Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Disc Golf Courses > Course Design

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer:
Multiple tee pads with one basket location 43 29.86%
Multiple basket locations with one tee pad 26 18.06%
Multiple tee pads and multiple basket locations 75 52.08%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 37
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Multiple Tees VS Multiple Pin Placements

I was just curious about what others thought on this subject.

Which do you like more having a course with multiple tees (red, white, blue, gold, etc.) and one pin placement OR one tee with a couple or a few pin placements... or, I guess a third option would be multiple tees AND multiple pins.

The thing I don't like about having multiple pin placements is you never really know what you are going to get when you show up at a course. For example, I played a course with 3 pin placements on most holes. The problem was I ended up playing some of the "worse" pin placements and not any of the "cool" ones.

Pin placements (I assume) are to make the hole harder or completely different. You will always have better and worse pin placements; with one placement the basket just is and then the golfer can make the hole easier/harder, same/different by choosing the tee. I guess it comes down to if the designer of the course wants to control the difficulty or if they want the golfer to decide that.

Anyways, just some ramblings... what do you think?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2008, 06:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 81
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Here are some more ramblings:

In DG variety = good.

Multiple tee / pin configurations = exponential variety.

Exponential variety = very good.

The problem with courses with multiple setups is they are normally not very FTF.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 78
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I prefer a single pin / multi tee layout, the main reason being that I know exactly what my choices are each time I play. Don't get me wrong...multiple pins are cool, especially when both are equally challenging, but personally I would prefer to have different tee choices. I've never played a course that follows an exact schedule for changing pins, or that had signs showing the current pin location. My opinion might change a little if more courses employed something like that.

The only time I dislike multiple pins is when one is clearly harder/cooler/more fun, or one was clearly the originally intended location and the other is just there for the sake of having an alternate.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Disc Mafia Member

Years Playing: 31.7
Courses Played: 239
Niced 7 Times in 4 Posts

Multiple pin location on courses where you can't see the pins are not much fun for me. The signs are hardly ever updated and that just takes some of the fun out of it. I love multiple tees though! I really like it when it is not just long and shorts, but maybe even turning the hole from right to left handed to really mix things up. That is lots of fun and a great way to make a course feel like 2 different courses.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 241
Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts

Rehashing what I wrote in another thread on this topic:

If I had my own key to the baskets I might like multiple pins... or if there were baskets installed in all the pin positions.

But in general I prefer multiple tees. It gives me control over which course I play: long or short.

Multiple pins have the problem of who rotates them, when are they rotated, how often are they rotated, how is the current position reliably indicated on the tee sign.

If you try to track your scores and/or progress on a course with randomly rotating pin assignmens, how do you know if the round you shot today was better than last week (with different pins)?

It seems like many times when I come across a course with multiple pin positions it's an afterthough to the tee signs and the extra pins are just Sharpied onto the old tee sign.

Yeah, I like multiple tees better.

ERic
Old 11-11-2008, 10:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 105
Niced 194 Times in 80 Posts

As ERicJ says...

"If I had my own key to the baskets I might like multiple pins... or if there were baskets installed in all the pin positions."

Otherwise, multiple pins can just be too much of a crapshoot! And yes, tees that really change a hole, and don't just make it longer or shorter, are great.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:26 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 617
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default Multi tee and multi baskets

I have to agree that multi pins are nice in therory but hardly ever are executed correctly, with the big issue being the tee signs not being accurate. Multi tees would be my preference. I would suggest if space provided Red being beginner/rec, white int, blue advance(maybe not to much longer than white but should change things a bit, tougher shots), and then gold/yellow being your pros.(i'm now going to relook at my course to plan out those third set of tees.) the ultimate option i've seen at a few courses that lucked out and got the cities/counties to pay up have the multi tees multi baskets, you figure two tees and two baskets per hole gives you four options on how to play the course. thats my thoughts
Old 11-12-2008, 12:37 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 28
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let me second what some others have said. I hate multiple pins when you can't tell which one is in use. I have walked too far too often to find out where the basket actually is.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:56 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 18
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Multi tees and multi baskets are my favorite as long as the course is CLEARLY marked. If you have to spend a lot of time hunting for baskets, focus and rhythm are lost. Since most courses have websites or maps available, this is less of an issue than in the past. I second the necessity of easily understood signage and marked pathways to next tees. There are lots of good ideas for unobtrusive markings. The important factor is letting everyone know how to use the markings.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:35 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 9
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree in general that multiple tees are better than pins. I have seen one alternative at this course: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=934 where half of the year it is played one direction and the other half the course is reversed. Both times in the year we have a big tournament where we play two rounds. The first 18 in one direction, then lunch, and after lunch reverse the course and leave it for the next 6 months. You would be surprised how much different the course plays backwards.