Old 12-20-2019, 06:14 PM

Years Playing: 2.1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Wide Rimmed Discs

Hey guys, I’ve been playing Disc Golf on and off for maybe a year now and I have probably 6-7 discs in my bag but mainly just stick to two of them(Deatroyer and Knight). Are there any other really good wide rimmed discs for Finger Popping(Sidearm) throwers? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2019, 09:01 PM
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 168
Niced 2,466 Times in 1,148 Posts

Yeah, there's a gazillion. If you want to really improve a sidearm, learn to flick everything from the fastest drivers to the slowest putters.

What do you want this disc to do for you, in general?
Old 12-20-2019, 09:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 39
Niced 535 Times in 261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
What do you want this disc to do for you, in general?
Ace 500' holes (obviously).
Old 12-20-2019, 10:45 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 0.5
Courses Played: 12
Niced 72 Times in 35 Posts

On the subject of wide rims and being a noob, is there such an animal as a wider-rimmed but slow disc? Something with, say, the speed of a Buzzz but the rim width of a TL or Teebird3? Say you were able to take some weight out of the rim. Would that just be an aerodynamic fail or could that potentially work? I suppose if that were possible it would already exist and be popular, but I'd like to know from somebody who knows this sort of thing.
Old 12-21-2019, 12:55 AM
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 168
Niced 2,466 Times in 1,148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemkey View Post
Ace 500' holes (obviously).
Champ Groove it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by disco40 View Post
On the subject of wide rims and being a noob, is there such an animal as a wider-rimmed but slow disc? Something with, say, the speed of a Buzzz but the rim width of a TL or Teebird3? Say you were able to take some weight out of the rim. Would that just be an aerodynamic fail or could that potentially work? I suppose if that were possible it would already exist and be popular, but I'd like to know from somebody who knows this sort of thing.
There's not really a reason to do that. Wider rim = more mass in the rim = more gyroscopic. (Except for the overmold discs) the only way to put more mass in the rim is to make them wider which also makes them faster b/c the wing is getting bigger. So to make a wide rimmed disc fly slower you'd have to do something to add drag to the disc, like a bead or a groove top or something weirder. You could make the flight plate thicker but that hurts the gyroscopic property and would make it fly more like a beach frisbee.

I'm talking extremes here though. There are a few hybrid types where the rim blurs the line between midrange and fairway driver. The Squall and Stalker are both Buzzz-esque fliers with more driver-like rims. The Kastaplast Kaxe is another unique hybrid that people like.

Niced: (2)

Old 12-21-2019, 01:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 39
Niced 535 Times in 261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco40 View Post
If you want a very large diameter disc (22.6cm) with a huge rim (2.6cm) you might want to try to find a Prometheus. FYI: 2.6cm would be a speed 16 by convention, but the Prometheus was estimated to be about a speed 8.

The Prometheus was the first disc designed and produced by Salient Discs, with the famous tagline "Designed by scientists, not hippies." (btw, if you're bored, Salient's history on this forum is quite entertaining.)

Niced: (1)