I've adopted an "aim small, miss small" approach. I pick my target depending on how much I think my putt is going to fade. For anything under 12 feet, that just means aiming at the pole.

Farther out, I start aiming just a little right, to a maximum of maybe half a basket outside, and after that I'm too far away for my floppy, silly puts to maintain a predictable trajectory, and I switch to a more traditional backhand throw that's kind of awkward and hard to control the distance for.

I have only practiced maybe 100 putts in addition to the ones I throw when I play a round. I don't have much of a relationship with putting yet. I use a Luna and absolutely love how it feels in my hand, though it tends to roll away more than my starter pack Aviar. I figure I'll have more thoughts on this next time. For now, it's still just a guessing game.

Luck

Just one short anecdote on luck. I had just started using my new Luna, and threw something long in Circle 2 for a layup on a mounded basket. It looked as if it would check up at the pole, and then it stood up, spun around, and slowly...slowly...slowly began to roll down to the far side and down the mound...and then out of Circle 2, and toward the street...and in the street...and then curving back toward the grass...and then it picked up speed, heading out of sight. I found it lying vertically, barely propped against the mouth of a big, open, deep, and inaccessible gutter.

Luck is definitely a thing and it's chaos, lol.

Injury

I've already strained and sprained a few things here and there, but stretching plus sensible rest and ibuprofen, and not forcing myself to regularly play more than 9-12 holes has kept me in there throwing with minimal discomfort. I will not underestimate the risk of injury here. This isn't seen as an athletic game by most people, but it most certainly is. I have a full stretching routine and I listen to my body. If I didn't do those two things I'd have been badly injured in my first month.

Great game, great home course

I wish I had discovered disc golf a decade ago. My home course is Carrollton Park north of St. Louis, MO. It's too long for a noob on paper, but as chance would have it, every shot even at my noob-throwing length is interesting in some way. There is always a tree or a bend or rise-or-fall to navigate. There is literally only one shot on the entire course where my target is "throw it down the open fairway." So par doesn't matter for me. I don't have to feel bad for not getting it there at a certain number. I'm always trying to place my disc somewhere or navigate some obstacle.

Cliffs:
  • I can only throw 200' after a month and I struggle with that
  • I don't really understand putting yet
  • I'm just beginning to develop some control
  • Easy to get injured, being careful
  • My home course rocks (Carrollton Park) and I love this game

Primary discs:

Driver: Star Teebird3 170g
Mid-range: Ti BuzzSS 172g
Approach: DX Aviar
Putter: Luna
Utility: DX Shark

Cheers and thanks if you read this far!

Last edited by disco40; 10-27-2019 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:16 AM

I used to be where you are now around August of 2018. Comparing myself now back to when I first started playing is a big contrast. Granted, I have spent a lot of time since then improving my game as I am really "healthily addicted" to the game.

Random thoughts:
  • The physiological pressure to throwing far is a self created one.
  • As I have gone from about 150' drives being very inaccurate to an occasional 380' fairly accurate. I will take accuracy most days of the week.
  • Throwing far and accurate is mainly about form.
  • I started with a Buzzz Elite Z [5 | 4 | -1 | 1] as my driver, but switched to a Mako3 [5 | 5 | 0 | 0]. Morale: Learn to throw a neutral disc "straight" if you want to learn control. This can also apply to lower speed discs as well.
  • Regarding your "bottom line on throwing distance"... the cutoff is up to you. I thought that throwing a disc 300' would me a major accomplishment and it was. Now, I am looking forwards to throwing 400' drives [having thrown a few 385'ish drives]. But what I am really hoping for is a 325 to 350' accurate shot, which would help me a lot more.
  • Most of the courses I play, a 325-350' accurate shot would save me so many strokes and to me, that's more important than throwing it farther, but landing in the dense pine trees.
  • Regarding putting, after about 14 months, I am starting to settle on a form and a disc. I am on my fourth putting mold [Innova KC Aviar > Innova Dart > Innova Nova > Dynamic Disc Warden]. I have gone through even more forms and I am sure I will continue to tweak in the years to come. But I now feel good about my putting given how long I have been playing.
  • Luckily, I have stayed healthy and have got in better shape. A 4500' 18 hole course used to tire me and I would have to rest every 4 holes. Now, I can play 54 holes and be just fine... albeit tired from the throwing. I don't stretch enough and I feel it after an hour or so on long days of playing.

If I could go back in time, I would have told myself to start with neutral discs [a putter and a mid-range] and go from there. I would have also told myself to be patient with myself [as I can be a bit competitive with myself to improve] and enjoy the process.

This "year" [spring to fall], I have been learning the x-step to increase my distance. It was very rough when I started and played a little worse. Then I got a bit better, then worse, then better, and so on and so on. Now that I know I can throw 325-350 randomly accurate... I am looking to learn to throw that accurately.

Until I want to throw farther and the process repeats itself.

One thing I wish I had done a little earlier is to capture video of my x-step to see my flaws. Even though I had good drives from time to time, I wasn't creating a solid foundation to improve. One thing I would also recommend if you feel you are reaching a plateau you want to go higher.

