#31  
Old 05-27-2012, 10:32 PM
Wanderer Wanderer is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 565
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemilemore View Post
I agree with the TL comparison on the FD...

As far as the River not being a control driver, I am finding the opposite with my GL. If I get a good rip on it, it goes nice and straight and, now that it is a little beat, just drops to the ground with little fade. My TM River is great for hyzer flips. And, they both power down very well. When it is windy, I break out the Teebird, but I am having a blast with the River otherwise.
Well, it's easier to control than most max distance drivers, that's for sure. But up against discs like the Leopard, XL, JLS, etc, it pales in comparison as far as accuracy goes. Lat 64 calls it a 'control driver', but the Striker is really their control driver. River's a great disc though, I swear by them. And I used to throw a GL, now throw an Opto. The Opto is a little more stable and I guess you could say more controllable.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-27-2012, 10:50 PM
onemilemore's Avatar
onemilemore onemilemore is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Golden State
Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 6,402
Niced 222 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Well, it's easier to control than most max distance drivers, that's for sure. But up against discs like the Leopard, XL, JLS, etc, it pales in comparison as far as accuracy goes. Lat 64 calls it a 'control driver', but the Striker is really their control driver. River's a great disc though, I swear by them. And I used to throw a GL, now throw an Opto. The Opto is a little more stable and I guess you could say more controllable.
I never really gelled with the Leopard and haven't tried the other discs. However, being that I top out in comfort level around a 7 speed (with the exception of a Roadrunner in the bag), the River gives me a great complement to my Teebirds. I have an Opto on the way to round things out that I am hoping will be able to handle a touch more power/poor form when I break it out.

The best thing about this disc, though, is the extra distance. I walk up to where I thought my drive landed, and I usually have to go an extra 15 or 20 feet. It just does not want to hit the ground.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-27-2012, 11:50 PM
Wanderer Wanderer is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 565
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemilemore View Post
I never really gelled with the Leopard and haven't tried the other discs. However, being that I top out in comfort level around a 7 speed (with the exception of a Roadrunner in the bag), the River gives me a great complement to my Teebirds. I have an Opto on the way to round things out that I am hoping will be able to handle a touch more power/poor form when I break it out.

The best thing about this disc, though, is the extra distance. I walk up to where I thought my drive landed, and I usually have to go an extra 15 or 20 feet. It just does not want to hit the ground.
If you want a control driver that is as long as the River, try a Z XL (former world record distance holder). It is dead straight, even in the wind, and lands flat and soft, even when thrown hard. I picked one up a while back and I throw it along with the River. The XL is speed 7.

Yeah, the glide on the River is amazing, and gets that extra distance every time.

Last edited by Wanderer; 05-27-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-28-2012, 12:37 AM
jdw80550's Avatar
jdw80550 jdw80550 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Greeley, CO
Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,317
Niced 139 Times in 89 Posts
Default

I actually have both an Opto River and S-FD in my bag currently. The FD is for straight shots or small S curves, neutral disc. The River is for annys and hyzer flips only, understable duties. I use to carry two Rivers an Opto and super heavy GL. The GL was for straight shots, but just had too much HSS and I had to power it down to get it to go straight, I don't have to power down the FD to go straight.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-28-2012, 01:11 AM
what'shisname's Avatar
what'shisname what'shisname is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 33
Posts: 490
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timko View Post
I emailed Mark at Disc Golf Values looking for P FDs. He hasn't responded yet.
I would kill for some nice stiff PFD's like that run of DGR stamped PPD's.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-01-2019, 09:23 AM
Bassbrass's Avatar
Bassbrass Bassbrass is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NE Pennsylvania
Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 20
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strauss View Post
My biggest concern with taking out my Rivers will be missing my light, flippy GL.
Try the FD in a medium weight D-line, and cycle them.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-01-2019, 09:46 AM
SD86's Avatar
SD86 SD86 is offline
Snowflake
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA
Courses Played: 8
Posts: 9,171
Niced 2,211 Times in 1,626 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassbrass View Post
Try the FD in a medium weight D-line, and cycle them.
Nice necro bump.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-01-2019, 09:51 AM
booter's Avatar
booter booter is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: the plastic bins in TEXAS
Years Playing: 22.6
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,300
Niced 232 Times in 146 Posts
Default

7 years
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-01-2019, 09:52 AM
Streets's Avatar
Streets Streets is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 9,278
Niced 4,354 Times in 1,820 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Nice necro bump.
No it's not...he's answering a question posed 7 years ago.
Reply With Quote
 

  #40  
Old 07-01-2019, 11:51 AM
Alexplz's Avatar
Alexplz Alexplz is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 1,524
Niced 537 Times in 344 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
No it's not...he's answering a question posed 7 years ago.
Then what the hell would YOU call it
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fairway Driver: Discmania Jackal vs Latitude 64 River bigeman101 Discs 8 03-24-2013 11:15 PM
FD JACKAL New013 The Marketplace 2 07-17-2012 01:00 PM
Jackal or River HyzerBomb7 Discs 11 07-15-2012 06:40 PM
Jackal prejenkinsdesroyer3 The Marketplace 4 07-02-2012 05:43 PM
Jackal FD 7ontheline The Marketplace 0 01-23-2012 11:49 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.