Old 10-28-2019, 10:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,538 Times in 1,535 Posts
Default When is a disc in a Casual Area (806.03)?

Does the disc have to be entirely within the casual area, like O.B.?

If not, can you have a circumstance where the disc is not within the casual area, but the lie is? Can you take your stance (slightly) inside the casual area.

Or is a disc in the casual area if the lie---that is, the point where the disc touches the line of play closest to the target---is in it, regardless of where the rest of the disc is?

I had this happen on my own course, with a casual area that's been there for 13 years on a steep, dangerous hill), in a way that I hadn't seen before, and I wasn't quite certain how we should rule.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2019, 04:57 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 154 Times in 84 Posts

My understanding is that taking relief from a casual area under 806.03 is at the player's discretion. So therefore you are perfectly entitled to throw from within a casual area if you so choose.

Quote:
806.03 Casual Area
B. To obtain relief from a casual area, the player's lie may be relocated to the nearest lie which is farther from the target and is on the line of play, at the nearest point that provides relief
Since you can play from within a casual area, the only issue becomes a player trying to take too much relief, and gaining an unfair advantage that way. The card decides where the nearest point that provides relief is.

This all makes me think that precision is not necessary, over whether a disc is in or out of a casual area.

Contrast this to 806.04 Relief Area, this rule prohibits a player from playing within the Relief Area. You play entirely as OB rules, except no penalty stroke. So in this case a disc would be within the Relief Area if it was 'clearly and completely surrounded by a Relief Area'. And you cannot have a supporting point within an OB/Relief area.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Niced: (1)
Old 10-29-2019, 07:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Good point, and one I'll have to ponder. We've had that as a mandatory casual area for more than a decade---you have to take relief, but without penalty---long before the rules split them by creating Relief Area rule.

I need to review this hole, now. It's a steep slope where we don't want people standing, for safety reasons. Our general intent is to have relief at the bottom; it can be hard to determine where a disc enters it. But maybe changing it to a Relief Area is the right answer.

Thanks.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:27 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 154 Times in 84 Posts

Relief Area with obligatory drop zone at bottom? Would require a waiver for sanctioning, but I'm guessing not a problem.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2019, 08:59 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 692
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,681 Times in 763 Posts

Remember that you can mark up to 1 meter toward the basket from the edge of a Relief area even if the disc is not in the Relief area, just like the OB rule.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:00 AM
* Ace Member *

That's probably the route we'll take. I'll still recovering from the tournament; I'll give it more thought later.

Thanks.

Old 10-29-2019, 09:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Remember that you can mark up to 1 meter toward the basket from the edge of a Relief area even if the disc is not in the Relief area, just like the OB rule.
Yes, but that's not what we want.

This is a steep mound with a basket on top. The area we're avoiding is one face of the mound, with a bit of a cliff-edge behind it, that we don't want people falling down. The area runs from about 2' from the pole, down only about 8' (but significantly lower). Normally, relief is on the line of play, still a high-percentage putt, but not a sure thing.

In fact, the strategy from a distance is to hit that zone with an upshot, either sticking, or rolling down and being stopped by a low wall of landscape timbers. Either way, you've got that putt.

The question arose on a disc that landed on the line, on the sides of the marked area.