Old 10-28-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odedge View Post
I used to be where you are now around August of 2018. Comparing myself now back to when I first started playing is a big contrast. Granted, I have spent a lot of time since then improving my game as I am really "healthily addicted" to the game.

Random thoughts:
  • The physiological pressure to throwing far is a self created one.
  • As I have gone from about 150' drives being very inaccurate to an occasional 380' fairly accurate. I will take accuracy most days of the week.
  • Throwing far and accurate is mainly about form.
  • I started with a Buzzz Elite Z [5 | 4 | -1 | 1] as my driver, but switched to a Mako3 [5 | 5 | 0 | 0]. Morale: Learn to throw a neutral disc "straight" if you want to learn control. This can also apply to lower speed discs as well.
  • Regarding your "bottom line on throwing distance"... the cutoff is up to you. I thought that throwing a disc 300' would me a major accomplishment and it was. Now, I am looking forwards to throwing 400' drives [having thrown a few 385'ish drives]. But what I am really hoping for is a 325 to 350' accurate shot, which would help me a lot more.
  • Most of the courses I play, a 325-350' accurate shot would save me so many strokes and to me, that's more important than throwing it farther, but landing in the dense pine trees.
  • Regarding putting, after about 14 months, I am starting to settle on a form and a disc. I am on my fourth putting mold [Innova KC Aviar > Innova Dart > Innova Nova > Dynamic Disc Warden]. I have gone through even more forms and I am sure I will continue to tweak in the years to come. But I now feel good about my putting given how long I have been playing.
  • Luckily, I have stayed healthy and have got in better shape. A 4500' 18 hole course used to tire me and I would have to rest every 4 holes. Now, I can play 54 holes and be just fine... albeit tired from the throwing. I don't stretch enough and I feel it after an hour or so on long days of playing.

If I could go back in time, I would have told myself to start with neutral discs [a putter and a mid-range] and go from there. I would have also told myself to be patient with myself [as I can be a bit competitive with myself to improve] and enjoy the process.

This "year" [spring to fall], I have been learning the x-step to increase my distance. It was very rough when I started and played a little worse. Then I got a bit better, then worse, then better, and so on and so on. Now that I know I can throw 325-350 randomly accurate... I am looking to learn to throw that accurately.

Until I want to throw farther and the process repeats itself.

One thing I wish I had done a little earlier is to capture video of my x-step to see my flaws. Even though I had good drives from time to time, I wasn't creating a solid foundation to improve. One thing I would also recommend if you feel you are reaching a plateau you want to go higher.
Cool post and I hope to be saying similar stuff a year from now.

Your point about wishing you had studied your footwork more actually helped me discover something I had totally overlooked, so thanks!

I'm stepping out to throw way too "open" with my right (lead) foot. It's typically in line with, or even to the right of my rear foot, with respect to the target. I did some poking around and found that I'm probably losing a ton of easy-to-claim speed on my throws, and this is probably contributing to my "noob hyzer." Although planting my lead foot further left will require me to generate more action from the hips/spine, so hopefully my back is up to that.

"Healthily addicted" is exactly how I feel. I think about the game a lot, though I'm not jonesing or feeling too bad if I can't get out on a particular day.

Last edited by disco40; 10-28-2019 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 03:54 PM

Recording yourself should start with your footwork, but also includes a lot more. I also made the classic mistake of having my plant step too open with my right foot as well. I also made the mistake of turning backwards [reach back] too early. Now, I am focusing on doing this after the x-step and it seems to help a lot with consistency.

I would try to work on keeping your plant foot more closed and in line first, then slowly start to move it the left. While you are losing speed and therefore distance with an open stance, I don't think it's contributing to the "noob hyzer". Releasing the disc nose up will help it fade more and lose distance. But you are probably leaning forward more, which sets the shot up on a hyzer route.

For what it's worth, I found The Physics of Flight series, especially the first three to really help me with my x-step. This video by BHS Disc Golf helped me with throwing it nose down. I linked the part that deals with how to correct it.

Old 10-29-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odedge View Post
Recording yourself should start with your footwork, but also includes a lot more. I also made the classic mistake of having my plant step too open with my right foot as well. I also made the mistake of turning backwards [reach back] too early. Now, I am focusing on doing this after the x-step and it seems to help a lot with consistency.

I would try to work on keeping your plant foot more closed and in line first, then slowly start to move it the left. While you are losing speed and therefore distance with an open stance, I don't think it's contributing to the "noob hyzer". Releasing the disc nose up will help it fade more and lose distance. But you are probably leaning forward more, which sets the shot up on a hyzer route.

For what it's worth, I found The Physics of Flight series, especially the first three to really help me with my x-step. This video by BHS Disc Golf helped me with throwing it nose down. I linked the part that deals with how to correct it.
Appreciate the info! Bad weather the next few days, so I'll get in the basement and do some footwork/video stuff and some research.

---

Made a small change to my driver, as the Star Teebird3 170g [8|4|0|2] is just a hair too much disc for me right now. Picked up a Star TL 168g [7|5|-1|1]. Will see if a slightly lighter, slower, and more neutral disc does the trick. If not, I'll go down to the 6-speed Leopard.