Old 12-09-2013, 11:06 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed IV View Post
Give that dx a good once over before you buy it, I have owned many darts and all of the dx's have been extremely domey and feel quite different in the hand than a typical R-pro or star. BTW I like a good flat echo star the best followed by a flat regular star but carry neither
Oh, I don't mind the dome. It is only slight. Threw it a couple of times, but in limited space. It seems a tad understable. I'll figure out more, once I have some room to let it fly!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2013, 09:27 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 20
Niced 42 Times in 27 Posts

I bought one of the first r pro darts, and that thing has been in and out of my bag more than any other disc. They usually go in to use on shots that are longer than I want to try with my main mcpro putters. If it windy, I usually still carry them but I will putt a discmania p3 in the bag beside it as a more stable version with the same feel and high speed flight.

I wish I could love the champ or star darts but they all feel as deep as a cereal bowl. Waaay too much dome. My first one is pretty flat. It was fairly flat to start with but after 3 or so years it seems that r pro shrinks a little bit or something so it feels like mid in hand now. And the more it wears, it doesn't get understable it just flys flatter and floats farther with less and less effort. The others I have all suck for the most part compared to it. One feels bad in my hands and the other flies exactly the same as my old one, but always falls short of where I think it will. Drastically leass glide.

I bought one other rpro that had the same flight as my old one, but I threw it into winthrop lake and it floated to the middle before the wind sank it. I felt pretty dumb about that loss lol. Slightly inebriated with a group of buddies on st patricks day, playing a three disc round and we started throwing our putters at each other, two of our putters collided in the air and both fell flat in the lake then sank. D'oh!
Old 12-10-2013, 09:40 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 11
Niced 26 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Give that dx a good once over before you buy it, I have owned many darts and all of the dx's have been extremely domey and feel quite different in the hand than a typical R-pro or star. BTW I like a good flat echo star the best followed by a flat regular star but carry neither
I will second that. The R-Pros are flatter. I ordered some DX ones for our shop and have such a dome you could use them to eat out of. I also ordered my self a Champ Metal Flake one, to use for approach shots and it was a super dome as well. Not cool! Don't bring that thing out on a windy day!

The R-Pro has an awesome flight, feels great in the hand and is a underrated disc. My only problem is that the R-Pro is too floppy to use for upshots/approaches that require a little power (to cover some distance) to get it there. Now if Innova can make that flat Champ one I'm there.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:43 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 20
Niced 42 Times in 27 Posts

DiscGuy, C-p3 is similar feel and almost as stable as a rhyno. I have been loving these for the shot you speak of. I have one of those factory store metal flakes tooo and it is the most understable mold in metal flake I have encountered.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:53 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 11
Niced 26 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmannz1984 View Post
DiscGuy, C-p3 is similar feel and almost as stable as a rhyno. I have been loving these for the shot you speak of. I have one of those factory store metal flakes tooo and it is the most understable mold in metal flake I have encountered.
Thanks for the heads up Zmann.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 16 Times in 15 Posts

I used to use a 175 r pro dart. It really goes far for a putter. Hyzer flip a dart and it flies. But it was a bit too fast for me to be a putter.
And when I missed long putts, it could get ugly.
Oddly I liked the aero more for longer putts, but the aero feels terrible in my hand, probably worse than the domiest/floppiest dart.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 29
Niced 12 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattc View Post
if they made a R-Pro 175 XD I would be happy
There's a David Feldberg one on ebay atm but I expect it to sell for a pretty high price due to the stamp and rarity of being R-Pro.

Look for the bullet or bar stamped XD's (even some pre-flight #) stamps, the plastic is awesome. When I finally selected the XD (only had modern DX at the time) as my main chain putter, I picked up a number of older DX plastics. I have an 88 tourney stamp, two bullets (150 & 172), two bar stamps (167 & 174) but my current favorite is a 173 pre flight #. The latter seems to be the best combo of grip and chain stick. The 150 is unique in that I really don't have to put much more force on it at 50' than I do a heavier one at 30' which gives me a little more control overall.

My ratio of made putts improved by at least 15% by going to better plastic/weights so don't discount that part of the equation.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:21 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 13
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I plan on getting a star dart, I just hope it doesn't have a huge dome to it.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:11 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 37
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discguy42 View Post
I will second that. The R-Pros are flatter. I ordered some DX ones for our shop and have such a dome you could use them to eat out of. I also ordered my self a Champ Metal Flake one, to use for approach shots and it was a super dome as well. Not cool! Don't bring that thing out on a windy day!

The R-Pro has an awesome flight, feels great in the hand and is a underrated disc. My only problem is that the R-Pro is too floppy to use for upshots/approaches that require a little power (to cover some distance) to get it there. Now if Innova can make that flat Champ one I'm there.
Yea, I bought a metal flake and it was a bowl. The echo star I have Is old and yellow (I think that all of the e-stars are green now) and It is stiff and nice and flat. It is a great driving and upshot disc and much stiffer than the standard star plastic.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:40 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
I had room to rip the DX really quick, this morning. I like the way it flies. Maybe even better than R-Pro. Gimme a little bit with it. :thumbup:

Quote:
Yea, I bought a metal flake and it was a bowl. The echo star I have Is old and yellow (I think that all of the e-stars are green now) and It is stiff and nice and flat. It is a great driving and upshot disc and much stiffer than the standard star plastic.
I have been eyeballing the metal flake through the Pro Shop mobile app. I can only select a weight range. Probably no way to ensure exact weight, huh?

And the Dart isn't domey...compared to the Skeeter.