Old 03-03-2019, 05:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,071 Times in 1,869 Posts
Default The Hips

Sponsored Links

Last edited by sidewinder22; 01-12-2020 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Last edited by sidewinder22; 03-03-2019 at 05:24 AM.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 387 Times in 218 Posts

The view from below in the Follow up on the Clearing the Hips video really shows how the center of pressure between the feet moves and with the bones feature turned on you can see how the spine stays centered. Definitely great visuals for understanding this.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-06-2019, 10:23 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 54
Niced 15 Times in 14 Posts

There's lot of great stuff here. As a former baseball player the Chris Yeager videos help a lot.

The lower body action in baseball players seems to has more similarities to a disc golf drive than differences, but there are definitely some dissimilarities. The biggest difference I notice is the extension of the front knee in the baseball swing. I've seen it recommended that disc golfers avoid doing that, mainly to avoid injury. So my question is why are disc golfers more likely to injure themselves doing this move? Baseball players do it thousands of times throughout their career yet seem to have a very low rate of injury due to that specific move.

Additionally, besides the x-step, what other differences do you see in the baseball swing from a disc golf drive? Would someone with baseball experience be making a mistake to try to duplicate the lower body action in a baseball swing?

Niced: (1)
Old 03-07-2019, 12:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanRehberg535 View Post
There's lot of great stuff here. As a former baseball player the Chris Yeager videos help a lot.

The lower body action in baseball players seems to has more similarities to a disc golf drive than differences, but there are definitely some dissimilarities. The biggest difference I notice is the extension of the front knee in the baseball swing. I've seen it recommended that disc golfers avoid doing that, mainly to avoid injury. So my question is why are disc golfers more likely to injure themselves doing this move? Baseball players do it thousands of times throughout their career yet seem to have a very low rate of injury due to that specific move.

Additionally, besides the x-step, what other differences do you see in the baseball swing from a disc golf drive? Would someone with baseball experience be making a mistake to try to duplicate the lower body action in a baseball swing?
Lower body wise I think the main difference is swinging with two arms vs one arm which changes where the swing center through the body is 90 degrees. 2 arm swing - center is perpendicular to the shoulders between both arms, 1 arm swing - center is through the shoulders out the arm, so your upper arm should be much wider away from the chest/shoulders to fully release/extend away from the body. So your stance will need to turn further back to aim that wider release from your center. It would be like hitting with one arm, or throwing the bat to center field, you wouldn't keep your arm pinned back against your chest. You wouldn't try to spin the bat, you throw/leverage it's weight targetward or through the ball which creates spin/torque as byproduct.

I think the other biggest difference between batting and dg is stride length and momentum. So dg is more like pitching or throwing from outfield in this regard and knee bend. Batters aren't striding very far linearly and less likely to hyperextend the knee with it straightening or less damage.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,602 Times in 1,650 Posts

^Yeah the two handed swing vs. one handed disc golf swing completely changes the arm angles. It feels way different throwing the disc with the throwing arm so extended/wide out in the shoulder, compared to swinging a bat. Conceptually I didn't get that for a very long time.

Also with a baseball swing, you are trying to hit the ball towards the power alley like 30 degrees inside of the foul line, but if the bat slipped you'd probably chuck it over the dugout. With a disc you are throwing the object intentionally, and 20-30 degrees closed of your stance, so that changes where you're leveraging the thing in your hand too.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:23 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 108 Times in 84 Posts

I’ve always been surprised why nobody talks about tennis and disc golf. The form for both are identical up to the follow through.

If you want to see what proper weight transfer, hip rotation, and foot work, look up tennis videos.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:44 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 28
Niced 387 Times in 218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydex View Post
I’ve always been surprised why nobody talks about tennis and disc golf. The form for both are identical up to the follow through.

If you want to see what proper weight transfer, hip rotation, and foot work, look up tennis videos.
Actually, there are quite a few discussions about tennis and dg in this forum. Unfortunately, if you do a general site search for "tennis" the results will be for "tennis elbow". Do a search in the Technique & Strategy Forum.

Last edited by RFrance; 03-07-2019 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:15 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 54
Niced 15 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Lower body wise I think the main difference is swinging with two arms vs one arm which changes where the swing center through the body is 90 degrees.
Ahh there we go... and now all of a sudden the lightbulb turn on and it's super obvious. Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
So dg is more like pitching or throwing from outfield in this regard and knee bend.
Now that I'm trying it the lower body does feel a lot like throwing submarine with the left hand, which you mention in a few of your videos. Throwing submarine right handed I can feel my lower body get into a much stronger position than my RHBH. Something to reference for what the "feeling" should be when throwing RHBH I suppose.

Shawn Clement mentions in one of the videos that nobody has to be taught the stride/hip movement in an overhand throw, they just naturally do it. Makes me wonder why that's not the case with a disc golf backhand. Bad coaching maybe? Or trying to emulate what they don't understand?

Old 03-07-2019, 05:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,602 Times in 1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanRehberg535 View Post
Or trying to emulate what they don't understand?
This is such a big factor for disc golfers. People copying what an X-step "looks" like, and what a closed plant "looks" like. But they don't realize they are walking backwards with the disc behind them and then stepping way forward and opening up. People try to copy what they've seen pro's doing but don't try to feel what a throw should be.

Basically all of us have been guilty of this along the way.

It's also hard because like you said, it's like a lefty submarine pitch, which is not what most of us are used to. So having your righty pitch or right handed batting to reference in a mirrored perspective definitely helps.

I know when I throw RHFH I just think about the hit point/snap and the line. My balance just works, and I throw pretty hard RHFH with way less work than my backhand. Righty backhand I'm thinking about all sorts of balance and positions...I throw pretty well but my BH is still a lower level than my FH in the grand scheme of things. It goes as far or farther, but it's not as close to the highest levels of that type of throw.

Last edited by slowplastic; 03-07-2019 at 05:36 PM.