Old 06-17-2017, 09:48 AM

Years Playing: 0.3
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Question Dominant hand isssues

Sorry I'm new to dgcoursereview, not sure if I put this under the right topic. My problem is I'm left handed, throw LHBH and putt with my LH. But I broke my left hand when I was younger so I learned to throw baseball's (ect.) with my RH. Now I'm stuck with LHBH and RHFH throws. Thing is, my left arms rotator cuff is a little screwy at the moment so I've found myself trying to decide if I should stick left handed or just go righty and work on RHBH. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated my fellow disc huckers!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2017, 10:42 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 96 Times in 69 Posts

Can you do both? Occasionally, you will see threads on here about people trying to be ambidextrous. It would be a great advantage if you were able to do it with any consistency because a LHBH does different things than a RHFH. I just think it's hard enough (for me at least) to get good at something with one hand, much less two. I write and draw left-handed but play all sports right-handed.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:16 AM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I play all my sports righty too! Both my LFBH and RHFH throws are solid, LHFH just feels unnatural running up. Problem is they both go right to left. I've had to really practice anhyzer shots for right to left, just getting into LHBH flex shots recently for trickier stuff. Taking you're advice into consideration I'll just have to take time off for my left arm to feel good again, now I feel special being able to use both arms hahaha.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-17-2017, 11:26 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 106
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 171 Times in 130 Posts

It's not uncommon for lefties to have the interesting combination of LHBH and RHFH. If the LHFH feels unnatural, and you have rotator cuff issues in that shoulder anyway, then I'd say don't press it. The thing about backhand throws in general is that I think they are more versatile, meaning that a backhand only player can make shots and hit lines that a forehand only player would not be able to hit. I also think that backhand throws (if your form is okay) are not as taxing on your upper extremities (i.e. shoulder and elbow) as forehands.

So out of your current throws, I think you might benefit from continuing to work on the LHBH if you're not beating up your body. Have you tried RHBH? There would be a big benefit to having BH throws with both hands if you could manage it.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:39 AM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

LHBH is my go to for the majority of my shots, I love all the angles you're able to hit with a BH. I've been doing a lot of reading into back hand throws and form and such and I think I was trying to muscle my drives too much. I think that's what caused the stress on my left rotator cuff. I want to get back on the course asap so i'm treating my arm like a wounded bird.

I actually haven't tried RHBH on my drives, I have used it for approaches in touch situations though. I found out I have a nice floaty right to left RHBH approach shot. It feels pretty good standing still but i'll have to give it a try driving.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:15 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 78 Times in 70 Posts

I am RH dominant but have multiple ambidextrous family members and I can throw a decent LHBH (125-150) but my LHFH is a wobbly OAT piece of garbage. I can putt decently with my LH out to about 20'. I was trying to learn LHBH for my approach shots as it is was very hard for me to power down my RHFH. I still am working a bit to hopefully get my LHFH to 200 and LHBH to 300, my RHFH maxed out about 350 and my RHBH is breaking 400 on good pulls. My best advice is to learn both throws RH and LH as you never know what funky line you will need to throw from.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:04 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am RH dominant, but I started practicing with both hands when I started DG. For me it took some time to get confident using my LH, but now my BH is pretty good with both hands.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Old 06-19-2017, 11:01 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 38.1
Courses Played: 19
Niced 44 Times in 22 Posts

While I do not wish to discourage you, a human's physiological construction favors 'sided-ness'. In addition, I believe that in general, disc golf, like the other golf is essentially a right-hander's game. For this reason, there are very few successful ambidextrous players and by 'successful', I mean competitive at a top level. The need for consistency and control, as well as these other factors, will naturally lead one to the use of a dominant hand.

It doesn't matter which you pick, other than picking the most comfortable. So don't sweat it. As you gain experience, consistency and control will naturally evolve, and one advantage of playing with both hands is not only additional 'tools in the bag', but the wear and tear on your body will be more even (check out the body symmetry of tennis players, for example).

An additional note: Any throw where your arm is above your shoulder (i.e.: tomahawks, thumbers, etc.) will severely stress your rotator cuff, so I recommend extreme caution here.